Boss DC-2 Dimension C Clone

Discussion in 'Builder's & Retailer's Forum' started by jfromel, Feb 24, 2008.

1. jfromel

jfromel Gold Supporting Member

Wanted to see how much interest there would be for a DC-2 clone. I have finished up the PCB layout and the only way I could get it to fit into a 1590BB box is with a 4 layer board. If there is enough interest I will run some proto's.

Functionality will be the same as the original, mono in, 4 selections, stereo out. I may also make a version with adjustable rate and depth controls. Major difference will be much higher quality parts and true bypass switching.

I am estimating the price to be about $300 retail.

2. fyrwyr

fyrwyr Member

I am still kicking myself for letting my mint condition NOS one go last year, the only problems were the high end was a little much for electric guitar, great for acoustic though. True bypass and adjustable rate and depth would be cool. A bigger box would be fine for me if it was better to build it that way. Glad to see someone willing to redo/improve on those gems;)

3. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

I would definitely be interested......however not at 300 bux....srry.

Anyway to bring the price into the 200 range? if so you got a sale!

4. Shon Kornfeld

Shon Kornfeld Member

yea, great idea, but $300 seems a bit steep... get it around 200 and im sure youll get quite a few orders

5. fyrwyr

fyrwyr Member

$300 seems fair to me for a hand wired, high quality and improved version, but certainly you could sell more if it was cheaper...

6. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

For $300 I'd just buy an original on eBay, for $100 less.

7. jfromel

I will do what I can to get the cost down. There are about 200 parts on the PCB so the labor will be pretty intensive. The other killer is the cost of the PCB, because it is a 4 layer board I cant even make my own prototype boards. I hate expensive pedals as much as anyone so I understand.

I will say that the pedal will look as good as it sounds, My plan is to put the first few in enclosures by Lucibox. http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=355449
    Thanks for all the feedback so far, I will keep everyone posted.

8. akivisuals

akivisuals Member

I love my DC-2 and got it for around $125 less than what you're asking for the clones. It's an amazing pedal and I have it in a loop of my MusicomLab, so there's no tone suckage. I agree that you'd probably sell a good amount of 'em at $200-225. Great pedals.

9. Rob Sharer

Rob Sharer Muso-Luthier

Heavy DC-2 user here. TB would be nice; especially nice would be stereo ins. I'd probably even pay $300 for a DC-2 with stereo ins. PM me if you get one together. Cheers,

Rob

10. devnulljp

devnulljp Member

DC-2 is my secret weapon, so don't you go spoiling it now.
    Stereo in would be awesome. I'd buy one for $200~$250 or thereabouts. An original can still be had for less than $150; add a bypass box for a bit more.
    Those luciboxes look great though, much better than the boss piglet pink of the original.

11. jfromel

I toyed with the idea of stereo input. On the plus side most of the circuit is already in place to have stereo input. On the negative side is space, the circuit would require about 30 more parts, which would require a box bigger than a 1590BB. I could make it work in a tall box similar to the one the Tim pedal is in, and although I love my Tim pedal, it is tall.

One other problem that I have not yet solved is true bypass with a stereo input, but that should not be so hard.

Right now I am working on getting the price down to under $250 and I will start working on more features later.

Working name for the pedal is currently "Lush" I suppose a version with stereo input and adjustable rate and depth could be the "Lush Deluxe"

12. jfromel

One feature that will also be included is the ability to combine modes. On the DC-2 only one mode could be selected at a time.

13. williamh

williamh Supporting Member

heck, I'd be interested in a true bypass straight up clone that allowed me to use more than one option at the same time. If you've heard this chorus in real life, do you honestly think you need to be able to tweak rate and depth? I think the presets sound great the way they are, and if you need something less subtle just push a button farther up. The only thing I'd ask for(other than true bypass), is to space the buttons out a little more so you can select them with your foot and not have to reach down and press.

14. magnus

magnus Member

It's still easy to get an original DC-2 in good condition so I don't quite see the point of a clone that will be more expensive than a used original.

I would be more interested in a rack mount version that could handle line level signal and also had controller jacks for bypass and selecting different modes. A piece like that could maybe compete with the upcoming Fulltone Tri Stereo Chorus reissue (if it ever sees the light of day :puh)

15. jfromel

WilliamH...I like the idea of selecting modes with your foot and have been trying to incorporate that into the final design.

Magnus...My clone will sound much better than than the original DC-2, even though the circuit is basically the same, except for the true bypass, the quality of the caps and resistors will make a big difference. I have landed some NOS NE570N, MN3207 BBD's and MN3102 clocks, I haven't decided on which op-amps (there are 5 dual op-amps in this thing) to use yet and at least the first batch will be socketed so I can swap out different configs. The original also used a single layer PCB which can allow noise into the signal, my design uses a 4 layer with dedicated layers for ground and power

Roland did make a Dimension D (SSD-320) Rack unit that would handle line level and balanced signal, also had stereo inputs, the circuit is pretty much the same and honestly it would be a much easier build as a rack unit. http://www.modezero.com/roland-dimension-D.htm , Ahh rack gear, brings back memories of the 80's.

16. devnulljp

devnulljp Member

Do you have a projected timeline for this? I love my DC-2, and would hate anything to happen to it. A replacement would be good, and if it's really better...

17. jfromel

I do have a day job but I hope to have the first few proto's done in the next month. I will keep everyone posted.

18. jfromel

Update on the bypass circuit. In mono the unit will have the choice of true bypass or buffered via a switch inside the box. The problem with true bypass in a stereo circuit is the need for a 4PDT switch, which do not hold up well to stomping and are pretty expensive. The other option would be to just split the mono signal when bypassed which would suck tone. In true by-pass mode the unit will only work in stereo when the effect is on, when by-passed the B output will have no signal. In buffer mode the signal will be split in stereo and mono and both outputs will work. On the plus side the buffer will be a high quality-non tone sucking high impedeance presenting buffer that will not suck tone.

19. Sofus

Sofus Member

I will mos def be interested even at $ 275 - 300. Put me on the list :)

20. jfromel

Update: The BBD and compander chips are in and the PCB's are on order. I am thinking that when I lay this out all the input/output and DC jacks will be on the top of the pedal. I will be messing with a few different high quality stereo buffers to see what works best over the next few weeks.