BOR & Blackstone ??'s

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by wingwalker, May 2, 2008.

1. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Alright...forget the boost on the BOR for a minute...if you have a Blackstone is there any point in getting a BOR. Is there anything the distortion side of a BOR will do that one or the other side of the Blackstone won't?

2. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

3. coreybox

coreybox Member

They sound different. Do you like the blackstone?

I didn't like the blackstone very much, but I did like the BOR.

4. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

still haven't tried the blackstone. I have heard Scott Peterson's clips, I was impressed, and I remember another demo clip on youtube that sounded like cjod. However, I have heard terrible BS clips, too....so I am on the fence still.

5. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

I really like the Blackstone and use it regularly on my grab-n-go pedalboard. It gives me a great versatile, dynamic, touch sensitive 2 channel OD that plays like an amp, in a small well engineered package. The BOR won't let you switch channels on the fly like the Blackstone. I prefer the Blackstone over the BOR, nobody can tell you what works for you, only you can know this. I recommend you try one out and buy what you like. Jon does give you a "try out" period and if it won't work for you then he will allow a return.YMMV
    Best Regards!

6. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

I'll be honest...I borrowed the Blackstone from a buddy (Thanks T!) and as cool as it is I am having a hard time dialing it in...it's sort of boxy sounding, doesn't clean up well for me at all (in either mode) and really kind of masks the natural tone of the guitar Im playing...almost makes all my guitars sound the same (or at least very similar).

However there are some things I do like about it, and to be honest I have only been messing with a few hours total over about a day and a half or so.

I've been kicking around the idea of getting either a Blackstone or a BoR (like I need another dirt box!) and I borrowed this to see what I might be missing out on...at this point Im thinking about going and buying a BoR tomorrow to go head to head with the Blackstone...

7. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Yeah, truth is that I am too damned lazy and hate to bother anyone by sending something back...like I said above, I borrowed this one just to see.

I do like some things about it, it's funny...it almost reminds me of my old Lovetone Brown Source but with LOTS more gain!

We'll see...Im gonna keep on twisting...uhh...well, there are no knobs but you get the idea!

8. 6789

6789 Member

Remember to open up the pedal and adjust the trimmers on the inside. and try different capacitors. I think I ended up liking the stock capacitors best. I never liked the higher gain settings on the Blackstone, but I'm more of a lower gain guy. I liked the brown/yellow channel best with a low gain setting. experiment with the internal gain set high and the external gain set low. then try it set the other way around.

recently I've been using a Honey Bee for lower gain.

I tired a BOR at a store and I thought it sounded like a different pedal than the Blackstone - two different things. I got a great AC/DC sound with the BOR.

9. PUCKBOY99

PUCKBOY99 Silver Supporting Member

Any time Bro :BEER

Take the time to play around with it....open it up, check the different ends of the trimmer etc. It's highly tweakable & loves single coils (atleast to MY liking! ).

I found the BoR nice & gritty whereas the Blackie can smooth out easier & is more versatile.

Something I thought too.....the Blackstone cleaned up nicer with the guitar volume than the BoR. You can actually leave the Blackie on all the time & just control what you want with a roll off.

Maybe a Marshall vs. Bogner kind of difference....same taste but a different refinement.

Play that pedal Bro. You'll find the right spot :AOK

10. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

Play around with it some and you will find it is very transparent on the Brown channel if set properly. It can be left on and cleaned up squeaky clean on the Brown channel, and fairly clean on the Red channel. I also concur with the above poster who stated that the Blackstone cleans up better than the BOR. I admit that there is a bit of a mid hump on the Red channel, but I find that preferable for leads as it cuts much better, and actually sounds natural in a band context. The Blackstone loves Strats and Teles especially, but can also sound sweet with humbuckers, again the Brown channel is the sweet one and the Red the more aggressive. This pedal has a lot of tweakability but once I found the sweet spot for me and my playing style I have found that I haven't had to touch the inside again for any of the amps I have to work with. Again, YMMV. What works for me may not be workable for someone else.
    Best Regards!