Boss DC-2 vs. DC-3

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Moe45673, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

as Analogman once wisely said: sure there are a multitude of choruses out there, but how many options do you really need? Thereby he produced his "1 trick pony" chorus pedal which few will argue as one of the top 5 chorus pedals out there.

I mention this because I am of the same philosophy. I could get a Boss CE-20, but all the different models seem like overkill. I just need one or 2 really good sounds.

So which one do you prefer, the DC-2 or DC-3?

2. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    It's no contest, get the DC-2, the DC-3 is digital and nowhere as warm sounding as the DC-2. I have both and the DC-2 is never to far away. It may only have four presets, but they are four great tones. The CE-20 does the DC-2, it's a spot on match to the DC-2, so I recommend either the DC-2 or the CE-20.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TheGrooveking

3. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Thanks Grooveking!

Question: How is it on batteries?

*edit* I find it funny how boss's analog delay model on the DD-20, based on the DM-2, is not worth getting over a real DM-2, yet with the digital technology of the CE-20, you CAN get the DC-2. Just goes to show that you never know!

Also, it takes a load off. At least I know that if I can't find a DC-2, I can still get a CE-20 and enjoy :) It'd also bring my twin pedal collection up to 5! Mayhap I should make a pedal board of just twin pedals.....

4. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

Can't report on batteries, even though I have run it on batteries I run the CE-20 on a power supply.

TheGrooveking

5. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

well, since it's analog, hopefully it's very forgiving of batteries. I only ask because it'd be a bigger pain to find an ACA adaptor and lug that around than use batteries, when almost all my other pedals are 9VDC

6. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

Are you using a Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2? If so your covered, for eating batteries it definitely better than a delay. One thing I have done with pedals that I like to run on battery power versus a power supply (aka Fuzzes) I don't put a battery inside the pedal, what I do is get some 9V battery clips and 2.1mm barrel plugs from Radio Shack and make a small cable that I connect the battery to and plug into the power plug on the pedal. Works great, I even made one for two batteries to try out powering my Fulldrive 2 and Fat Boost before I went ahead and bought a dedicated power supply for them.

TheGrooveking

7. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

hmmm,

that's a great idea grooveking.

your post reminded me that I actually have those battery clip thingies with my godlyke powerall. How can I connect it to the Boss pedals without possibly wearing away the wire on the battery clip?

8. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

Without drilling a hole into the BOSS pedal you can't use that 9V battery adapter, but if has the 2.1mm barrel plug on it already, hook a battery to it and plug the other end into the effect.

TheGrooveking

9. sandman

sandman Member

Moe,

you don't need ACA adapter.ACA pedals work just fine in a daisy chain with other DC stuff .I use TW-1 that way with no problems.I'm sure someone will explain this better than I did.

10. gatordoc

gatordoc Member

I use Visual Sound 1-Spot for all my pedals, which includes a CE-2 and a DC-2. Never had a problem. Maybe I will!

The DC-2 is really a great chorus. I'll sometimes run the DC-2 into the CE-2 with good results as well. Sounds thicker than either one alone.

11. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I think I'll just use a battery.

BTW, what would be a fair price to pay for the DC-2?

12. haslar

haslar Member

I own a DC-3, and it is by far the most battery-consuming pedal I've ever used. Hence my use of a Visual Sound 1-Spot.

The DC-3 is great for modern sounding stuff, think Bill Frisell or John McLaughlin. It is not a warm sound, I'd call it rather cold - but it's a color that suits some music a lot more than lush warm CE-1 type of sounds.
    If you want The Cure, Echo & the Bunnymen, Bauhaus and early 80s coldwave & neo-romantic sounds: get something along a CE-1 chorus.
    If you're after modern, fusion: a digital chorus might be a better choice.

I prefer the DC-3 to analog chorus, but YMMV. (NB: the DC-3 has a very specific sound, I've never found this in any other pedal or rack unit).