Boss BR-600 vs Zoom H2

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by dhodgeh, Sep 3, 2008.

1. dhodgeh

dhodgeh Silver Supporting Member

I've got a BR-600, but I've never used the built-in mics that much.

Now, I'm finding my self want to record stuff via a stand alone portable unit with built-in mics.

I know eventually, I'll probably get something along the lines of a Zoom H2 (the small size will matter one day), but in the mean time I thought I would work with the BR-600 a bit and see what I could accomplish.

Does anyone have experience using these two devices for live recording and such and can provide some insight as to how one stacks up against the other as far as using the built-in mics is concerned?

Thank

D

2. steven.rogers

steven.rogers Member

I had a Boss BR-864 and now I use an H2. I did some (very amateur) trio recordings with both. I tried recording with its internal mics and also with a Shure SM57 plugged into it. They turned out okay, but the recordings I've done with the H2 have come out much better. I think the H2 is a lot easier to use, too.

3. Dr Git

Dr Git Member

I was also thinkinbg of going the H2 route. Right now I have a brand new Fostex, but I don't have much time for my music nowadays (my few hours a day, I'd rather practice) so I was looking for an easier route. The H2 looks like my ticket..

4. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Member

I've owned or used a fair number of stand-alone digital recording devices (and PC apps, too), and the H2 is the only one I use these dayze - simple, fast, accessible, and does a great job.

5. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Member

I have both. I bought the BR600, and someone bought me the H2 as a gift. If I could only keep one, the H2 would have to go, because the BR600 is so much more useful. Both units have surprisingly good mics and work well in the field. The Boss is just two mics, so must be out in front of the performance. I like the H2 to record my acoustic combos, since we can circle the H2, set it up for front and rear mics active (four capsules!) and record in stereo (nearly omnidirectional) like they did back in the day.

The BR600 works fine, I use it all the time. But the size and simplicity of the H2 are great for recording live performances where overdubbing, effects, mastering and whatnot aren't required. The H2 can use SDHC (high capacity) cards, up to 16gb, while the Boss is limited to 1gb. The H2 can also go direct to MP3, which with the 8gb card I use gives me DAYS (not hours) of recording time! The H2 can also produce WAV files which are easily imported into editing software on the PC (Boss supplies a utility to convert their proprietary files to WAV, and that works well, too, especially for large multi-track songs).

6. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

I just got an H2 last night. Ordered it on the internet. Made some recordings with the internal mics. Sounds decent.

I was struck, however, by the cheap plastic and lightweight feel of this thing. It's like a child's toy in some ways.

I guess it was too much to expect a tough metal or even higher grade plastic case for $169.

It will be interesting to see how this holds up.

7. Phil M

Phil M Member

I got together with my old bassist and vocals buddies last night to break in a new drummer. It's been a long time since we jammed and we wanted to see what we had. The singer was setting up the mics and had one of those H2 things on a stand and recorded. I wasn't expecting much looking at it but listening back afterwards, I was surprised that it could capture what it did. That's a good tool for what it does. Just move it around.

Great, now we get to dissect rehearsals and point out who if f'ing up the new songs. :rolleyes: