Boss BF-2 Flanger - internal trim pots & recalibration?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by spookyelectric, May 4, 2016.

1. spookyelectric

spookyelectric Supporting Member

I just picked up an old MIJ Boss Flanger a week or so ago, after not having one for years and years. I'm liking what I hear, but I'm still trying to get it dialed in to something more useful for my current sound.

I noticed that when moving the Depth knob, I get a weird little "flerb" kind of sound. I don't remember this on the previous BF-2's that I've had. Is this a quirk of an older MIJ one, or do you think maybe someone has fiddled with the internal trim pots?

if it's the latter, does anyone have any guidance on how to recalibrate it back to stock? Or should I just note where the trim pots are set now and start making small adjustments until the "flerb" goes away?

I put it up on Reverb.com and disclosed the weird sound (and priced it appropriately-- maybe a savvy modder will say "hey, I can fix that easy!"), but I'd rather get it figured out myself and keep it.

Are there any tutorials for messing w/ the trim pots on this particular Boss pedal?

thanks!
    J.