Boss Chorus - CE-2 vs CH-1

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Wmacky, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Wmacky

Wmacky Member

OK, I just don't get it. I read that the CE-2 is a favorite chrorus, some rating it the best, while the lowly digital CH-1 seems to be the most hated Boss pedal ever. I received my used CE-2 a while back, and thought I've plug them both up, and test. Well they sound the same to me. I mean there may be some slight difference, but really? From best to hated? WTH?. To be honest they both are so subtle that it's kinda hard to even tell. I even had to turn them off at times and compare with the dry signal to make sure they were on!.

I just don't get it. Some guys must be extremely picky?

2. Belmont

Belmont Member

what you read on forums about gear is about 80% repetitive mythical BS.
    I own the CE-1, CE-2, CE-3, CE-300, CH-1 (analog), the all sound very similar.
    I use the CH-1 on my board because it has a level knob which I miss on the CE-2, I like very subtle chorus usually.
    the most extreme of them all is the rack CE-300.

3. CE-2 Man

CE-2 Man Senior Member

I use a CH-1 nowadays for the same reason, i like a blend knob.

Neither effect is subtle at all, it's very noticeable chorus - are you sure yours work!

CE-2 is great...but certainly not without its equal and I would recommend a Super Chorus to anyone wanting a roadproof, straight down the line chorus with mix control.

4. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Supporting Member

I like the CH-1. I have an analog CE-5 and with the way I set up my chorus sound there is not a whole 'lotta difference between the two.

I'm currently using a Mooer Ensemble King (CE-2 clone) and it sounds similar to the CH-1 too.

Belmont: I envy you fer sure, I have always wanted to get my hands on a CE-300.

5. dadrock

dadrock Member

Had a CH1, hated it/ Got a Ce-2 and I've been in love ever since.

6. OilsFan

OilsFan Supporting Member

I currently have both the CE-2 and CH-1 analog. I like them both but use the CH-1 because of the extra controls. The CE-2 is sometimes too hollow sounding to my ears. And yes, there is so much BS in this whole business that you can trust no one. If you want to know, investigate for yourself.

CubanB likes this.
  7. Wmacky

Wmacky Member

And there you go.

I still don't get it. You must have some damn fine ears. Not only do you here a big difference, but one sucks, and one is great? :dunno How is that possible?

I also compared against my small clone. Now that's a difference.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  8. zos

zos Member

I have both a Japanese CE2 & an Analogue CH1 , they are both excellent pedals but I prefer the ..............CH1 , it's more versatile , can be set more subtle , and sounds better with gain .

But each to their own , whatever works for YOU !

9. 7thString

7thString Member

He never said one sucks.. just that he didn't like it.
    I bought a CE-2 a year ago because TGP said it was good. I love it, so I have never bothered to try any others. I'm sorry if that offends you.

10. JJ Fux

JJ Fux Member

I own a Taiwanese made CE-2. It is very subtle on some settings compared to CH-1 (idk, which one) which is much more pronounced imo.

11. bobcunningham

bobcunningham Member

I love nice warm chorus as well. I've tried both the CE-2 and the CH-1. CE-1 is definitely warm and subtle. The CH-1 is less so.

12. Wmacky

Wmacky Member

Offends me? Are you trying to be some kind of smart ass? I think the CE-2 sounds just fine. One pedal is considered great, and the other gets panned all the time. I just was confused as I couldn't hear a difference? I found that strange, and I'm sorry if that offends YOU. I was expecting a bigger difference, or any difference I guess.

Anyway, I tend to prefer as much of an analog signal path as possible so I'm staying with the CE-2 for now. Is the difference between the CE-2, and the CE-1 just as subtle?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  13. Stephans

Stephans Member

Same here!
    I love my CE-2 (and DM-2)

14. eddie knuckles

eddie knuckles Member

I vacillate between my Boss CE-2 and my reissue Ibanez FL-9 - turn down the regen knob and you have a beautiful analog chorus. I've used both extensively, but the Ibanez is on my board right now.

15. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

I own a lot of chorus pedals which sound like the CE-2 (Jacques Meistersinger, MXR Analog Chorus, Mooer Ensemble King). I also own chorus pedals which don't sound like the CE-2.

I seem to remember my CE-2 being voiced darker than the CH-1, and doing all that comparison work on electric piano. Now I'm curious if I was just imagining it.

If the OP is correct, it's odd that I managed to dial in the CE-2 sound using the MXR Analog Chorus, a pedal from a different manufacturer, and that I would have rejected the CH-1, if the CE-2 and the CH-1 really sound the same.

I'm going to have to have my friends see if they can tell the difference.

16. King Rat

King Rat Member

CE-5
    CE-2
    Retro-Sonice CE-1
    CE-2
    Dr Scientist Zombie Cosmis-Chorus
    EQD Sea Machine

I still use the CE-2 because I just dig its sound... All the other chorus's i've had.. I realised I was just dialling them in to try to get them to sound like the CE-2 and just realised that's all i'll need.

17. Jxff

Jxff Member

I have been on the chorus hunt recently too. I dumped a Japanese CE-3 recently. I also picked up a CE-20, really like it except for the size. My older EHX Small Clone was starting to flake out so I bougt a new one, didn't sound the same. When did the CH-1 go digital? Has the OP tried a CE-20?

"... before october 2001, the CH-1 had analog delay circuitry. According to Bossarea.com, pedals with serial numbers from P1 onwards are digital, while the older ones are analog. This also translates to label colours, so blue and pink label = analog, while dark grey label = digital."

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  18. 7thString

7thString Member

I'm sorry; it seemed as though you were trying to be a smart arse:

19. Fitzer

Fitzer Member

I had a CH-1 and liked the functionality and the fact that it's a Boss, but it was kind of sterile/glassy sounding and not very dark and "swirly" I guess. I replaced it with an MXR Micro Chorus, and I preferred and very much enjoyed the MXR to the Boss.

20. jcs

jcs Member

What amps do you run?

I mean cmon, all amps don't sound the same and all effect pedals don't sound exactly thru different amps either imo.

I find the CH-1 to be not as warm overall as the CE-2 but I tend to have very warm sounding tube amps from yesteryear....both are very usable chorus fwiw...imo.

I also like the old Danelectro "Cool Cat" chorus & the DOD FX65.