Boss Blues Driver vs Way Huge Red Llama

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BenGWU, Apr 27, 2015.

1. BenGWU

BenGWU Member

I'm wanting a new overdrive to replace my TS9 and I've pinpointed these two. I've used a friends Blues Driver recently and I really like it, and I like how the Red Llama sounds on youtube demos.

They seem to be quite similar pedals but I haven't seen any comparisons out there. Has anyone played both and if so how do they compare?

Cheers!

2. caspa

caspa Member

Former owner of Red Llama that traded for a blues driver here.

I personally prefer the much larger range of tones from the blues driver, but I would kind of put them in the same tone group. Red Llama is very,very low gain if you're using single coils, and the tone control is pretty essential if you want to use either as more than a boost, or have a very dark amp

3. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

These pedals are in no way similar. I would have sort of agreed if you said Green Rhino but the Llama is a very very very different creature than the Blues Driver. Why do you think they are similar?

4. cr0wnest

cr0wnest Member

I recently purchased a used Red Llama, but I've never tried the blues driver.

The RL is extremely transparent with the drive at zero, so it also doubles as a clean boost if you need one.
    Turn up the drive knob and it'll start to go into overdrive, but even so it doesn't heavily color the original tone of your amp. Because of this it can get overly bright if you have an already bright guitar and amp, and the absence of a tone knob on this pedal means you'll have to rely on your guitar/amp tone control to EQ the highs. I play through a Vox AC4TVH so you can guess how that will be like.

The one thing I like about the overdrive in the RL is how it gets fuzzier as you turn the drive up, and it does so without the high gain of fuzz distortions. This is great for me as i'm not a huge fan of fuzz distortions, but wouldn't mind some mild fuzz every now and then.

Its a great alternative to a TS. Decent mid presence but retains more of the bass than a TS. When I ran the RL into a Shiba Drive Reloaded and I find that it darkens the sound way too much unless I set the tone around 3 o'clock on the Shiba. And stacking the Shiba into the RL makes the highs overly harsh and bright to be of any use. I guess the RL + Shiba combo doesn't play very well with my amp, but that's the symbiotic nature of the RL. If you don't like the overdrive tones of your amp, chances are you won't like the RL either no matter how you stack it.

5. sanfi4u

sanfi4u Silver Supporting Member

+1. Absolutely different animals. No way for them to sound similar, IMHO.

6. jcmark611

jcmark611 Member

I currently own both and they are very different. The Red Llama really relies on your guitar and amp where as the Blues Driver is always the Blues Driver.

7. d-rock

d-rock Supporting Member

RL can get fuzzy, BD can get fizzy :D

I've owned them both and would pick the Red Llama. It's rhythm tone is instant "Mary Jane's Last Dance" which is beautiful IMO. For lead it can go from an amazing clean boost to fuzzy drive. I feel it's much more complex and rich sounding than the Blues Driver.

8. BenGWU

BenGWU Member

I got the impression they are similar in the sense that they both range from like a clean boost with the gain low and get a little fuzzy when the gain is high and they both have a relatively flat frequency response

Cheers for the advice everyone

9. BenGWU

BenGWU Member

Cheers! Spotted one on eBay that I'm gonna go for