Boss CE1 chorus, best alternative between...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Cygnus, Jun 2, 2015.

Boss CE1 chorus, best alternative between the...

1. Maxon CS-550

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. Jacques Meistersinger

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. Cygnus

Cygnus Member

Hello!

Very curious about this... I know Retro Sonic is may be the best option but it's quite hard to find and more expensive than the Maxon or the Jacques and it seems that those two models are also based on the CE1 chorus... I need this kind of chorus to cover Alex Lifeson/Steve Hackett sounds ;)

2. Garik Alengos

Garik Alengos Member

Avschad2112 likes this.
  3. Cygnus

Cygnus Member

Well, I didn't read as much good things about it compared to the Jacques and the Maxon...

4. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

I know that the CE-1 has two modes, the chorus and the "vibrato"modes. Since the vibrato mode actually mixes the dry signal in, it actually works as another chorus, with the wave being a sine wave. The chorus mode has only an intensity knob, which acts as a rate knob, and the wave is a triangle wave.

The sound of both the CE-1 and the Boss CE-2 are dark, with the high end being rolled off, and maybe a little boost in the mids.

The Voodoo Labs only has part of the CE-1, and is only mono.

The Retrosonic has both modes, and is stereo.

I don't own a CE-1 at the moment, so I can only compare what it currently own. My original-version Jacques can nail the sound of my Boss CE-2. Bothe the Jaques and the CE-2 are mono.

With that said, the other pedal I own which also nails the CE-2 sound is the MXR Analog Chorus, the blue one with 5 knobs, with the MXR having stereo outs. The MXR Black Label is the exact same pedal with a different paint job.

My suspicion is that the MXR Bass Chorus is capable of the same sound, with the addition of a flanger mode. (There's also a X-over mode, making the pedal better suited for bass by only applying the effect to the high end while leaving the low end alone.) The Bass Chorus has a stereo output jack, so you can use a Y cable to output to two amps.

Looking at the minimum prices I just found, and capabilities of each unit...

Retro Sonic $250
    Jacques $140
    Voodoo $87
    MXR Analog $75
    MXR Bass Chorus $150

...I'd recommend getting the MXR Analog Chorus, and searching with Google for the TGP topics where settings are provided for nailing the CE-2 tones. Then if you want to see how much better the CE-1 sounds, you can find one locally and do your own mini shoot-out, while having a good idea of what the MXR is capable of.

Oh! Here's one such topic with the MXR settings. good luck!

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/in...horus-mxr-analog-chorus-vs-boss-ce-2.1078677/

5. Cygnus

Cygnus Member

Thanks a lot ERGExplorer! Actually, I'm really looking for the CE1 sound, not CE2 which is a bit different. I owned a MIJ CE2 and currently own a Joyo Analog Chorus (which sounds a bit the same) but I want to get that very early chorus sound...

6. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Supporting Member

I kid you not. The Zoom MS50G has a CE-1 model that nails Big Al's tone from 'Farewell to Kings' through 'Exit Stage Left'. It was scary close. I've been thinking about snagging another one, cheap just to have that chorus sound again. The only drawback with that is I'm not sure how practical that would be to have the Zoom in my chain just for one effect since I would want to run it through a true bypass switch.

I thought the Jacques was more of a CE-2 clone (actually, I thought I had read that he modeled it off the chorus effect he had on some type of old Roland keyboard)

The MXR would get you close too. For the CE-1 sound I am currently using my old analog CE-5 which has the same type of thickness and EQs your sound in the same type of way, but the character of the chorus is not 100% exact, but very similar. The MXR chorus I have tried sounds very close to the analog CE-5, so you would be close, regardless.

Let us know what you find!

7. Sentenced

Sentenced Member

All I have to say is that the Maxon 550 is an amazingly overlooked TGP pedal. One thing you should be aware of, however, is that it doesn't like very hot pickups.

Also, I don't know how that Meistersinger sounds, but it definitely looks like $hit.

8. jdel77

jdel77 Silver Supporting Member

The Maxon 550 me was very sharp and cold sounding, nothing like a CE-1 to me.
    I even like the sound of a vintage Electric Mistress set slow more than a CE-1, but that's just replacing one expensive vintage pedal with another...

9. Sparkfriction

Sparkfriction Member

CS-550 is my favorite chorus and i think its different as the CE-1. but it gives you a lot because of the d-time control. Oh and it will not work in an effects loop and tend to distorted with to much input.

dont know which will give you the sound, i had good experience with a boss ce-300 super chorus rack unit. but it was not that flexible and more for the subtile use. Also complete different as the CE-1, but closer as the Maxon or any others. CE-300 was already in the more modern ballpark soundwise. modern in comparsion to a ce-1.

Meistersinger is a good idea. But i cant tell you if it will do the job.

i have to listen to the song/sound you are after.

intressting is the latest Tech21 Boost Chorus. i think it can mimic a lot of chorus sounds.

Edit: if you think the Retro Sonic will do the job, then give the Red Witch Empress Chorus a try. i didnt liked it but thats a different story.

10. Cygnus

Cygnus Member

11. Sparkfriction

Sparkfriction Member

based means the circuit and maybe the flavour. But not that they copy the sound/tuning of other ce-1 - i guess. i dont know. GIve it a try, i am sure it is a easy flip if you dont like it.

12. Cygnus

Cygnus Member

Bump! 50/50 so far :)

13. JimHalinda

JimHalinda Member

I'll echo what OotMagroot says above - if you don't mind a digital solution, the Pod X3, M5 and Zoom MS-50G all do a great rendition of the CE-1. I compared my Pod X3 side by side with a Retrosonic Chorus, and got the Pod dialed in to where I couldn't tell the difference. Of course I'm only talking about the chorus side of the CE-1.

So as a Rush fan, I'm happy that I have that sound covered. I even have a lowly Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus (v2) that gets me close enough....

Regards,

Jim

Dannyz likes this.
  14. OotMagroot

I should have clarified as well. I was only talking about the chorus side. But, I think the Zoom's CE-1 model had a virtual switch that switches between the two modes if I remember correctly. But, I am really only interested in the chorus side of that unit, LOL!

15. Cygnus

Cygnus Member

Same here I don't really know about the vibrato thing, I'm talking about the chorus of course ;)

16. OotMagroot

17. Sentenced

Sentenced Member

18. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Member

I have the Retrosonic and the Jacques. I use the Jacques all the time, its great and reminds me of Rush sounds. France should sell Jacques FX pretty inexpensively, non?

19. nlopez

nlopez Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Frankly, neither in my opinion. Both are very nice choruess and get "close enough, but only the Retrosonic will get you the ce1 sound, I know because i finally broke down and bought a new version from Tim.

20. Cygnus

Cygnus Member

Very interesting... Jacques sells the Chorus around 140 euros, not so expensive you're right. I'm more interested in the Jacques so far so I'll probably get one and see by myself :)

Did you try both? Hope you like the Retrosonic if you bought it ;)