Boosts and Comps

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by shuffle, Feb 6, 2006.

1. shuffle

shuffle Member

I currently have Analogmans compROSSor, only am i alone in thinking this is a very non-transparent comp?? It seems to increase the bass frequencies and decrease the highs??? Changes my tone completely. Its sounds great but i need something transparent.

Is keeleys comp a good one to look into for transparency?? And good thickness/sustain ?? If not what is another good option around the same price?

Also, im after the most transparent clean boost i can find, that will add a small bit of gain/grit etc. Im currently loking towards the xotic RC boost. Any other recommendations?? Same price range (used $130-140)

Thanks,

2. kevin hart

kevin hart Supporting Member

i agree with you and would not describe the analogman comp as being transparent. i've also owned the keeley & would not call that transparent either. the menatone jac is a nice transparent sounding comp. i also think the demeter compulator is pretty transparent at lower comp settings.
    the carl martin comp is quite versatile & quite transparent also. the other comp that i've only read about, but is refered to as quite transparent is the pale green compressor. hope this helped.

3. gixxerrock

gixxerrock Member

The Seymour Duncan Pickup booster works very well for me. It can be very transparent or introduce slight resonances to give a slightly vintage or modern character. Extra grit comes from hitting the tube preamp section harder. True bypass as well.

Shawn.

4. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

The barber Tone press is about as transparent a comp as you will find in your price range. Its a parallel compressor which means it compresses your signal and then allows you to blend in the squashed signal with your unaffected tone. It also doubles as a clean boost

For a clean boost with grit I think the RC is probably your best bet but you could also look into the SparkleDrive which is a clean boost and a tube screamer in the same pedal with a blend knob. With the gain all the way down its just a clean boost then you can add OD to taste.

5. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

The barber tone press is a great comp. I'd say it may be the most popular comp on the board, considering price and everything.

Don't overlook the cheaper marshall ED-1, though! Many people do, at their wallets peril

6. shuffle

shuffle Member

Thanks everyone, great help, much appreciated.

Im thinking of looking more into the barber tone press, and RC booster.

Any other suggestions let me know!

Cheers

7. covert

covert Member

Try the Aphex Punch Factory. As mentioned in another thread, I'm havig a really hard time choosing between it and the Barber. The Barber is certainly more versatile, but teh Aphex does the one thing it does really well.

8. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

You might also want to consider the PedalworX McSqueeze. It can double as an Onrage Soueezer based clone and a very nice transparent clean boost without any noticeable treble boost to my ears - seems pretty much "flat response" (different than the McBoost). That along with the Tone Press gives you a pretty wide range of options.

Brett

9. BountyHuntr

BountyHuntr Supporting Member

I own a Keeley Comp and just Sold the RC. I do not find the comp transparent...even a bit muddy at high settings, better than anything else I've had but haven't had the Barber....??? I did not find the RC very clean for a 'clean boost'. I always had a hint of OD even when the Gain all the way down... JMHO

10. jonny guitar

jonny guitar Member

Keep your eye out for a used Katana Boost - perfect for what you are looking for. Has a pull out on it to get a more gritty sound too.

Keeley comp works great if you get the attack control on it....I used it like that until I got the Katana.