Boozter De'Boozter Pedal, a new take on the volume pedal.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by alberob, Feb 13, 2012.

1. alberob

alberob Member

I have always liked the idea of using volume pedals ,but they always had shortcomings for me. the loss in tone etc.I had pretty much stopped trying to find one I liked . Along comes the Boozter De'Boozter designed and built by Aleksander Niemand of Zagray! and Tube Wonder Amps.To begin with it is an active pedal with a few unique features.It has a clean boost in the circuit with variable options which range from 0 boost to -30 all the way to 0 to 30db boost and all points in between.There is also a toggle switch marked Flat/Clarify.This is one of the features that sets it apart from any Volume Pedal ,active or passive I ever tried.The boost circuit is very clean and will push your amp but not add any distortion.It worked really well in the clean settings of all the amps I plugged into.When I switched it to the clarify position when I lower the pedal volume the bass is boosted like on the older stereo amps that had a loudness switch.As I increase the volume it changes the EQ gradually to a mid boost. Nice for leads. I found I liked it best with no more than 15db boost in clean amp settngs.I found that the higher boost settings were better suited to an overdriven amp. I plugged it into my Boogie MIIB in the overdrive channel .It goosed that amp so well.I am still trying it with every amp I have at my disposal. So far it has been plugged into the Zagray!,Mesa Boogie, 2 Red Iron amps, a Fender Twin, a Showman and a Fire Amp built by Adam Stark.It worked well no matter what I plugged it into.The only thing I would change is the on/off switch which is located in the front like most Wah pedals. I would prefer it in the other end, but since I never turned it off at the last jam we had in my studio it isn't much of an issue. I am pretty sure Aleksander will put the switch wherever you prefer it to be placed fore or aft.Enough of this I am going to plug it in and play some guitar.:hiP

2. alguit

alguit Member

Hi,

Do you have any links? I cannot find anything online about this.

Alan

3. alberob

alberob Member

Do a search here on TGP, Aleksnder is a member here and there is a thread of him explaining his design. His online name here is Vacuum Voodoo.

4. VacuumVoodoo

VacuumVoodoo Member

Thanks Rob,
    You're right about "Clarify" setting, it is based on Fletcher-Munson loudness compensation curves. Low end emphasis at low volume ensures that the tone doesn't become thin and lifeless. As you increase volume/gain with the pedal the low end is slightly attenuated while the rest of spectrum is boosted, this allows pushing your amp into saturated overdrive without introducing muddiness or low end flatulence.
    About the by-pass switch: it's placement at the front is standard but it can be placed at the back as an option.
    In fact, just a day ago a customer requested customized version with hardwired by-pass toggle switch at the back i.e. not a step-on switch.

Please check the main Boozter De'Boozter thread in Builders & Retailer Forum for all detailed info on this product.
    Thanks

5. cajone5

cajone5 Some guy Silver Supporting Member

Wow -- looks great :aok
    This is definitely on my short list (of 1) if I ever have the extra $ to pick up a volume pedal. Nice work.

6. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Hi Rob -

I have been putting a Boozter de Boozter through it's paces at my place too.

Hey Rob, I'm continentally 'catty-corner' to you - you're in East Islip on Lon Gisland on the Atlantic side; I'm in Santa Barbara, CA on the Pacific side (GRIN).

I agree with Rob's assessment of the Boozter de Boozter pedal. It sounds fantastic - very clear, very quiet - no 'artifacts' of any kind that I've noticed. The boost function is very solid, and the pedal feels very good and very well made. The pedal is activated like a regular wah-wah is - step into the pedal to turn it on. When it's not turned on, it's bypassed.

The Flat/Clarify switch is a real winner - switch it out of the circuit and it's invisible, but when it's switched in it does exactly what Alexander and Rob say it does. When you're using a gainier tone at the amp and you're using the pedal to add and subtract gain (like to go from a 'crunch' tone to a lead tone, or to use the Boozter achieve both a more gainy and a less gainy lead tone), the Clarity setting is really helpful as it rolls the bass frequencies UP as the volume/gain goes DOWN, which has the effect of slightly beefing up the less gainy tone as you back the pedal down - really helpful in making a 'bigger' sound using less gain, and then it leans out the bass when you add volume and go into 'boost' territory, so the gainier sounds becomes less congested as the gain goes up - great idea!

The only area I have any trouble with is the on/off switch - maybe putting the switch on the back of the pedal would solve my issue, but on my unit, when I do rapid volume 'swells' I sometimes hit the on/off switch and take the pedal out of "boost" mode, so I lose both the use of the vol pedal AND the boost function mid-stride, so to speak, but this is an easy problem to resolve.

Hey Alexander - another thought I've had about it: could it be set up so that the volume pedal part of the Boozter is always on and always a volume pedal w/ unity gain, and then the boost function added in with a step on the switch? Just curious ...

Unfortunately since Alexander sent me the pedal a few weeks ago, I haven't had a gig I could really use it on - my couple gigs since NAMM have been bedroom volume cocktail & background stuff. It's the slow time of year for gigs still though things are starting to pick up (at least that's what I hear ...) But if teh phone doesn't ring pretty soon, I gotta go raid somebody's Blues Jam PDQ so I can hear the Boozter de Boozter work with a band!

Great job Alexander - as always your products work very well and are very well made.

More to come, thanks, Dana O.

7. alberob

alberob Member

Dana I sent you a PM.

8. donstavely

donstavely Member

Hello Aleksander. What is the status of the Boozter DeBoozter? Has it become a real product, or is it a build-to-order?

I have heard some requests for a loudness-compensated volume pedal on the Yahoo Clonewheel forum. Any interest in the organ/synth market?

Don

9. VacuumVoodoo

VacuumVoodoo Member

Don,
    it's a real product and like my amps, it's built to order. As an ex analog synth guy I certainly still have some interest in that market.