Boredom at work = Jono draws a Pedalboard

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mild, Jul 4, 2006.

1. mild

mild Member

So yesterday, I got a little bored at work, and decided to draw out the signal chain of the board I am building. I'm currently waiting on the last few pedals, but it is pretty much complete. Its gonna be a wiring marathon!

[​IMG]

The tremolo is a Cusack Tap-o-whirl, if you were interested. Also, 9/10 on the loooper are in Parrelel, hence why the DD5's are at the end, and not the Reverb Delay pedal...

I've been thinking about this one for a while, of the functionalities that I wanted, etc... 1am, staring at the ceiling sort of stuff. ;)

Basically, the idea is that it runs just as awesomely with one amp as it does with 2, and has selectable stereo outs, as well as the ability to play both amps in mono. Took me a while to figure out how to do it... but I think I got it!

Any suggestions for modified order? Anything in there that looks retarded? I'd appreciate the input...

... and if you're bored at work, draw up your dream setup, and post it up!

Jono

2. Medication

Medication Member

Cool board, I was wondering why the Ernie Ball is in the loop?

3. mild

mild Member

Ahh, medication - that's what I need... :)

The volume needs to go after the Tremolo, and before the Delays... as the loooper I have doesn't have an "out" right there, my only option is to put the volume in the loop, and leave it on...

Obviously, the reason for putting the volume pedal after the drives and before the delays is because you want to control overall volume - and not pre volume... Pre volume is should be controlled from the volume knob on your guitar. If you place the volume before drives, the softer you go, the duller your tone gets... but you probably know all this.

The Vol needs to be before the delays so that you can swell and let the delays trail off. Otherwise it sounds dumb. :)

4. Aj_rocker

Aj_rocker Member

whos making the looper for you?? Thats something i want to see.
    Have you throught about having a master bypass. where u click it and it goes to clean (or in your case pedals which arnt in the loops in the loopers)? It handy for being able to do "presets" while ur clean, or just to kill your effects.

But that is one shocking Board.

Aj

5. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

I'm surprised that you could use such a big rig in such a small country Jono- or was it one amp for each island? :rotflmao

Alright now that I've had my fun, it looks like a pretty well conceived rig to me & I'd love to hear the DC and the AC running together :AOK .

6. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

Off the beated track somewhat...is that a new DC or a Samson era?
    Great board btw...and same here, love to know who's building the switcher. You might need a buffer though...:)

7. mild

mild Member

[​IMG]

That's the loooper, AJ. :) Scored it from our very own emporium, couldn't have designed it better myself!

It actually just arrived today, and I've just finished a 30 minute playtest. Its cool! I pulled all the stickers off, works a treat.

I'm going to go with the Axess BD2 Buffer. It occurs to me that BD2 also refers to a certain Boss pedal also... but I thought the Tuner coming out of it might give it away on the diagram. :)

So, here's a quick ballistics report of the loooper...
    I've chucked my Delays in 9 and 10, and it works as it should. I can stick them either in series, or in parrelel (see this link for how that works). There is probably a simple explanation for it, but when I have it in parrelel, and have only one loop activated, with the Delay activated, it quickly loops the signal, and it feeds back on itself continuously reaching a heinous volume really quickly... Doesn't do this in parrelel... Can someone tell me what this is, and whether I just have to live with it?

Other thing... With the delays activated, my volume cuts in half! They are the only things in the chain right now, so this may not be as much of a problem when all the pedals are loaded in (i've run out of cables!), but its kinda weird? With the loops deactivated, the signal is very loud! Just the same as when I activate the MB... I'm gonna need to investigate this more.

Anyway. That's all I got. Help me out, if you own one of these, and know what I might be experiencing? I'm running a Keeley Comp in front of the Looper to boost the signal, but I think I should probably stick a buffered pedal in front, it might help? Might try my hotcake... got a party to go to, must fly...

Thanks guys!
    Jono

8. mild

mild Member

Oh, stressfest - its an 02. So... post Sampson.

Works fine for me... :)

9. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

Coolies...the Axess is a damn fine unit :) I had a Samson DC a while back...aint nuttin' wrong with the newies either and gr8 loooper btw!!
    Awesome set up. Forgot to mention...i hate buffers!! Prefer to deal with signal loss...i've had mine removed from the GCX, although i'm warming to the Klons.

10. mild

mild Member

I love you australians. :) The DC is great! The whole Sampson thing is just a collectablity issue - there are no "real" tonal differences between the new and the old - why kill a winning formula?

So speaking of signal loss... Just got back from said party, and have been experimenting with the loooper again. I tried running it with a Hotcake buffering it... then without, to see the loss I was inducing. Momma mia! I now know first hand why I need a good buffer before this thing. The Axess will be perfect.

So the previous owner had had such a long time since he had used it, that he couldn't remember what everything did anymore. The Parrelel loop was self explanatory, figured that out. The 3/4 switch, and the "On" button, changes between two effects that cannot be used in tandem. I'm thinking this is going to be useful for having my Eternity and EGDM both dimed - one for a huge rythym distortion (EGDM), and one for a big lead tone. The ON switch above it controls whether the 3/4 switch puts out any noise... pretty cool!

There's just one mystery left... a switch to the right, labeled "5 Rev 1". I'm yet to do any testing on it... anyone wanna guess what this does?

As for the loss of half my volume? Didn't happen when I tried the 3/4 switch with a Tremolo and a Reverb/Delay pedal. I conclude... its got to be either the Parallel circuit, or the Delays themselves... Time for more testing!

Edit: Pretty sure that the 5 Rev 1 switch changes whatever is plugged into loops 5 and 1 around in order. Cool! Now I've just got to figure out how I can take advantage of that... :)

11. theHoss

theHoss Member

Impressed, that is a very cool concept. I have just started setting up a stereo rig, and this might be a good way to expand on it. I have the lehle gear already, very cool. Thanks for sharing.

Justin

12. mild

mild Member

Hey, thanks for the kind words, and thanks for those PM's you other people. Knowing what you want, then trying to twist the gear to your evil plans is half the fun of this game, I'm sure of it.

Dual Blues Jr's...? That's superb, that'd sound awesome! If anyone out there is keen to part with a Lehle 3@1, or P-Split, let me know... They are the last two peices to this puzzle. Otherwise I'll just spring for them new.

So - can anybody tell me why when I have only one side of the parrelel loop activated (into a delay), it loops the signal about 4 times per second and makes a horribly loud wall of noise that I cannot control? I can't figure this one out in my head... but I'm sure its something to do with the way a signal works in parrelel.

The diagram again, for anyone who needed it...
    http://www.loooper.com/ParallelOperation.htm