1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Boss Analog Pedals: Green Label vs. Black Label

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Fibber_McGee, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Fibber_McGee

Fibber_McGee Member

I am currently searching for a replacement chorus pedal to my Analog Clone Chorus, and the Boss CE-2 that was made in the 80's seems like a good option to go with. However I haven't been able to find out in specifics which pedal is better: the green label or black label, and why. Can anyone help out?

2. Ned

Ned Member

from what i hear the black labels are better and more rare for boss effects...also MIJ is what your looking for but i could be wrong :jo

3. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

I've been told also MIJ black are the rare ones. I have a MIJ green in very good condition. For clean playing it sounds fantastic. For some reason, when I run it after my OD pedals it sounds metallic so I've replaced it with a Carl Martin XII.

PS - It's for sale on the pedal page.

4. bluescube

bluescube Supporting Member

I have an analog CH-1 that sounds sweet.

5. Non-Digital Tom

Non-Digital Tom Member

The green label Boss pedals are made in Taiwan. I'm reasonable certain that all the MIJ Boss pedals have a black label, except some of the digital pedals had a blue label. I think some early Taiwan made Boss pedals had a black label as well.

Another difference with the CE-2 is that the early models used the Panasonic MN3007 BBD chip, while later model CE-2s used the low voltage MN3207 chip.

6. El Salvador

El Salvador Member

I've read that there was also a difference between the typography. Some older CE-2 models have got the "ce-2" under the R of "Chorus" whereas the later models have got the "ce-2" under the "U".
    I've got an old CE-2 blacklabel made in Japan but "ce-2" is below the "U"...

7. David-R

It's not true that all the green labels were made in Taiwan. My CE-2 is a green label. It says right on the green label "MADE IN JAPAN". It has the MN3007 chip in it.

8. Non-Digital Tom

Non-Digital Tom Member

Sounds like a transitional model then - probably rare. I don't remember seeing any green MIJ labels myself. I was going by the info Boss gives about the labels in The Boss Book. I think the green MIJ w/MN3007 is a keeper. :D

9. David-R

Wow! I might actually own a rare pedal. :cool:

I found a cool web site a few months ago that has information on Boss pedals. I'm not sure how accurate it is but here's what it says about the CE-2:
    http://www.bossarea.com/loadpage.asp?file=boxes/ce2.xml

10. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

I just checked and I've also got a green label MIJ CE-2.

11. loosegroove

loosegroove Member

All the MIJ DM-3's I have seen have been green labels as well.

12. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

They are not really that rare. There are usually two or three up for auction on eBay every time I've searched. I just sold this one yesterday:

[​IMG]

13. ajric

ajric Member

The Boss black label silver screw is what I believe to be the one to get, if you can! There is also some difference in how the lettering in "chorus" appears on different years.

Anthony