• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Boss BD2 - which version is your favorite?

Which one do you prefer?

• Total voters

turtleboy3

Im going to purchase a boss bd2. Some people like the keeley modded version but some people like the stock version. To those who have tried both and the waza version
Why did you choose one over the other?

Heard that some people avoided the stock because it is too shrill, and some people might love that tone.

Jason_77

It really depends on how you plan to use it. I've played it stock and I've modded one based on Keeley's mods. If you intend to use it with the volume up / gain down to hit the front end of the amp, you might prefer the stock version since the bass roll off will keep the lows tighter and more defined. If you plan to use it as a stand alone OD, you'll probably like the fuller-sounding modded version better. I've never played the waza so I can't comment on that.

turtleboy3

^^^^
Thanks for the info sir. I might use it both as standalone and a boost depending on a situation. What is the tonal difference between the keeley and the stock one?

coltonius

Señor Member
I've done the Allums H2O mod and the Keeley mod. Both are great, but if you're handy with a soldering iron check out Allums H2O and the MHP Galaxie mod.

coltonius

Señor Member
What is the improvement in sound after the mod? Thanks
With the H2O, it took away the shrill highs (Ge diodes to smooth out the gain a little) and tamed excessive noise at higher gain settings. To me, it sounded a lot like my Timmy- except a touch darker.

I haven't done the MHP mod, but it's highly regarded. I believe the major change is that it lowers the gain a bit and makes the entire sweep of the pot to be useable.

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member
It really depends on how you plan to use it. I've played it stock and I've modded one based on Keeley's mods. If you intend to use it with the volume up / gain down to hit the front end of the amp, you might prefer the stock version since the bass roll off will keep the lows tighter and more defined. If you plan to use it as a stand alone OD, you'll probably like the fuller-sounding modded version better. I've never played the waza so I can't comment on that.
This post is spot on. A stock BD2 sounds fine with the gain down and the volume up, either as a boost or to hit the front side of another pedal/amp. The Keeley BD2 is a really good "all around" pedal that can do nice low/medium gain OD sounds or act as a boost... with the fat switch on and the gain around 9:30/10 o'clock, it's an exceptional boost pedal.

I once was found a Keeley BD2 at Sam Ash and was playing it through a Hot Rod Deluxe... Another patron walked over and said "that's not stock, is it?" It sound so nice on its own without any other pedals. I wish I never sold mine.

amstrtatnut

I dont use my stock one live much if at all. It sounds good but I needed more oomf and gain to keep up with my loud ass drummer.

Howerver when we cut our demo I started with a ts type pedal assuming it would sound good with my strat. It sounded " not right". So I plugged in the stock bd 2 and got stellar tones recorded.

I have no exp with modded or waza. Just thought my live vs studio perspective could help.

Coldacre

I've had a stock one for 19 years. I bought a second one about two years ago and had the Allums H2O mods done to it.
after going back and forth between the two I ended up preferring the stock one. the key is to leave the pedals treble control at 8 o'clock and everything is hunky dory. the H2O mod gives the pedal more gain, it sounds great; but I already have a RAT for that stand-alone high gain thing. as far as an overdrive pedal, I like the stock version much more.

Eliguitar

Silver Supporting Member
I've had the stock, Keeley and Analogman. My favorite and the only one I have now is the Waza! They are all very usable in their on way but I like the fuller sound of the BD-2W

I did the Monte H20 mod to mine. It tames the high end slightly and lowers the noise floor. The only thing I didn't like about it was the SOOOPER bright LED. That thing was blinding, I took it back out and put in a normal LED. I really like the BD-2 - it works great both as a main OD with the tone halfway or a really nice thick boost with the tone down and the volume up.

twp

Likes guitars; loves music...
Platinum Supporting Member
I voted keeley mod which is very similar to my ears (from an a/b test I did) to the Allums h2o mod. I found the Allums and keeley bd-2s to be almost identical. I prefer it over stock because the decay isn't as fizzy and splatty. IMHO, YMMV, all that....

Jupiter Tarts

Ive never used a stock or a keeley modded, but I have a bd2w and I must say it knocks the pants off drives I have that are almost double the price. It's truly a fantastic pedal and having two different useable drive voicings is a huge plus.

turtleboy3

Ive never used a stock or a keeley modded, but I have a bd2w and I must say it knocks the pants off drives I have that are almost double the price. It's truly a fantastic pedal and having two different useable drive voicings is a huge plus.
You love it more than the sd1w?

Jupiter Tarts

You love it more than the sd1w?
Certainly did. When the whole waza line came out, I went and got all 3 one at a time. The SD1W has a smoother sounding, more conventional distortion. I found that it didn't have a much body as the bd2w. The bd2w has more bite to it and that's what suits my style of playing.

I have a main board that consists of 3 dirt pedals: a Mythical Overdrive, a Bogner Burnley, and a Wampler velvet fuzz. I love all my dirt pedals to death but the bd-2w is the only dirt pedal on my minimalist 3 pedal board and I have no problem playing out short shows with it.

Come to think of it, I may have exaggerated that "knocks the pants off" Maybe more like easily keeps up with my other pedals.

turtleboy3

Certainly did. When the whole waza line came out, I went and got all 3 one at a time. The SD1W has a smoother sounding, more conventional distortion. I found that it didn't have a much body as the bd2w. The bd2w has more bite to it and that's what suits my style of playing.

I have a main board that consists of 3 dirt pedals: a Mythical Overdrive, a Bogner Burnley, and a Wampler velvet fuzz. I love all my dirt pedals to death but the bd-2w is the only dirt pedal on my minimalist 3 pedal board and I have no problem playing out short shows with it.

Come to think of it, I may have exaggerated that "knocks the pants off" Maybe more like easily keeps up with my other pedals.
Im really gassing for one but im not sure if the keeley modded one is really better and worth it.

MilwMark

My ranking would be:

1. Waza
  2. Galaxie/stock
  3. Keeley, JHS, ANALOG-MAN
  4. Wampler.
nothing against 3 but I really didn't like them. 4 was temporarily my favorite but I came to like it the least.

Stock and Galaxie are tied but Galaxie really takes it in a different (and cool) direction.

Waza preserves what I love about stock and adds an interesting custom mode that takes what categorie 3 attempts (in my view) but more subtly and thus more useful for me. And it is all splitting hairs.

Rydell

I've got a stock one and a Galaxie and have owned an H2O and a Wampler Brent Mason along with having tried various DIY mods. I'd also add the Boss OD3 to your list. The circuits are similar enough that Boss could have easily painted it blue and called it the BD-3. Have not yet tried the Waza, but all the versions mentioned sound good. It just comes down to your personal taste. You should be a little careful buying a modded pedal off the internet. Most of the mods mentioned here have been hacked and published on the web. You'll want to make sure your pedal was actually modded by Keeley or whoever and not some "third-party" noob who's still learning to solder.

Trending Topics