Boss BD-2 Muddy?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by shane210, Oct 2, 2008.

1. shane210

shane210 Member

Tonight I was trying to use my BD-2 to get a little more distortion while keeping the same volume. The riff I was playing was a picking pattern that occasionally goes into an F#maj - at this point is the only time where the notes are played together. However, when it gets to this point, the BD-2 gets extremely muddy. I had the tone knob at 11 oclock, but tried going either way to get it right. Is there any way to clean it up?

2. Shredcow

Shredcow Member

Use less gain. The stock BD-2 just loses clarity when it goes beyond a certain gain setting.

Modded - that's a different story.

3. shngn7

shngn7 Member

Robert Keeley could take care of that...

4. slambango

slambango Active Member

It's a Boss. What do you expect?

5. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

Yeah, the BD-2 is kinda insane with how much gain it delivers. There's really nothing bluesy about it, and at full gain could easily peel paint with how much 80's shred it puts out. Easiest ways to clean up a BD-2:

1.) Sent it to Robert Keeley
    2.) Sell it and buy an SD-1 instead
    3.) Sell it and buy a TS-9

I went with option 3 :D

6. Godspeed64

Godspeed64 Member

Greatness? Hell BOSS has some of the best pedals out there, a benchmark both in terms of tone and circuit wise.. Like many others out here, they're simply disbelievers who ain't willing to give great pedals a chance..

7. kidmandude

kidmandude Supporting Member

:agree

8. RedUK

RedUK Member

I'm going to call you out on this one : if what you want/need is a TS, then the BD-2 was the wrong pedal in the first place - it's not a criticism of a BD-2 to say that you went with a TS instead.

The BD-2's natural tonal leanings give it WAY more low end at all settings than a TS, hence the stock one can sound muddy.

I've got a (Monte Allums kit) modded one and it's always my go-to OD pedal. I had a couple of very good TS / 808 clone pedals and they didn't stick around, but that's because I don't generally care for them in my setup (mids I already have :AOK )

so for someone wanting to slightly alter their BD-2 yep I say mod it. Going the TS route is a whole different thing.

imo.

9. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

I will agree with you! (Didn't see that coming, huh?) In hindsight, you're right, my BD-2 does offer a lot more low end than my TS-9 or SD-1. I think I let personal tone preference get in the way of my intended logical post. Carry on!

10. TerrorTwilight

TerrorTwilight Member

Use less gain. It could be your guitar's harmonics as well. Try it with a different one and see how that works.

11. RedUK

RedUK Member

:AOK

Sheeyut - if we all go around agreeing with each other, what future does the internet have man ? :)