1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Boosting Woes

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jim Martin, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Jim Martin

Jim Martin Member

I'm trying to use an RC Booster as a post-gain volume boost for leads. If I set the boost appropriate for a clean tone (clean rhythm, step on the boost for a clean lead) then it bumps the high gain tones way too much when it's engaged. Likewise if I set it for a good boost on high gain tones it barely bumps a clean tone at all.

I was hoping to have a pedal that meant "take whatever sound I'm playing and make it a bit louder" but it won't seem to work like that.

Anyone else experience this? Any ideas?

2. Luke V

Luke V Member

Try running it in the fx loop.

3. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Ditto-if you have a loop of coarse. A simple EQ pedal in the loop is my favorite boost.

4. Jim Martin

Jim Martin Member

It's for an amp without a loop (at least most of the time; I have it configured so it will be in the loop if I use my other amp that has one).

But for an amp with no loop, I tried to put it in a similar position in the chain: after compression, wah and all the overdrives, next to chorus and delay.

5. webb

webb Member

I've had good luck running my boost before the overdrives and after the compressor.

6. ccoker

ccoker Supporting Member

that's normal actually

you will get a much louder effect out of the clean channel because it's much less compressed than the overdriven channel

7. Jim Martin

Jim Martin Member

Wow, I haven't talked to you in a long time! About eight or ten years back you were a major cause of my buying a Rivera Jake...you were quite a Rake enthusiast at the time.

Anyway, your point is true if the boost is in front of the gain...the compression on the high gain will largely absorb the volume boost into more saturation while a clean sound will get a healthy boost.

I'm seeing the opposite with the boost after the gain - a much more dramatic volume jump with high gain tones than clean tones. I'd have thought the boost would equally increase the volume of any sound that goes into it, but I'm not experiencing that.

8. D.G.

D.G. Member

Actually, it does equally boost the signal, it's just that a clean signal and a dirty signal are structured differently. As an example, using your clean sound, bash out some power chords, and then set your distortion box to have the same perceived volume when bashing on the same chords. Then, without changing settings, play some single-note lead lines clean, then pop on your overdrive. Your overdrive sound will now seem significantly louder than your clean sound. There are a lot of reasons this is so, but the main one is that a distorted sound is also a compressed sound, so it has less "distance" between its low peaks and its high peaks.

One boost will not work for you if you want to boost both clean and dirty tones an equal amount. Let's say you want this:

1. A clean rhythm tone
    2. A clean lead tone slightly boosted above the clean rhythm tone
    3. A distorted rhythm tone at the same perceived volume as the clean rhythm tone
    4. A distorted lead tone slightly boosted above the distorted rhythm tone, at the same perceived volume as the clean lead tone

To accomplish this, you can use two boosters, one set for the clean boost, the other set for the dirty boost. Or you can use two distortion boxes, one set for the dirty rhythm volume, the other set for the dirty lead volume and a single boost for the clean lead tone. Or you can use one dirt box that includes an adjustable "post" distortion boost channel. Or you can simply bend over and crank the volume on the dirt box when you need a boost, and use the booster for the clean sound only. Or you can use a volume pedal to decrease the volume of the boosted lead sound. etc. etc. etc.

Have fun!

9. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I'll probably just set all three of my boosts (Hellbilly, Hellbaby, Hotcake) to the same level of boosting and use them individually (cascading in gain from highest to lowest?). I can set my (future) KR Doubler to unity gain before all of them... How does that sound?

10. drolling

drolling Member

Great thread!

I've settled on non master amps because of complicated stuff like this. No channels to choose between and no loops to divide my pedals amongst. I use ODs to create a *simulated* 2nd (3rd?) channel, and I've had to pass on some really great effects that just didn't work in front of my funky old amps.

But it still gets too confusing. I'm ripping apart & rearranging my board all the time...

11. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Maybe lower the gain a little on your over-drive. You could just use two seperate boosters for each occation.