Boss BR-600. Any users here

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by zekmoe, Aug 18, 2006.

1. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

I'm thinking of getting a BR-600 as a sketchpad recording tool for my living room. It looks small enough to keep near the magazine rack so I can use it with headphones at nite. Anyone have any opinions on this thing? I have a full system downstairs but I'm looking for something with drums and guitar/bass modeling built in to get song structures and ideas down.
    Thanks

2. wooldl

wooldl Member

Not sure about the 600, but I have the BR 532 and it makes a great scratch pad. Simple to operate. Has drums, but honestly, I haven't figured out how to arrange the drums yet.:rolleyes:

3. bigroy

bigroy Member

+1 on the 532...I really don't worry about the arrangement on the drums, I just use it for writing..and the OD guitar sim sounds damn near like a heavy breathing 4x12 cab... at least late at night :AOK

4. stump

stump Member

I've got the BR1600 and use it for everything from scratch pad to live recording and final product. Works great, sounds great. A friend has the 600 and it's pretty much the same just smaller.

5. Gotham City Blues

Gotham City Blues Member

I just bought a 600 last week, so I'm still learning my way around it. So far so good. I've been sketching a new tune with it, so as a notepad, it works pretty good-not to mention it's very compact and portable. I purchased an adapter for it, though the option of running on 6 AA batteries is cool too.
    However, I was recording my amps yesterday, and in the middle of the session, my card ran out of memory. That might be a consideration for you. The 'protected' song on the compactflash card is pretty elaborate. I would imagine it uses a lot of memory. Other than that, I was surprised at how many useable sounds were onboard. (especially after a little editing of course)

All in all, a pretty versatile sketchpad so far.

6. stekks

stekks Member

Just some questions before I take the plunge and buy one (couldnt find them on their site, or in any review):

- Is that a sequencer for the drum computer? Eg: can you program 8 bars of pattern 'A' then 8 bars of pattern 'B' then.... etc.

- can you export your programmed drum pattern as a MIDI file so you can import them in Protools or something.

I'm asking these questions because I like the use the BR600 as a sketchpad, and do the 'coloring' with Protools (importing the WAV-files, and hopefully the MIDI(?) drum part).

Thanks!

EDIT:

Sorry, now I found the manual on the web. It DOES have a sequencer and it can export the drum patterns with an SMF file! Pretty cool! 8)

7. stekks

stekks Member

Ok! I bought the BR-600 yesterday! It's a pretty cool device! A few presets sound pretty good, others sound a bit too artificial, I guess I have to tweak things a bit. Haven't recorded my (real) amps yet, going to try it soon.

Can somebody please tell me it is possible to export the drum patterns? I misread the manual, and it can import drum patterns as MIDI files, but not EXPORT them.. I'm kinda bummed right now, and I really hope there's a possability to do so.

Maybe a converter-program that can convert the arrange and drum pattern data to a MIDI file?

Also anybody know of a user forum only for the BR600?

Thanks!