Boss CE-2W vs original

jcourtjr

Getting ready for a big chorus shootout. I have an original CE-1 and the Waza is close. Not exactly but a real good job.

On the other hand, I have an original CE-2 from 85 maybe and there is more of a pronounced effect on the original than the waza in CE-2 mode. I like it a lot but not really the same. Anyone else have a similar experience?

jcourtjr

Current line up for shoot out

Starting at the top row

*not in picture, coming soon Retro-Sonic Chorus
CE-2 original MIJ '85
CE-2W
CE-1
Analog Man Mini Chorus
Keeley Modded CE-2
DOD FX-65
Red Witch Empress
Tortuga Martini
BYOC Chorus (old Small Clone version kit)
Voodoo Lab Analog Chorus
MXR M234 Analog Chorus

If I get more I will add...I can't believe I have 11 chorus pedals

teleluvver

Wow, I am really interested in this shootout. I've been wanting to try a Tortuga Martini for a long time. OP, when are you planning to do the shootout? Are you going to video it, or just post your findings? Thanks again.

joolzriff

I think the waza chorus can stand on its own in the chorus arena-- I preffered it to my TC chorus/flange pedal That it replaced....

paulitk

Starting at the top row

CE-2 original MIJ '85
CE-2W
CE-1
Analog Man Mini Chorus
Keeley Modded CE-2
DOD FX-65
Red Witch Empress
Tortuga Martini
Voodoo Lab Analog Chorus
MXR M234 Analog Chorus

I want a pedaltrain vs IKEA Hejne board shootout.

$9 + $20 for stain and velcro, vs $150. Hejne wins!

jcourtjr

Wow, I am really interested in this shootout. I've been wanting to try a Tortuga Martini for a long time. OP, when are you planning to do the shootout? Are you going to video it, or just post your findings? Thanks again.

It will be a video, audio will be sm57 into Sonar. I am waiting on the Retro-Sonic which should be here shortly after Christmas.

GA20T

Had both at the same time, still have my '79 and sold the Waza. The '79 has more mids/boost and more dimensional/warm sounding than the Waza which is brighter/more treble. The Waza is obviously more versatile, but couldn't quite capture the magic of the original.

This has been my impression so far. Stereo is a great feature, but the CE-1 mode would have to be very special & exacting for me to consider shelling out CAD $265 when an original CE-2 can be had for $80 (MIT I'm using which has been my favourite chorus to date).

jcourtjr

This has been my impression so far. Stereo is a great feature, but the CE-1 mode would have to be very special & exacting for me to consider shelling out CAD $265 when an original CE-2 can be had for $80 (MIT I'm using which has been my favourite chorus to date).

Well I have to say I use the stock 85 CE-2 and the Waza CE-2 in slightly different ways. The Waza is going to be my goto chorus sound. It is deceptive in my rig where it is transparent until you turn it off and realize something is missing. That being said, it is very lush at the same time. It is set for low speed and about 2/3 rds up on the depth. The Original CE-2 with speed and depth about noon gives me a classic 80's chorus sound. With similar settings the original has more swirliness going on. The CE-1 mode is something special but also very intense. They did an excellent job emulating that.

Windup 43

Silver Supporting Member
I might have kept it around for the CE-1 feature, but I have a Roland JC for when I want that.

GA20T

Well I have to say I use the stock 85 CE-2 and the Waza CE-2 in slightly different ways. The Waza is going to be my goto chorus sound. It is deceptive in my rig where it is transparent until you turn it off and realize something is missing. That being said, it is very lush at the same time. It is set for low speed and about 2/3 rds up on the depth. The Original CE-2 with speed and depth about noon gives me a classic 80's chorus sound. With similar settings the original has more swirliness going on. The CE-1 mode is something special but also very intense. They did an excellent job emulating that.

Indeed, my CE-2 is perfect for how I use it and with the equipment I use, and that doesn't necessarily detract from the CE-2W in any way.

I am looking forward to the demo, and also trying one out again in person, only perhaps much more in-depth next time around. I'd be mighty happy with a proper CE-1 in a small enclosure. My perspective could change once I've had some more time with one.

sneaker-bud

Starting at the top row

CE-2 original MIJ '85
CE-2W
CE-1
Analog Man Mini Chorus
Keeley Modded CE-2
DOD FX-65
Red Witch Empress
Tortuga Martini
Voodoo Lab Analog Chorus
MXR M234 Analog Chorus

as a chorus junkie... this is... epic

gatordoc

I almost sent the CE-2w packing the first time I plugged it in because I couldn't believe how much brighter the CE-2 mode was compared with my old CE-2. It was plugged directly into Rhythm 1 of my MK IV with a Strat and the first thing I did was check to see if my bright switch had been accidently turned on. I think a lot of that initial impression was the result of Boss cutting the mids but I also think the new one is more hi-fi and pristine sounding by design. It sounded a little less bright when in the chain on various boards and it also seemed to mellow a bit after using it for about a week so I decided to keep it as I liked the CE-1 and vibrato modes. Although compared with my CE-2, DC-2, Analogman, Electric Blue, and Voodoo Lab chorus pedals, the CE-2 mode is still the brightest of the group.

I'm looking forward to your comparison because after listening to all of mine again over the last few weeks, my favorite is still the Analogman Chorus with the 3-way switch for lush chorus sounds and the DC-2 for a more transparent, subtle, shimmery chorus. I always wanted to try a Tortuga Martini but never had the opportunity.

petty1818

I actually love that the CE-2W has a brighter/clearer tone. I wasn't really expecting that but it really works. I am a huge fan of the TC SCF so I might be biased in that I like pristine chorus tones but when I hear comparisons, I tend to always prefer the CE-2W over the original.

3screw

Starting at the top row

CE-2 original MIJ '85
CE-2W
CE-1
Analog Man Mini Chorus
Keeley Modded CE-2
DOD FX-65
Red Witch Empress
Tortuga Martini
Voodoo Lab Analog Chorus
MXR M234 Analog Chorus

I prefer my DOD FX65 over my original CE-2. In addition to a pleasing chorus sound, it does a decent Leslie impersonation.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom