Boss CE-2 Sound - Which Pedal?

shock me

Silver Supporting Member
My friend found a CE-2 in great condition cheap and sent it to Keeley to get modded. I heard the before and after. Keeley mod is great- 3D sounding. Get a CE-2 and get it modded by Keeley.

guitardude5

I have a CE-2 and a DLS Chorus~Vibe pedal. When I had my big pedal board, I used the DLS. It would get very close, and I like having the blend control to adjust how much modulation I would want with the original signal. I have a little smaller board, and I am just using the CE-2. I have both, but will probably end up selling the DLS. I only am using one board, and I have had the CE-2 for so long.

The other guitar player in the band just got a mod tone, and he also has an old CE-2. I haven't tried it yet, but he said it sounds just like it.

If you can find a clean CE-2 for a fair price, just buy one if that's the sound you're after. Most of the other pedals cost as much or more than a CE-2.

cubba65

If you want an upgrade,
the Analogman and Retro-Sonic are both really, really good.

To save money, get a Made in Taiwan Boss CE-2.
Same pedal as the MIJ.

Ed G.

The cmatmods Water Box is based on the CE-2, as I understand, with extra controls.

Unadan

The taiwan ce-2 isn't supposed to sound as nice as the Japan made one? Is that true?

I wonder why Boss hasn't jumped on the reissue bandwagon and remade the CE-2 - I'm assuming all the components are still available and they could make a batch of them.

Unadan

Hmm... looking at info on the water box - looks pretty cool but lists for $225. Anyone have one of these?

Last edited:

stonewolf

<<How does the analogman chorus rate vs. the old CE-2?>>
I have both and to my ears the analogman adds chorus without boosting or cutting any EQ of the tone; a very warm chorus effect. The CE-2 adds treble/upper mids and creates sparkling overtones. I does color the tone overall. I like both but lean towards the CE-2 just because I had it for so darn long and like the bit of treble boost..just my .02

KRosser

Taiwan or MIJ CE-2? Any real difference?
I've owned both and have not noticed a huge difference...there is an internal pot that sometimes got set differently on some of them for some reason IIRC

Anyway, one more vote for a real, un-modded CE-2...my favorite chorus ever

redpill

Better than you'd guess. Feels pretty solid and substantial. I have no way of knowing how long it will hold up, but the feel is good.

cubba65

The taiwan ce-2 isn't supposed to sound as nice as the Japan made one? Is that true?

I wonder why Boss hasn't jumped on the reissue bandwagon and remade the CE-2 - I'm assuming all the components are still available and they could make a batch of them.
I answered your question two posts prior to the above question.
They are the same pedal.
Same chip, same circuit.
:BEER

cubba65

Sorry Dan, let me qualify that.
I (still) have a MIJ CE-2 and had a MIT CE-2.
I took them apart.
Each one had the identical circuit and guts.
I only kept the MIJ because of the supposed value.
The sound was 99.9% the same.
Couldn't pick a fave.

The MIT's are cheap and ubiquitous.
I say buy one and buy one of the boutique ones suggested here
and see which you prefer.
Depending how cheap you get in on,
you may even make money back on the one you sell
or if anything, you wont lose your shirt.

good luck

clapointe1

I've owned both and have not noticed a huge difference...there is an internal pot that sometimes got set differently on some of them for some reason IIRC

Anyway, one more vote for a real, un-modded CE-2...my favorite chorus ever
What he said !

Trending Topics