Bose L1 Model I Single System/Single Bass Package

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Baminated, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Baminated

Baminated Member

For 500 seaters/convention/ballrooms w/an 8-10 piece dance/rock/funk/R&B band - ANyone "Gone there" yet ?

dr , b , g, k - w/all 3 singing

2 vocalists

2-3 horns

Could 2 of these rigs support that in a big 500 seater ball room ?

If not, what is the ultimate powered mixer , powered speaker , powered monitor, powered FOH system WITH MINIMAL SCHLEPPAGE ?

Almost looks/sounds to good to be true

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  2. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

For what type of band/music?

Perfect for solo acoustic or duo performers. Bigger bands need more systems.

3. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

My son plays tablas and is in a band with 2 acoustic guitarists, who also play sarod and sitar, along with another percussionist/drummer. My son bought 2 of the L2 systems with 2 Bass boxes and the mixer.

They play small clubs and venues and he said it's hands down the best sound they've ever had. They can all hear each other perfectly and naturally on stage. Good audience projection too.

And they don't have to hassle with ****** venue PAs and monitors and idiot sound men. Their sound is consistently good every where they play because they control it.

I used his system for back line sound for keyboards/bass and Roland V-Drums and 1 guitar and it was great for a small outdoor festival concert under a small/med open tent.

4. Baminated

Baminated Member

So one (1) system won't do for an 8 piece band (w/an external mixer)

Do you think two (2) of these systems hooked up could support an 8 piece group playing dance/rock/funk?R&B, etc . . .?

I'm looking for something I can carry in a pickup truck which can fill up venues as described in the OP.

Minimal schleppage is the key

5. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

I think 500 seats is a bit optimistic for a single system, but I've been using an L1 Classic for my acoustic stuff since the first year it was available and I think it's an amazing rig...the haters will be here shortly with their "no highs, no lows, it must be Bose" BS, so I figured I'd just type it for them so they can cut and paste it into their posts.

For a band to use the system in a venue that large, Bose intends for each performer to have his own rig. We couldn't afford that setup, but for our acoustic trio it's perfect in every way.

A pair of systems would work for you, but it sounds like a conventional system may be better for you, just because of the fact that you're 8 piece...plus you'd want more bass than the little subs deliver for rock...so you'd probably want to add a powered sub for kick and bass. Now you're hauling more stuff anyway, so conventional would be a lot cheaper too!

Still, you can't beat the system for acoustic music or smaller bands in smaller venues where volume may be an issue.

6. jazzandmetal?

What instruments and how many people singing.

One definitely won't work. Two probably won't either for the size venues you are playing.

7. Baminated

Baminated Member

dr , b , g, k - w/all 3 singing

2 vocalists

2-3 horns

Could 2 of these rigs support that in a big 500 seater ball room ?

If not, what is the ultimate powered mixer , powered speaker , powered monitor, powered FOH system WITH MINIMAL SCHLEPPAGE ?

8. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

We need the exact details re instrumentation etc, but one won't do it for sure.

Are you just using them for vocals, or for the instruments too? For just vocals, maybe 2 might work, depending on how loud the band is.

9. Baminated

Baminated Member

OP edited

10. dspellman

dspellman Senior Member

Generally speaking, loud rock groups are not what the Bose is designed for. There's essentially no projection or directionalization with this rig and the total volume isn't high enough.

11. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

12. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

I bought an L1 Compact the other day - on its way to here so I haven't tried it yet - to use w/ my acoustic Crowdster and a mic for singing. The bass player can use his own damn amp :D

I'll report on what this setup is doing for me as soon as it gets here.

13. jazzandmetal?

I work with one of the top 3 Bose sales people in the country ( He gigs with them all the time ). I just called him to see and this is what he said based on the limited info I gave him:

If you are using for front of house only, you may be able to get away with two but you will need some powered subs and a mixer. But four or five would probably be the best for what you are trying to do...all depending on the room.

14. Baminated

Baminated Member

Cool, thanks - so I see choices for 8, 10, 12, sub

1. Which ones do I get and

2. how many of each for the type of setup in the OP ?

15. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Are you going to put the whole band through the PA, or will the guitars, bass & keys use their own amps? For a 500 seat venue, stage amplification may be fine for those instruments.

I would contact QSC and discuss the details with them - they have lots of experience.

16. jazzandmetal?

This or see if there is a local dealer. If there is go in there and talk to one of the sales people. Just make sure they have experience with live sound set ups as not everyone who sells PA systems have real world experience. Plus there are also other things out there besides QSC and Bose that may work better for what you want.

17. Baminated

Baminated Member

I definitely want everyone in the system & in the monitors, regardless

The only problem I have with that, as far as initial inquiries is concerned , is the lack of third party objectivity. As far as the salesman is concerned, they could just say , "buy 2 of everything" - ya know

I should try gearslutz forum as well I guess

18. loudboy

loudboy Member

Try the live sound forum at H-C, too.

You need a conventional system, and a pretty good-sized one at that.

For 500 people you'll need a pair of subs on each side and some mid-high boxes that really crank, especially w/a horn band.

You're also going to have a hard time doing that from the stage, so I'd suggest having a soundman.

Run the numbers - it may be cheaper to rent, and then you won't have to schlep anything and you'll always sound great.

19. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

If you want everyone in the monitors then the Bose system wouldn't be your first choice, IMO.

If you talk to QSC support people, you may avoid the unwanted sales pitch. They know which components are suitable matches for each type of band setup and can explain the reasoning to you, so you'll get nice education as well.

20. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

We use a Bose Classic L1 for our mains...
    A Bose II for drums & a little bass
    A Bose compact for vocal monitors, to mic my guitar amp & guitar synth
    Here's a photo of a recent gig we did in a HUGE room... for at least 600 hundred Navy folk...

[​IMG]