Boss CS-2 questions

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Dr. Jimmy, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Dr. Jimmy

Dr. Jimmy Member

Hey, does anyone else use one of these compressors? I'd like to use it to get a bit o' sustain out of my setup (nothing fancy, Strat > Comp > Phase 90 > Wah > Bad Monkey > EQ > Marshall 1987X). Right now it's set: Level 2:00 Attack 12:00 Sustain 10:00 and it sounds ok, but I do notice that when it's on my sound isn't as crisp as it is when it's off. I've matched the level so the volume is the same whether the pedal is on or off. It just seems like I lose a bit of juicy harmonic stuff when the pedal is engaged. What exactly does the Attack control do for me?

Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. Dr. Jimmy

Dr. Jimmy Member

3. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Supporting Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    i think that's just the nature of some compressors. try turning the attack all the way up.... otherwise, you might have to compensate with your amp's EQ. i also feel that the sound isn't as "crisp" when using compressors. i've used a lot of comps including the tone press, but felt that even with the blend knob set to let the natural attack through, the signal didn't sound the same.

i've been using a maxon cp101 for a few years now and to my ears and in my rig, it's the most transparent comp i've ever used. IMO, it's even more transparent than the tone press which would be a close second for me....

4. Dr. Jimmy

Dr. Jimmy Member

Thanks for the advice! I will try turning the attack up and see if that helps at all. I often wonder if I need to use a comp. since I have a pretty overdriven tone as it is, and the tubes compress naturally yadda yadda. Just looking to squeeze a bit of sustain out of it...

5. jayn

jayn Member

If you are already overdriving the amp, I doubt you'll need it. Do try putting the attack knob up a bit (not all the way...too shrill with single coils). Also try setting it for just a touch of boost.