boss ce-1

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by derek_32999, Oct 23, 2005.

1. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

does anyone use it for JUST or MOSTLY the vibrato? it is supposed to be just like the vb-2 from what i hear.

2. clapointe

clapointe Member

I do , it does a great leslie .

3. erksin

erksin Member

I've owned both the CE-1 and the VB-2 (and a '81 Roland JC-120, which had the CE-1 circuit built-in) - they sounded very similar to my ears, maybe the CE-1 had a little more warmth.

Are you looking for a CE-1 or VB-2? If you are having a hard time finding one or the ones you are finding are out of your budget, the DLS Chorus~Vibe does a killer simulation of both of those pedals. I use my DLS primarily for the Vibrato tones and I personally prefer it to either. The ability to blend your clean signal in with the effect gives you more bottom end clarity and definition. You can get full-on effect saturation too, if that's what you're after.

4. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

actually i am in a strange situation, i got a modded ce-1 off of ebay, and the guy didnt know what the mods were exactly, i thought they were the old true bypass/less gain mod that was done to make the pedal better for guitar as opposed to keys. well this one has had the chorus taken out (i think it is completely removed i cant find a pic of the inside of a ce-1, but there seem to be missing pieces everywhere, but the vibrato sounds spectacular) The vibrato set up is a lot more tweakable and i am trying to decide whether i should keep it or not.

5. erksin

erksin Member

Well, if it sounds good I'd say keep it. Resale on a hacked up unit can't be that great...

The Roland/Boss vibrato tones seem to be the 'standard' by which all of the other pedals are judged, and they do sound awesome IMO. If it's a question of pedalboard real estate, the DLS is smaller, but not by much. The Jacques Meistersinger or the RetroSonic Chorus Ensemble are smaller than the DLS and can do basically the same thing - the RetroSonic is an updated clone of the CE-1.

6. clapointe

clapointe Member

Other than wanting to make the Boss CE-1 true-bypass why would anybody in their right mind hack up a Boss CE-1 !!!!! :Spank

7. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

well the problem is when you make a unit that is stereo true bypass the stereo option goes bye bye :( and yes resale on a hacked up unit is awful, but apparently the guy who did it knew what he was doing, instead of removing the usually unwanted distortion from the unit he added another small board to the side that has a very nice transparent and pick/ volume sensitive overdrive. problem with that is there is no on off switch so it is always on, it is just so transparant that when the dist. is turned down you cant tell it exists. i was told by the seller this was owned by a studio artist in nashville who knows? but, the sounds it does are very nice. it gets very swirly after these mods, in fact i think i will go compare it to my dls, i have never tried to make that get vibrato i have always used it for chorus....

8. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

well i ab'd them for a few minutes and yes the dls does a great ce-1 vibrato, though it is a little brighter(not using the bright input), i like the ce-1 a little better, even though i can use the tone knb on my guitar to mellow the dls out a little. i just dont use vibrato a lot. also i noticed that this ce-1 doesnt have the usual jump in volume when turned on unless the aforementioned distortion circuit is turned up then a big jump in volume occurs. i dont know maybe i will just keep it. :) and one day maybe find someone who will use it a lot more than me :) also i didn t know the retrosonic was that small it looks bigger in the pic's ive seen does it do the vibrato and chorus like the ce-1?