Boss CE-2W Vs Retro-Sonic CE-1?

8len8

Silver Supporting Member
I've got the Retro-Sonic already. Anyone stacked it up against the Boss Waza chorus?

Kyle Ashley

Silver Supporting Member
I have an older Retro Sonic. The Boss Waza replaced it for me. I think the boss is a bit less colored and a bit more versatile. They're both excellent. It's just personal preference. I just found the RS to be a bit thicker in the low mids when engaged than I preferred.

muffinman

Gold Supporting Member
short (!) answer:

I just got the latest version 5-knob Retro-Sonic Chorus LE back from Tim Larwill because it had an input gain overload issue causing it to break up all the time, and it now sounds like everything I was hoping it would, even better than the 1st 9VDC one I owned (the tone was fairly dark IIRC).

Up until I got this Retro-Sonic Chorus LE back last week, the BOSS CE-2w was 'it', even with its volume bump. The CE-2w is just SOOOO righteous. Of course, given my junky nature I already had a number of ideas for mods: rehousing so I can make it footswitchable between CE-1 slow and fast modes, separate speed & depth controls for those 2 modes, output volume control, mix control...

But now with the Retro-Sonic Chorus LE, no need for those mods-- this thing has 'the tones', and they are footswitchable w/ separate controls for chorus & vibrato, AND output level. My experience is a bit different than Kyle's, probably because my RS Chorus LE is the latest version, or Tim's fix altered it? -- the latest RS Chorus LE doesn't overtake my dry tone but blends with it better than the CE-2w, especially noticeable on vibrato settings, plus no volume bump unless I want it (I don't). I'm set now, truly set. However, I'm keeping the CE-2w as a backup.

Flatscan

Silver Supporting Member
I sold my Retro Sonic long before I got my CE-2W. I found the Retro very disappointing vs. demos.

I continue to have my CE-2W and am very happy with it. I bought it because of the CE-1 mode. The vibrato is quite good too (as was the Retro's).

sanfi4u

Gold Supporting Member
My choice is Retro-Sonic CE-1. I've got me v.2 recently. It's a very naturally sounding chorus and vibrato. I'm not much interested in CE-2W.

Jiminvan

Silver Supporting Member
I love that in the ce2w demo video Boss has him playing into a JC120. Irony or deception?!

Rick Towne

Praise & Western
Gold Supporting Member
I use the R-S mainly for the vibrato as faux-Leslie. How does the Boss compare?

muffinman

Gold Supporting Member
I use the R-S mainly for the vibrato as faux-Leslie. How does the Boss compare?
The CE-2w does that faux-Leslie thing marvelously-- really, really, really good-- better than most chorus pedals I've tried, and I've tried a LOT of them. My recently-returned R-S LE just does it a little bit better IMHO.

Rick Towne

Praise & Western
Gold Supporting Member
The CE-2w does that faux-Leslie thing marvelously-- really, really, really good-- better than most chorus pedals I've tried, and I've tried a LOT of them. My recently-returned R-S LE just does it a little bit better IMHO.

Thanks. The R-S has lasted nine years with me, while other Leslie modellers have come and gone.

misa

Silver Supporting Member
Both are very good, and I have each on different boards...I think the CE-2W has a bit more brightness on CE-1 mode than the RS (which helps give the chorused sound more separation) whereas the newer RS 5-knob is a bit warmer, has a nice depth, and the sound stays together more. These are subtle distinctions between the two, I'm sure anyone could be happy with either depending on their preference in sound, size, and features.

Last edited:

shock me

Silver Supporting Member
Both are very good, and I have each on different boards...I think the CE-2W has a bit more brightness on CE-1 mode than the RS (which helps give the chorused sound more separation) whereas the newer RS 5-knob is a bit warmer, has a nice depth, and the sound stays together more. These are subtle distinctions between the two, I'm sure anyone could be happy with either depending on their preference in sound, size, and features.
I have had the newest RS Chorus for the past year. Today my Boss Ce-2w arrived and have to totally agree with you. Your statement is spot on.

They are both excellent pedals and if the Boss is a bit brighter, turn down your tone control on your guitar!

jpickett

I've owned the blue-script Retro Sonic chorus. I have the CE-2w now and I have no qualms with it, nor would I want a RS chorus again.

King Rat

I have a CE-2 and RS and Fulltone Choralflange.. all different form/features and can't complain about any...

I like the RS and Fulltone for the volume option.

Like the CE-2 for size
but they all have advantages.

Rick Towne

Praise & Western
Gold Supporting Member
The R-S vibrato side does the Leslie effect for me; the original CE-2's I've had, both Keeley mod and stock, couldn't do that.

Trending Topics