Bose S1 anyone?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by 74princeton, Jun 13, 2018.

1. 74princeton

74princeton Member

I bought one of these last week as a series of good paying solo acoustic guitar gigs came along and there was a fairly strict volume limitation (winery tastings). The L1 Bose that I use for my larger groups works great but its too much for some situations I encounter. I have several guitar amps (fender, etc.) that I can use, but I find the Bose line array system really spreads the sound in amazing ways that's great for those gigs where conversation still needs to be possible amongst the crowd (super important for many of my gigs).

There are not many reviews of the S1 on youtube, but the product description offered pretty much what I was looking for, a small line array outfit with 2 or 3 inputs and a nice on board reverb. Add to those features the bluetooth capability and battery power and you have a tool that really fits my needs if it works as advertised. Having had a couple of Bose L1's I have to admit already being a believer in their products, as costly as they might be. They're pretty well made and sell easily if you want to move on.

So I've played a couple of gigs now and experimented at the studio and have been really happy with its performance. No, it doesn't have a thumping bass but I have other systems for that. But for playing youtubes around the house or at a party, and the occasional acoustic gig this thing does a great job. I've used it with reverb and looper pedals with no issues.

Once I got comfortable with it, I started envisioning situation where this could be useful; camping trips, busking, rehearsals where vocalists might need a small boost. I'm surprised there aren't more people commenting on this as it seems to be a really nice tool for an active player.

Guitar Stu and Crowder like this.
  2. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

How's the battery life looking on these?

3. 74princeton

74princeton Member

The claim is 6 hrs which I haven't tested. There is a method of checking the remaining battery, and it charges whenever the unit is plugged in.

Crowder likes this.
  4. modulusman

modulusman Member

5. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

I'm thinking about down-sizing to two Bose S1 Pro units. They will be used for small outdoor and coffee house gigs. Think they will be OK?

6. modulusman

modulusman Member

I have only used mine for recorded music. A guy who works at the local music store has 2 that he uses for a small PA. Not sure how they would work with a full band.

7. Crowder

I got a battery operated lawn mower and trimmer for my small, flat lawn this year and I've been impressed with the battery technology. I assume the S1 uses something similar. The batteries last a long time and have a remaining charge indicator on the outside that you can press for a status.

The S1's are VERY small, so I can't imagine they'll replace a PA for anything but a small room. Then again, a lot of us solo guys are playing very small rooms these days. It's probably a good tool for those gigs when you just barely can't carry the room without plugging up.

Great for busking too, one would think.

Me Again likes this.
  8. swem

swem Supporting Member

I have one and I'm very happy with it. I mostly use it for the bluetooth function, as well as a monitor at our small stage at my bar. I will say though, that last week I found out what its limitations are. I had a gig at the state fair playing after the main attraction got over (dierks Bentley in this case) and I had brought my x-air mixer, one powered jbl 112, guitar amps for the electric side, and my s1. Set up was rushed, there were two songs left, and I ran under the grandstand where the stage was to do a quick sound check. WELLLLLLLL there is some kind of jamming technology, or the construction of the building did not let me connect my MacBook to the mixer to change any parameters or load my pre sets. I had to bail on all my **** except the s1, and ran my kick drum sound through the jbl as it only was one input. turned everything up to 11 and let it buck. It did OK even in that situation though as you might expect it was lacking in a lot of departments as hundreds of concert goers exited and stood around to listen. Lesson learned, have a better plan B. Either way, this thing is pretty cool for what it is

Me Again likes this.
  9. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

I thought of it too as a Bluetooth thing but the short distance seemed to be a concern. Have you experienced drop outs when moving around much?

10. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

It seems weird to only have a 6" woofer. I guess it's more of a mid than a woof. It seems like sideways and angled up it might make an ok single monitor for a quiet stage in a quiet room.

11. Crowder

No external router?

12. swem

swem Supporting Member

Ive never needed one, it's the first time that I have had connection issues.

13. Crowder

Yeah every XR18 user I know (myself included) has ended up in precisely that situation. You end up activating a WiFi network in a crowd of people who have their phones set to automatically join any open network and it’s mayhem.

Guitar Stu likes this.
  14. Me Again

Me Again Member

Just got my new S1 Pro and the few minutes I had with it last night at home were quite impressive. I actually forgot to turn the ToneMatch switch to "Guitar" for a while, and I was getting a very nice sound out of it even without having that on. Although each channel only has bass and treble control, between the added control you have with the ToneMatch switch, and often with EQ on your guitar or external preamp, there's plenty of tone-shaping ability. The volume this thing puts out was very impressive and I know I'll be able to use it at at least a couple of the venues I play. The Bluetooth feature for break music is awesome too and will be very handy at gigs (and with playing along to). Didn't try any mic inputs yet. This thing sounds great, though, IMO. More playing/testing to come, but this is one impressive unit, as many have said. I also have an L1 Model II system that I love and will continue to be my "large" system for solo gigs.

As for your comment above about 'thumping bass' -- I'm sure you know this, but, just like with the Fishman SA220 that I've used for years, and other pieces of gear, people need to remember what these pieces of equipment are DESIGNED for. Neither the SA220 or this S1 are designed for thumping bass, especially at any band-like volume -- but both do a fantastic job of dong what they are designed for. I guess it's just a pet peeve of mine when people try out a piece of gear that's clearly designed for uses A and B but then complain and criticize it when it doesn't work perfectly for uses X and Y.... Anyway, if you're looking for a versatile, super-portable, long-life battery-operable, killer sounding small PA/monitor system for two channels like guitar and vocals, for relatively small venues, the Bose S1 Pro is one very impressive choice, IMO.

Crowder likes this.
  15. Me Again

Me Again Member

From the Bose User Forum:

Bose S1 Pro Run Time - Up to 11 hours of play.
    The full output of the S1 Pro system is available even when running on the internal battery. This is unlike some systems that throttle performance to extend the battery life.

Charging Times Estimates:
    6.0 hours Trickle charge (system idle, connected to AC Power), switch in Off or Play position
    2.5 hours Fast charge (connected to AC Power), switch in Fast Charge (down) position

Checking the Battery Level
    To check the battery, turn on the S1 Pro (switch in the top position). Wait until the power light is steady blue. Double tap the Bluetooth button (tap tap in under a second). Count how many times the power light blinks before returning to steady blue.
    (The Bose Connect app also tells you, in a clock-dial type of display, exactly how much power you have left. VERY cool....)

Great info, too, folks on the battery and other S1 topics, at this link: http://toonz.ca/bose/wiki/index.php?title=S1_Pro_system#Battery

16. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

Is an Apple Music subscription required to stream music to the S1 Pro, or can it stream from my iPhone's Music app directly? I want to use two in stereo.

17. Me Again

Me Again Member

No -- you CAN go straight from your phone as a Bluetooth source, right to the S1. You just have to have the Bose Connect app. Piece o' cake.

18. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

OK thanks. I just received one of the two S1 units. Updated and connected easily. Seriously, my QSC K10.2 pair is going up for sale like TODAY! These things are absolutely mind-boggling!

Me Again likes this.
  19. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

One note for new S1 Pro users....be sure to have a DATA cable when connecting for firmware updates, not a CHARGING cable. I went through several cables and realized the ones that didn't work were made for charging only, not data and charging.

Me Again likes this.
  20. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

Well I just sold my QSC K10.2 speakers after picking up a pair of Bose S1 Pros. Two different beasts I know, but for my coffeehouse and church stuff, the Bose are perfect.