Boss CE-2 vs CE-5

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by fuzz_factor, Jul 29, 2008.

1. fuzz_factor

fuzz_factor Supporting Member

I recently acquired a Boss CE-5 Chorus in a deal with a couple of other pedals. It's not bad, considering that I'm not a huge chorus fan, but not great either.

Many years ago, I owned a Boss CE-2. Back then, it was a pretty standard pedal. Nowadays, it's pretty well sought after.

Can anyone who owns, or has recently played both comment on the tonal differences between the two pedals? How much better, or worse, is the CE-2? The type of chorusing I like is fat, deep and chewy, almost like if a Phase 90 turned into a chorus, or something... :cool:

One thing I've noticed about the CE-5 is that it's not very intense or watery. It strikes me as a fair to middlin', not very exciting chorus pedal. If it were an OD, I'd call it smooth and low gain...

Anyway, not trying to start a chorus war, just wondering if the CE-2 is truly a holy grail, or if it's realistically pretty close to the CE-5.

2. Stanley

Stanley Supporting Member

I think in a lot of the cases its hype!

I mean how come vintage pedals are always better then reissues lol

3. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

I'd like to know this too. I have a Boss CH-1 and I don't really use chorus that much cause this is kind of a tone sucking pedal. But I'd like to know what's so good about these two...may end up buying one and putting it through the effects loop of a delay.

4. evco

evco Member

I have a couple CE-2's (one w/Keeley HiFi/Speedy mod) and a CE-5, have not used the CE-5 for awhile so comments are in the IIRC catagory. CE-2 fits the fat, deep & chewy description, also a bit rolled in the high end (HiFi mod takes care of that), thick in the mids and can be overdriven with mid-high output humbuckers. CE-5 has more headroom and is not as thick in the lows/mids, more 'crisp' sounding than the CE-2. CE-5 is less of a tone sucker (seems to have a better buffer) than either of the CE-2's, the CE-2 on my board is in a true bypass strip.

I play mainly single coils & the CE-2 w/Keeley mods is on my board. If I primarily played HB's I might have the CE-5 on the board.

5. Daniel-San

Daniel-San Member

I'm with evco on this one. The CE2 is much fatter/warmer than the CE5. The CE5 sounds quite sterile to me.

6. jstone

jstone Member

THe answer to almost all vintage chorus and delay questions are Bucket Brigade Devices or BBD. They made their delay by filling one capacitor and empty that capacitor into the next and so on. The CS-2 (if I remember right) Had a 1024 stage BBD and the fact that every stage in that are coloring the sound makes the difference.

BBD technology was replaced by digital sampling technology.

Currently there are still some of the original Toshiba MN3XXX series BBD out there for sale but they are not cheap.

For most uses I still prefer the CE-2 and the higher voltage unit CE-1. They are great and will probably remain classics for a long time.

As for digital Chorus?
    TC-2290 does it very well so do the Eventide Orville.

But still a modded CE-2 with wet/dry balance control added does it on guitar for me better than anything else.

7. Flaser_Phanger

Flaser_Phanger Member

songtalk likes this.
  8. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

i love and prefer the ce5. i used it primarily as a leslie simulator, until my dd20 took its place (in both sound and real estate)

i MAY remember INcorrectly, but i think there are both analog and digital versions of the CE5. my recall is sort of fuzzy on this. EDIT: i do remember finding a page about this on the net, but can't in the first five minutes of searching for y'all.

i have a made in taiwan with the pink label on the bottom. it sounds GREAT at fast speeds with the depth at around 10 oclock. i also love the ability to use the filters for both high and low freqs. . . .

i played the ce2 a bunch. i prefer the ce5 that i own. . . even if it's only on the backup board. . . .

favorite song i play using that sound. . . 'who knows' . . . band of gypsies. heavy dirt in front of it. . . .

as far as 'traditional' chorus sounds go. . . . i never dug that sound. still don't, really. . . 'cept for some jazzy stuff.

i HOPE that some of this helps.

9. fuzz_factor

fuzz_factor Supporting Member

Very interesting. Thanks for the link.

I'm pretty certain that my CE-5 is the newer digital version. Not bad for what it is. In fact, I got it, a GE-7 and a TU-2, all in brand new condition with boxes for a whopping $125 total. The guy even threw in some patch cables. The tuner's not great, but it's more convenient than my old TU-12. The GE-7 is a bit noisy, but it's fun and has been educational.

Thanks to all who responded. A lot of great info here, as usual!