Boss CE-3

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Moe45673, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

How is this chorus pedal? Any good?

I'm not too picky for chorus effects, and I can get one of these for a decent price. Should I snatch it or let it pass?

2. sandman

sandman Member

borrowed one from a friend a year ago or so.I'm not a fan of chorus and as far as I remember people are right when they say it's 80's sounding.Not sure if my memory serves me well...

3. what?

what? Member

yes have had 2 of the CE-3 and they are very 80's sounding. The CE-2 on the other hand is very 70's, you might want to look for the non-silver screw CE-2 which has less mid than the silver screw CE-2, more conventional. Maybe the MIT CE-2?

4. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

thanks for the responses! I'll let it pass :)

5. enickma

enickma Member

The CE-3 is junk. Either get a MIT CE-2 and have it modded by Keeley for a huge, thick chorus, or opt for a CE-5. Surprising good sounds in that CE-5

6. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Is the CE-5 really that decent? Anyone else want to pipe up about it?

7. what?

what? Member

tried my friend's CE-5, quite good, sounds quite modern, good for today's music

8. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    I have four CE-2 choruses, one has the Keeley HiFi mod, which does do wonders with this box. But all of them do have the thick chorus to them, even when you turn down the depth and speed it is still a little to thick if you are running an overdrive. For the over the top eighties sound it is one of the best. The CE-3 is basically a CE-2 with a second output. I have one also and it's pretty close to CE-2.

TheGrooveking

9. Mac-P

Mac-P Member

The CE-3 is a TOTALLY different sounding chorus than the CE-2.

I know the Boss Book claims the CE-3 is the same as a CE-2 only stereo, but if you pop em open you'll see they are different.

The CE-3 sounds metallic. Period. It is cold and digital sounding (a remarkable feat if you ask me considering it is analog).

The CE-2 on the other hand is the reference point that many modern day chorus pedals are voiced around. It is "the" vintage chorus. Lush, rich, warm and watery. On a million 80's records from the Police to the Cars to Robert Plant....

The CE-2 and the Sholz Rockman are probably the two most recorded choruses from that era.

The CE-3 never gets there. Always has a metallic sheen and is FAR from warm.

I got my CE-3 new way back when and was always puzzled as to why I never could get that great classic chorus sound. When I got a CE-2 years later I finally heard the difference.

And the Japan and Taiwan CE-2's are the same pedal despite rumors to the contrary. You can pick up on eBay for VERY reasonable prices. The Japan pedals cost more, but unless you really care about those things, you don't need to spend the extra cash.

;)