Boss CS-3 Users?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by crambone, May 25, 2015.

1. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

I have an SP Compressor on my main board and just snagged a CS-3 for a good price. I want to throw it on my small board that I use in my cover band.

Anyone know the settings to dial-in on the CS-3 that would give me a similar effect as my SP? I run the SP with both knobs at noon and the toggle at mid.

2. crambone

Anyone? Bueller?

3. Braunzo

Braunzo Supporting Member

The CS-3 isn't real highly regarded around here. I've only used one once so I don't know what to tell you. But there are pros like Nels Cline who use them and love them.

4. crambone

Thanks. I know it's not top-of-the-line or anything, but I just need something to give me a little bit of squish or sustain, depending on the song.

5. DakotaRed

DakotaRed Member

The quality of the pedal is fine. Lots of Boss love around here. But the CS-3's forte is extreme squash, and I think most TGPers seem to prefer light or moderate compression.

This might help you:

"To get more moderate or gentle compression you have two options: set the Sustain knob to minimum (fully counterclockwise) or turn down the level of the signal you feed into the pedal. Feeding it a quieter input will give you a slightly wider useful range of the Sustain knob, but that often means you will also have to turn up the output volume, resulting in more noise. The most natural tone and action will be found by setting the Sustain near minimum, no higher than 9:00."

Source: http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/bosscs3.shtml

6. shinksma

shinksma Member

I use my CS-3 for a medium-heavy amount of squash - works for my SOYCD Gilmour tone. Sustain at 12 o'clock, Level 11 o'clock, Attack at 1 or 2 o'clock, and Tone to taste based on pickups and mood - usually around 1 o'clock.

But at times I have dropped sustain to the minimum, and used it as a very light compressor.

YMMV, as always with such things.

7. crambone

Thanks, guys. Those last 2 posts are exactly what I needed.