Boosting the Shiva into High Gain...Tastefully

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Chuckracer, Nov 9, 2006.

1. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Supporting Member

I've searched and read all the Shiva Boost questions and discussions I can find, but as a "High Gain" player, they don't really apply to me.

Anybody using a Shiva like this, what are you boosting it with? I'm talking smooth, legato soloing type gain from the #2 channel. I'm thinking Xotic BB...but welcome input.

Oh yeah, it's an EL34, non-reverb head pushing a greenback loaded Marshall cab if that matters.

Mucho Gracias in advance...:cool:

2. Monkeyboy23

Monkeyboy23 Member

"smooth, legato soloing type gain"

That pretty much sums up the BB.

3. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

You COULD look at the Mosferatu as well.
    Fluidly smooth it is. (I sound like Yoda!)
    I had one for a LONG time with my 6L6 1x12 Combo.
    Can get a touch dark is all.
    A Fulldrive 10th, both channels on does this really well also.

Let us know what you find. :)

4. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

I used to use an FDII to get me there. Depends upon your definition of high gain though.

5. jswevers

jswevers Member

I use an Analog Man Beano Boost or King of Tone ...
    Didn't like FDII ...

6. archtopjazz

archtopjazz Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I'm using a Barber Burn Unit with a 6L6 head. Works great.

7. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

The BB should work fine for you, the EQ should help you fine tune what range you want boosted so you can knock out some raspyness and make it smooth. It's a pretty smooth amp anyway so a nice boost should give you a big round sound that you want.

8. gulliver

gulliver Supporting Member

I never played a Shiva, although I hope to try one soon as a friend just bought one.

I've done a lot of experimenting with this, and found that high gain boosting is best using a high gain channel set up with a medium amount of gain and using a high gain pedal set up with a very low amount of gain.

For example, without pedal my Marshall's boost channel's gain is set just under 10. With a pedal, I'll have it 7ish and use the H&K Tubefacor with it. I'll use the high gain setting of the Tubefactor, but keep it's gain very low.

This way, you get a lot more dynamics than using a tubescreamer type pedal, and thicker distortion than using a boost. Any high gain pedal with good dynamics will work well in this set up.

9. nsriley

nsriley Member

I'd say the BB would work great. I love mine for high gain lead tone with the 'plexi' channel on my amp. :)

10. Traintrack

Traintrack Coolest Member Award Aug 2009 Silver Supporting Member

I use a Klon on my 2nd channel (EL34 Shiva). Also the Hot Cake is a good choice over the BB. I sold my BB after a few weeks of Demo'n.

11. Tone

Tone Member

I've been reading that a lot of people love the FDll with the Shiva. Especially on the HC reviews of the amp. What exactly is it about the FDll that makes it sound so good with the Shiva? Do the voicings just blend nicely together?

12. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Supporting Member

Well...my conclusion is...wrong amp. Good thing my singer/second guitarist loves it, so he'll be using it. I'm sticking with my Soldano modded Marshall.

It's awesome for clean and medium gain stuff, and for layering in the studio it will be great (ask Jerry Cantrell), but for straight out rock, it isn't making it.

13. Platypus

Platypus not in rivers, but in drops Supporting Member

I love my OCD with EL34 amps.. I've used it with all 3 of my EL34 tube amps and it just sounds amazing. Using it as a slight volume boost (volume at noon, gain at 9, tone to taste) gives way to a sound you're describing perfectly.

14. twangbanger

twangbanger Member

shiva + KOT = happiness