booteek... am I in too deep? (Mesa content)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Gasp100, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

I'm second (or third, or fourth) guessing my plan to try and go with a small, unique, boutique amp. I have some higher level guitars (no custom shop, just really cool and great feeling to me) and I'm looking to find an amp to match. I demo'd some great amps this weekend with my friends and they all sounded amazing (and loud) to me, but when we plugged in my simple little Cube 60 I was still amazed at how the BF model could hang (to a certain degree). So, here's the deal. I'm having a hard time justifying paying big dollars for a hand wired boutique amp that is lower wattage and might be a one trick pony (studio only because of low wattage, voiced a certain way, etc...)
    I did get sell a Rivera Fandango because I couldn't get with the OD channel, so I assumed less is more was the way to go for me. But, I'm still looking for the right fit. I owned a Mesa 50cal + that I really liked back in the day, but it was mid rangey and it was very hard to get a killer clean channel to match with a killer gain or lead channel at the same time. It still had some great sounds and was portable.
    So, now I'm back tracking and looking at something like the Mesa Lonestar... that one seems to have a lot of potential and a lot to offer for a close to (but less than) boutique price. Of course I'm gun shy because I don't want to buy another Rivera with a different name, but I do have some experience with Mesa and I do think they make some great amps. I also see that the resale value of the Mesa stuff is within my price range without going totally insane.
    I'm a home player/recording guy with aspirations of jamming and small gigs once the kids get a little older (and I get my chops back :rolleyes:).
    Is there another Mesa that is close to the Lonestar in voicing, but maybe lower wattage (price range)? I heard some clips of Andy Timmons with his Lonestar and it was nice.

2. picnic

picnic Supporting Member

Lonestar Classic has always been one of my favorite amps. Good tones at all volume ranges, nice reverb, two channels, lots of useable features. I sold my 2x12 mostly because of the weight. I would pickup a 1x12 Classic in a heart beat if I needed a do-it-all-amp. TR and DR tones in one cab. Not a high gainer, but the LSC definitey does the Fender clean thing very well.

I wouldn't consider the LSC boutique, it's pricier, built well and gets the tones.

3. Gasp100

When you say "not a high gainer" do you mean no "metal" high gain scooped V <no interest in that sound>, or any gain? Does this only get to "edge of breakup" or can I get that sweet, singing sustain that I remember from the 50 cal. on the second gain channel?

4. bluestarbass

bluestarbass Member

what about a mesa subway rocket, thats the smallest mesa ive seen and ive heard very good things about it.

5. ScottR

ScottR Member

how about the new Mesa Express amps. they have low power options

6. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Supporting Member

What kind of tones are you looking for? Do you play single coils, humbuckers or both?

7. SFW

SFW Member

I'd say either check out the Lone Star Classic or an F30. Both are great amps that will cover a lot of sonic ground and do it well. I say the F30 because it sounds soooo much better that the F50 or F100. I think the preamp circuit for the F series works so much better with the F30's EL84 power section.

8. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

I am always confused when people say that the LSC is not capable of producing high gain.

The lead channel has MORE than enough gain to get awesome sustain at moderate levels without the need for a stompbox.

Does it have the over-the-top crushing metal crunch like Rectos or an Uberschall? No. However, for anything from country cleans to biting blues to wailing SRV to EJ-esque leads it's a pretty happening instrument.

Dial the bass back, keep the drive and gain in check, play with some finesse and you will be rewarded.

;)

9. Mullenski

Mullenski Gold Supporting Member

+1 on the Express amps. Especially now that the 5:25 comes with a 12 inch speaker. Lovin' mine!

10. ScottR

ScottR Member

you can get the 5:25 with a 12" Uh Oh:worried <-runs to check account balance

11. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

I have to respectfully disagree here...I could never get that great, singing sustain out of my LSC without using a stompbox, so I replaced it with an Egnater Mod50. I am not a metalhead - I'm into SRV, EJ, Santana, etc - and the LSC just couldn't quite get there, at least using low-output vintage single coil pickups.

That said, the LSC is a great sounding amp, with very sweet clean and overdriven tones. If you have a dirt box that sounds great and you don't mind using it for lead sounds, you could do a lot worse than the LSC, especially for the money.

12. Gasp100

Hmmm... I will have to investigate. I will assume the 5:25 (or 5:50) with the 12" would have to be purchased new (because it's a new option)?
    I will do some research on the F30, that sounds interesting to me because I've heard some iffy stuff about the F series in general. The Lone Star's look sweet, I DO have an MI Audio crunch box that I like (and may be getting a Timmy) which I'm sure would push any gain anywhere I would like, but if I could actually get it all out of the amp then I could put sales of pedals towards the final price. I do like my crunchbox though...
    Oddly enough, I think the guy who sold me his crunchbox sold it because he was dialing in his gain on his LSC....
    :RoCkIn

13. Tewbrainer

Tewbrainer Member

I like my 2:25 so much i just put it ontop of a 4x12 when i gig, i havnt thought about getting a new amp since i got that thing.

14. mesanatic

mesanatic Member

The LSC is a great amp and it definitely shines in the clean to mid-gain area.
    Play one. They have plenty of gain and sustain without a pedal. No nu-metal but that is not what you want.
    The new version has a 10 watt setting.
    Or get a Mesa Tremoverb . Very versatile, but a bit louder with no low power options.

15. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

+1 The LSC can be dialed in to sound like a monster. It has plenty of gain in the drive channel.

16. Gasp100

Wow, found this old thread of mine. Bump I guess. I would like to hear more direct experience with the following Mesa's:

F-30
    DC3 or DC5 - used to have a 50cal+ (loved it for leads, but not versatile enough at the time)
    5:25 / 5:50 Express

Once again looking for a cool, versatile grab n' go (however I much prefer a 12" speaker to 10"). I'm not really a pedal guy, maye one or two tops. This would be used alone and integrated with my AxeFX as well. Looking for sub $750 used :)

17. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

Fender Deluxe Reverb :D

18. Baminated

Baminated Member

If i was to go mesa, I'd go for their simplest circuit, which is that Dyna-something or other. Supposed to have the best cleans, which is understandable because it doesn't have all of those bells and whistles. I would just dime the master on it, bleed in the pre-volume, get a killer clean, then spike w/pedals

EDIT:Whoops missed the updated post - sorry - not much time to read pages of threads

19. phyrexia

phyrexia Member

LoneStar Special has 4xEL84, switchable per channel from 30w, 15w, 5w.

If you weren't able to get a sustained lead tone out of the Lonestars then there was something wrong with the amp you tried, or you didn't know how to work the amp.

20. Gasp100

I have to admit, the LSS looks really, really cool. I think Andy Timmons plays one (or two)? and I've checked out some of his stuff on YouTube, very nice indeed.
    But, I would not expect (or want) the Mesa to replace my AxeFX; that is why I'm "bottom feeding" if you will :)
    But hell, if I can get a nice amp for a really nice price why not?