Bose F1 Flexible array

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by billyguitar, Jun 3, 2015.

1. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

2. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

If its Bose its gonna be expensive for what you get

3. speakerjones

speakerjones Member

I'd like to see if it actually works well and sounds good before I even gave a crap what the price tag is.

4. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

Sound quality and price are what's important. The concept is interesting

5. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

Looks elegant. I'm sure it's good for small rooms and easy carry. I'd get one if it was around the price of the JBL system I have. (PRX 700 series,12 tops and 18 subs). We never stress the system and it's probably too much 90% of the time. I'd like a smaller easier to carry rig. That's worth money to me.

6. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

All this does is direct the highs. The 12" driver is not effected at all, so you can't control the lower mids and bass at all. In saying that, it could be a good system for bands playing in various small venues. But as usual with Bose, you need to look beyond the marketing and find out what it REALLY does.

I'm not anti Bose, BTW, I've heard Bose systems sound great, and I have a home theater system which is great.

7. griggsterr

griggsterr Member

Home theater and car stereo is a whole different thing that pro and semi pro audio.
    Overpriced plastic stuff.
    Bose is a lot like monster cable.

buddaman71 likes this.
  8. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

:D

9. speakerjones

speakerjones Member

Lol. People always knocked them for being plastic, and now every hack fader monkey out there owns some plastic speakers. As for being overpriced, the 20 or so Panarray boxes in my warehouse have paid for themselves hundreds of times over. They've reinforced Grammy winners, CEO's of Fortune 500's and U.S. Presidents. Like four or five of them. Just a couple of weeks ago, in fact, I had them hanging in trees all over Yale old campus serving as fills and delay zones, helping to get the veep's words out to about 20,000 students, faculty and guests.

I'm glad you're here to tell us what's okay to be used in pro audio though.

Sure, Bose has had their share of missteps, and yes their marketing dept. is seemingly high all the time. I thought the L1's were pretty much a fail. Still, there are now at least a dozen or so copycats of the PA in a stick category. The ones that have come after have the luxury of seeing where Bose failed.

We have eight of the 802's, and they made brackets for them, so you could glue them together to make a line array (about fifteen years before America caught on to the line array craze). I did some gigs with four per side strapped together with a sub underneath. You wouldn't think much of those little 3" drivers, but when you get 64 of them all moving air at once, those things could shake some stuff!

DaveNJ and jimfist like this.
  10. griggsterr

griggsterr Member

Very familiar with the 802. and for it's time it was good.
    I have replaced lots of them. and not because they failed, because it is now 15 years later and there are better solutions.
    But the 80s are asking for their speakers back now.

11. jimfist

jimfist Member

I'm curious what the performance-to-cost ratio is with this line array + sub. My sense is that it is priced above the typical prosumer active speaker systems, but below touring grade arrays and subs. If I had money to burn, I'd buy something else from a high end manufacturer that is exclusively doing touring live sound reinforcement (EAW, Turbosound, Renkus-Heinz, RCF, L-acoustics). OTOH, if $3000+/- per side of a stereo FOH system were too steep for a basic small club system, I'd go with off the shelf prosumer JBL/Yamaha/EV/QSC, etc. and get solid performance for a fraction of the cost of the Bose stuff, and with the flexibility to use the top end cabinets as stage wedges for monitoring - something that you're not going to get from the Bose array speakers.

This may fit perfectly into some niche markets though. Other than home/car audio for the masses, I've always only seen Bose products for live performance use in those niches...and I live on the doorstep of Bose headquarters here in Massachusetts. I've nothing against Bose, but in the 30+ years I've been active working all aspects of live sound and performance, Bose just doesn't have a lot of visibility, and when I have heard it in application, the results are not overwhelming. In fact, the results are debatable much of the time IME.

12. Guitardave

Guitardave Supporting Member

A lot will depend on the cost...on the surface it looks like a great solution and I generally really like the Bose sound.

13. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

It's the length of the array that determines how low you can go in frequency direction. You would need something like 16' to control down to 250hz.

14. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

15. Guitardave

Guitardave Supporting Member

Those look kind of interesting...I like the idea of being able to swivel one pair of them back towards the band for monitors and one pair facing the audience.

I agree that there is a bunch of crappy stuff that with the name Bose on it...but frankly, so has nearly every popular brand name (JBL, Polk, Altec, etc. etc.) For me there is just too much of an element of snide, snobbery in much the Bose bashing. I've run into quite a few pro sound guys who like the Bose stuff when it is used as intended. My main gripe with Bose is it's typically overpriced for what you get but they have had some real winners over the years.

speakerjones likes this.
  16. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

on a real line array, yes. Not so sure about this one. Looks to me like it's a standard horn loaded 12'' woofer, with the 2'' mid/highs floating on top. So what ever pattern that 12" has doesn't change no matter what you do. But you can obviously change the pattern of the high frequencies to a degree.

jimfist likes this.
  17. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

I really don't have a gripe with them because I own none of their stuff. I have had a chance to play around with the LS1 stick deally and thought it was a pretty expensive piece of crap. My folks own a small home stereo system which sounds ok, although it was stupid expensive. I'm sure they have some decent stuff. I could be wrong, but I am guessing by the time you get into their top notch stuff you are spending the kind of money that you could just as well go get some nice Meyer or Danley stuff.

18. griggsterr

griggsterr Member

Ding Ding Ding you are exactly right. I often deal with these long skinny Renkus Heinz Iconyx speakers that you can digitally steer, but the length of the array determines how low your pattern control will be. I forget the math exactly right now but it's something like 14 times longer than the wavelength you want to control.

19. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

I learned at Ralph's knee.

20. griggsterr

griggsterr Member

I still work for them.