boss AB-2: True bypass?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by washuffitze3, Jan 22, 2008.

1. washuffitze3

washuffitze3 Member

is the AB-2 true bypass? if not, what is a cheap, true bypass A-B switch?
    thanks

2. hamfist

hamfist Member

3. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

For an A/B switch, the term "true bypass" simply does not apply. It's not limited to the Boss AB-2 - true bypass and A/B switching are two different things.

A true bypass box will either route the signal straight through the box, or via the send/return jacks. A properly wired A/B box will select one of the outputs, while shunting the other to ground (to mute it). When A is active, B is shorted to ground (and vice versa). I'm not up to speed on exactly how the Boss AB-2 is wired, so I can't say if it mutes the unused output or simply disconnects it.

The need for the mute function is also dependent on how you plan on using the box - when switching one input to two outputs, it is essential. But when switching two inputs (two guitars, for instance) to a single output, it is not at all important.

/Andreas

4. washuffitze3

washuffitze3 Member

i plan on using it to tune. If i plug my guitar into the AB-2 then A into the effects pedal chain and B into the tuner. when im running A, will it be sucking tone?

5. washuffitze3

washuffitze3 Member

6. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

As I don't know how the AB-2 is wired, I can't say exactly what will happen. It will most likely not suck tone, though - as the unused output is disconnected, it's not in a position to suck tone. What I'm interested in (and don't know about the Boss) is if the unused output is grounded, or simply disconnected. If it's not grounded, you may get noise issues when tuning.

Unless I could verify the Boss' wiring style, I'd probably go for one of the other makers for this one.

/Andreas

7. washuffitze3

washuffitze3 Member

true. i want to A/B this tuner pedal so i can get this rig goin.