Boss CE3 Japan

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jocfan1, Feb 29, 2012.

1. jocfan1

jocfan1 Member

I have an opportunity to pick up a cosmetically-beat but functional Japanese BOSS CE-3 for what seems like a great price. Seller claims it's a 1984. I'm working on verifying that, but assuming it's the real deal, is it worth jumping on it?

I'm not a big-time chorus guy, but I know the old CE-2 is supposed to be pretty sweet, and this one is apparently the same circuit, just in the more familiar BOSS enclosure and with the added bonus of a stereo output that can also do wet/dry outputs. I'm seeing prices in the $80-$100 range for Japanese CE-3's, and I'd be getting it for half that, so I figured I could try it out on my rig and if I really didn't dig it I could still flip it for some profit. Any thoughts or info from those of you with more knowledge would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. GregoryL

GregoryL Supporting Member

I bought one of these new and sold it about a year ago. Honestly, I never liked it and it sat in a closet most of the time I owned.

I have played a CE2 and IMO they sound very different. The CE3 was always really sterile to me.

Everyone's taste is different, so it might still be good to give it a try if the price is right.

3. speedemon

speedemon Member

If you are new to Chorus pedals, or just not that picky, go with the CE-3 if its cheap, like $50. If you are looking for a great chorus, save up the few extra bux and get a CE-2, they are coming in under $100 now (of course that is Los Angeles, Wyoming could be more! lol), or else up your budget to $150 and pick the best chorus you can find. I always hated chorus pedals, and boss pedals, but now that I have learned a few things, and want some more classic tones, I love my CE-2.

good luck!

4. jocfan1

jocfan1 Member

I could afford something nicer, and I'm certainly not looking for a chorus in particular, but I was just wondering if this was a good deal on a great pedal. I've seen some stuff on diystompboxes.com that indicates it's possible to mod the CE-3 to be much closer to a CE-2 simply by changing a couple of resistor values. That might be what I end up doing.

5. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

It's also possible to buy a Rogue copy of the CE2 for less than $30, with true bypass. I'll keep my CE2 but I wouldn't bother with the CE3, it's not desirable or rare...

6. ChorusCrackpot

ChorusCrackpot Member

I bought a CE-3 on impulse. I do regret it now, but hold onto the CE-3 for "anti-sentimental" reasons.

It's not a bad chorus. It just sounds a bit plain, and a bit too bright and tinkly. I have read of the modifications that others here have mentioned, so maybe if I feel like it in the future I'll mod my CE-3. But I am not in a rush to do so.

7. Laurie

Laurie Member

If you can get the CE-3 for $40 or less, it's a good deal. There has been a lot a discussion about this pedal by Boss collectors - specifically how different is it really to the CE-2?

While you can hear the difference, the consensus (amongst we Boss folks anyway) is that it is an OK pedal, with a bit of a bad rep.

Certainly one of the main drawbacks is that you can't see the "ON" light because the middle knob is in the way (something Boss changed in their next 3-knob pedal).

As a Boss collector I'd grab it if the price was right. As a musician I'd grab it if it was cheap and use it a little and maybe keep it on the board, maybe not.

8. markw1980

markw1980 Supporting Member

I got into a CE-3 for pretty cheap, and I enjoy it. It reminds me of the chorus-y guitar parts on some of the Replacements later stuff. Not a great pedal, but fun

9. Championguitar

Championguitar Member

its alright it is a very 80s style chorus and sounds a bit metallic-y idk what you said for cheap but mint condition ones go on ebay for under 50 all the time

10. ahcleinad

ahcleinad Member

Supposedly the same circuit as the CE-2 but I think it sounds different. Its a very subtle chorus even with the depth maxed out. Luckily there are always mods to increase depth and get it closer to CE-2 specs.

Another thing mentioned was the LED indicator won't light up and that's because it was origianlly designed for a 12va adapter not 9v. Works with a 9v but you just can't see the liht. If you open it up and remove 2 resistors it will be bright enough with 9v.

11. Laurie

Laurie Member

The "remove two resistors" thing is called a "PSA mod" in Boss circles (yeah, I'm a Boss nerd).

If you buy it want to do that mod I can post a pic of the two points to bridge (a single wire bridge will do the trick).

12. Staticbuster

Staticbuster Member

I have one of these. As others have mentioned, it's fairly metallic...pretty much that 80's chorus sound. If that appeals, its a great pedal. Honestly I prefer a warmer chorus tone, so I don't use it much. If the price is right, go ahead and jump on.