BOSS CE-2: How Much Variation IS There?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Troubleman, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

It just crossed my mind - there's a Boss CE-2 someplace in my basement guitar room, in a box somewhere. I'd been using it on an acoustic guitar..... So I started wondering - how much of a difference/variation is there between green label/black label/made in Japan/made it Taiwan CE-2? I've no idea which I own; I need to find it and check?

Any CE-2 experts out there?

Peace,

jb
    :BluesBros

2. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

I can't tell any...but there's supposed to be.....

3. jbird327

jbird327 Member

I'm no expert but I have two Japan black label CE-2s and they are different from each other.

4. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Don't they have those trimpots inside? What do they actually do? Did they still make CE-2's in '97?

5. ahltarocka

ahltarocka Supporting Member

There is a subtle difference, I have both. The black label is a bit sweeter. However, I sent mine to Keeley for their mod and now it is fab. Sweeter, more diverse and now I am not worried about it breaking down.

Rock On

6. royd

royd Member

JB,
    there is a page with tons of info about boss pedals http://www.bossarea.com/default.asp
    that may give you the info you need. If you go to the other products page, there is a link to a database of serial numbers that together with the info page on your particular pedal, should give you picture of the changes in the pedal through the years.

7. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

I would like to know if there is variations in the speed control between different years. Maybe just inconsistencies from unit to unit? I have a stock Japanese CE-2 and it gets no where near fast enough for a desent faux leslie, but others on various boards claim theirs is more than fast enough. They weren't the Keeley speedy modded ones either. Are some just faster than mine? Otherwise mine sounds wonderful.

8. Coach

Coach Senior Member

I have owned two CE-2s both a Taiwan and Japanese. To be honest I liked the Taiwan CE-2 a lot more as it was less noisy and had really added a certain something to my sound. I loved it but sold it to fund a purchase for a new amp. I then bought a MIJ ce-2 from a forumite here and found that it brought some nasty artifacts into my sound and just lacked what my old ce-2 had. Both pedals were very subtle as well.

Both are gone and I can't see myself getting another. Not out of frustration but because I think there are better chorus pedals out there.