BOSS BD-2, How do you use yours? I just got mine!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by brand0nized, Feb 22, 2012.

1. brand0nized

brand0nized Member

I just got a BD-2 from my friend who's helping me to get started in electric for our church worship setting. I've been poking around with it, but I don't think I know exactly what I'm chasing after in this pedal.

How do you use your pedals? (eg, o'clocl settings on the knobs, pick-ups on the guitar, do you always use it with another effect that compliments it, etc)

What does it sound like? You got a video to show me?

I really know what this pedal is capable of!

2. Painasusual

Painasusual Member

I just sold mine. I used it as a booster. Gain off level 2:00 tone at noon.

3. jazzfromhell

jazzfromhell Member

Clean boost:
    Level 1:00, tone 9, gain off

OD:
    Level 12, tone 9, gain 9

Fuzzy lead:
    Level 12, tone 9, gain maxed

4. mhuxtable

mhuxtable Member

its so bright it hurts.

keep the tone knob at a minimum. the gain can get pretty buzzy/fuzzy.

you can use it with the gain at a minimum & level up for a "cleanish" boost.

or crank the gain & get a 60s tinny/buzzy fuzz sound.

get it Analog Man or Keeley modded & you'll have one of the most versatile & sweet sounding ODs around.

5. YETI

YETI Silver Supporting Member

Level 12:00
    Gain 10:00
    Tone 9:00

And ride the guitar volume knob !!

6. Bufferz

Bufferz Member

:agree You will def find that the tone knob sounds best from 9-11 o clock.

and mod's are very justifiable with this pedal in my opinion.

7. FatTeleTom

FatTeleTom Member

+1 to all the above, particularly jazzfromhell's notes (I run the gain a bit higher for a single-coil overdrive sound when I use it that way)

However, I would add that higher settings on the tone knob *can* be useful when using the BD-2 as a boost into another overdrive pedal or overdriven amp. It can function very much as a treble booster set that way (gain set low or all the way down, volume up to 2:00 or so, tone up to about 1:00).

8. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

I have been using a stock BD2 for almost four years as a solo boost. I just sent it off to Keeley for the phat mod and a good pedal became great. I am still going to use it as a boost, but with a touch of hair. Volume at 2 o'clock, tone around noon (with the phat switch on) and gain around 9/9:30 or so. This make the pedal VERY dynamic and responsive to pick attack and volume control giving you a bunch of flexibility.

9. Bufferz

Bufferz Member

Interesting insight. I hadn't tried that. Is the bd-2 you used for that application stock?

10. Bluedano1

Bluedano1 Member

Love it with my Blues Jr. (using single coils). I run this amp clean and as the BJ is an inherently midrangey amp (when compared with SF/BF Fender amps, I also own a '68 DR) , I feel the Blues Driver, always ON wakes up my amp. With the BD-2's Tone at 11, Level and Gain at NOON, I can roll from clean to a very nice breakup with my guitar's volume knob- all with just the right EQ. I feel like tonally it transforms the BJ into a clean> overdriving, more BF-toned amp...been doing this for 10-11 years.

(Note: I play a lot of old R&R, R&B, surf/blues/country where I never get TOO far away from a clean tone)

11. FatTeleTom

FatTeleTom Member

Yep.

I'm able to get a nice Brian May type tone running it that way into a Barber Direct Drive or Small Fry pedal (both fairly warm, non-fizzy ODs). I've compared it to one treble booster (a BBE Freq Boost), and the results are quite similar.

12. mesa/boogieman

mesa/boogieman Senior Member

I've used the BD-2 as a solo boost stock for about 12 years now. Usually gain at 12:00, volume cranked and tone right in the middle. Has worked great for me.

13. iahawk36

iahawk36 Supporting Member

I run all the knobs at 12:00 and then use the volume on my guitar to control how much OD I'm getting out of it.

14. Birddog

Birddog Member

Tone at 9
    Level at 11
    Gain at 1

Use this for an amazing number of songs in my coverband. Kick on the OCD for anything needing more gain.