boss ce2 - worth modding?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by pnksntdead, Feb 24, 2012.

1. pnksntdead

pnksntdead Supporting Member

i'm thinking of having my spare ce2 modded for increased speed and maybe depth. has anyone done this before? for those who had favorable results, which mod/modding service did you use? thanks!!

2. iama

iama Member

Don't. Just buy a different chorus. Don't mod a desirable pedal like that.

3. theroan

theroan Member

Ya, I think it sounds pretty bad ass on its own.

4. DB Cooper

DB Cooper Member

I buy lots of Boss pedals, but absolutely avoid modded pedals - especially vintage pedals like the CE-2.

5. spakuloid

spakuloid Member

I agree - no need to mod a classic these days. Plenty of affordable alternatives out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

6. Harvesterofsorrow

Harvesterofsorrow Member

the ce-2 is great stock but there is a speedy mod avaiable i think keeley does it...

Javiceres likes this.
  7. teleclem

teleclem Member

Modding a current Boss pedal is fine.. But a classic (and limited) one shouldn't be messed with, imo.

Of course, it's yours and you can do whatever you want with it. Keeley offers a mod service for these. Or you can have Cornish make you a chorus out of one. :)

8. matt5150

matt5150 Either U Know Or U Don't Supporting Member

Sure. Why not? It's a pedal.

Have both the mods on my CE-2.

Sounds more alive and fuller. Robert Kelley does amazing work.

Matt

Javiceres likes this.
  9. pnksntdead

pnksntdead Supporting Member

i hear ya'll. i definitely wouldn't want to mod a minty ce2 but this one is a cosmetically beat, MIT (but with japan guts - mn3007 chip). it sounds great but i could definitely use a bit more speed to it. i'll probably go with keeley based on previous experience too. i'd have to sell the rest of my board just to fund a cornish mod! thanks for all the input!

Javiceres likes this.
  10. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

when do the keeley speedy mod do you lose some of the slower rate or is the rate just extended to go faster?

11. Madsen

Madsen Member

i got Monte Allums mods done on Boss MT-2 & a CS-3. The pedals sounded like ass stock & were significantly improved by the mods. No more hiss or hum & there was a general overall improvement in clarity, harmonics & tone.
    http://www.monteallums.com/pedal_mods.html

i know Boss makes some decent pedals & some crap. If it's unuseable then by all means give the mod a shot, but it sounds like some here hold that model in high regard, if it's just not for you then it might be better to sell it off & get something else.

12. throbert

throbert Member

I had that Keeley mod and it was helpful but not that dramatic of an improvement. The Boss CE-2 was already pretty good as is especially when they were released. I don't use chorus much anymore but that was one of the better ones.

13. MjCartney

MjCartney Neo-Maxi Zoom Dweebie Silver Supporting Member

The only mod I'd do is jumper the resistor and diode on the power so it'll work with contemporary power supplies. And maybe add a blue LED, looks nice on that pedal.

I played several mods, and IMHO the original sounds best. Maybe i just like it 'cause I grew up on that sound, but I'd leave that one alone. A CE-3 however, I'd say go ahead. I swap out a cap on mine to give them greater depth & make them sound more CE-2 like. But that's just me. I'm a different breed of cat.

14. jay42

jay42 Member

hmm...tough crowd. I've modified mine for wider Rate range. I replaced some caps, did the power supply mod so you can use a normal 9V supply, Burr-Brown op amp had already been subbed. Lastly, I added Jack Deville's true bypass circuit. That was a bit of an adventure since no one had done it before, but worth the effort.

Javiceres likes this.
  15. fuzz_factor

fuzz_factor Supporting Member

If you want increased speed and depth in an analog chorus pedal, just buy a used DOD FX65 Stereo Chorus for around $30. It'll be cheaper than modding your CE-2 and give you a different sound. Whereas the CE-2's don't get very fast and have a 'chewy' midrange, the FX65's are a bit cleaner and flatter in the EQ and have speeds fast enough for a good fake Leslie sound. If these pedals came in a Phase 90 sized box with a label from VoodooAnalogMojoVintageToneMan, they'd sell for $200.

16. The Melodyman

The Melodyman Member

I am awaiting the return of my Keeley Modded Boss CE-2. Its from the 80's and began to die.. ex. when you first hit the button it worked well, but after a minute or so the chorus effect began to fade away.. I attributed this to old worn out components so a refresh was in order..Also, the LED was so dim I couldnt tell if it was on or off while onstage.. They replace it with a bright blue one as part of the refurb. Should have it back early next week. I'll report back..