Boss BC-2 Combo Drive

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Bar-B-Kill, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Bar-B-Kill

Bar-B-Kill Member

Just wondering if anyone has checked one of these out ? I like what I hear in some of the demos, just looking for any feedback, pros or cons. Thanks! :munch

2. david(j)

david(j) Supporting Member

pro. Awesome pedal. There are a couple of threads around if you do a search, and an awesome demo by pete thorn.

3. Bar-B-Kill

Bar-B-Kill Member

Pete's demo has probably sold me on the pedal, was just wondering how others felt on it.

4. Bman20

Bman20 Supporting Member

i had one for a few days. Its a cool pedal, and i imagine will be very rig-dependant on results, however, for me it was just okay. Really hafta find the sweet spot in the gain stage. But to answer ur question, yea i would say its a good sounding pedal and def does the ac30 thing pretty well

5. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus Member

I wasn't a huge fan. It was cool, but I don't think I could say it didn't the job too well. Compared to all of the near perfect Marshall-in-a-box pedals, this wasn't very close. Still, if you want the occasional AC30 tones out of your Fender, it'll serve you fine.

6. jazzfromhell

jazzfromhell Member

I have one on board right now and I use it alongside my Plexitone. It works great as a low/med gainer and to my ears it's certainly one of the best-sounding ODs Boss has ever released. It has a very nice, firm midrange 'bark' to it and it cuts well in a mix.
    Its not the end-all of Vox emulators though and I'm predicting the new small-box CM AC-Tone will take its place when it is released, but for now I'm very happy with it. I'm holding on to this one.

7. binge

binge Member

I had one, and it was OK, but I sold it a few weeks later. It does have a good gain range and does get some nice AC-30 type tones but it just wasn't for me.

8. mhuxtable

mhuxtable Member

i would think not since it's supposed to cop AC30 sounds, not Marshall sounds. :facepalm

9. Bar-B-Kill

Bar-B-Kill Member

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm interested in adding a different flavor gain to my rig. I have a Marshall, and a Crunchbox, so I got that covered. I think these are digital, so I'm wondering if they would stack well with say a OD-3 / SD-1 ? :dunno

10. david(j)

david(j) Supporting Member

i have been pleased with how the pedal stacks about half the time. it takes some tweaking. fwiw, i've found that it stacks better with the sound knob at noon or higher, and it prefers to be boosted pretty hard, rather than just have more gain thrown at it, if that makes sense.

it really pushes some of the most incredible stacked tones i've heard, though. my RAT and DLS are both magic through this thing.

11. Jon

Jon Member

I read his post as meaning that it's not as close to copping a real amp AC30 tone, as some of the Marshall-in-a box pedals are to copping a real amp Marshall tone.

12. jazzfromhell

jazzfromhell Member

+ 1

13. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus Member

I meant that to be a comparison. Marshall-in-a-box pedals can get extremely close Marshall tones, but the AC30-in-a-box pedals I've tried(Catalinbread, Boss, Tech 21) aren't nearly as similar to the amp itself as the Marshall emulators.

14. binge

binge Member

Have you got the OD-3 and SD-1? Those two stack well on their own IMO. I would regularly run my SD-1 into the OD-3.

15. Bar-B-Kill

Bar-B-Kill Member

Yeah, I have both. I ran the OD-3 into the SD-1, liked the tones for a while. But as usual I get bored with a sound and look for something different. Not sure if I can ever settle on a sound, my tastes change it seems every time I plug in. :nuts

16. mhuxtable

mhuxtable Member

I apologize for my poor reading skills.

17. TheGuacamoleXplosion

TheGuacamoleXplosion Member

Through what kind of amp did you try them? Fender? AFAIK most Fender and Marshall amps are derived from the 1950s Fender Bassman circuit, while Vox used a different circuit approach. That might be a reason why it's easier to make a Fenderish amp sound "Marshallesque" than to make it sound Voxy.

Haven't played a lot of "amp in a box" pedals myself. I plan to get me a Menatone Top Boost in a Can to get some Vox tones with my VSA112P (BF Princeton clone). I have an UK made AC30, but it's so heavy that I'm hardly using it live anymore. However, when I'll get the TBIAC, I'll make a video comparison Princeton Clone + TBIAC vs. original Vox.