BOSS DD-2 vs TC Flashback Delay

odgeuk

For my occasional Delay requirements I bought an old MIJ DD-2. It's pretty good, people say they are probably the best workhorse Digital Delay out there. It has as much delay time as I could ever need and sounds ok. Without any comparison to other Digital Delay units, it's hard to say for me if it's the best digital delay pedal out there. But it's hardly 'inspiring' you know what I mean? It's not one of those pedals that makes me play longer while I mess with it. I tend to just set and forget.

Now the TC Electronic Flashback does sound great and the sort of pedal which might inspire a big session of playing. So does anyone have any direct experience of the two pedals? I'm thinking that the TC can probably do the DD-2 AND more ? In which case it might be time to upgrade....

Daka3

The FB is a great pedal, IMO. EP-3 toneprint and I'm playing for days. Just beautiful. Love it and have very few reservations - the looper could be better and more flexible, but that's not the main function of the FB and I see it more as an added feature to play around with. Lots of good sounds for a relatively low price in a small footprint. Very little not to like.

odgeuk

Thanks guys, I wonder if anyone is going to chip in with a "Don't get rid of the DD-2!" comment? Somehow I doubt it. Digital Delay seems to be something which has genuinely 'improved' as time and technology goes on, whereas Analog delay seems to always cause people to argue over the 'warmth' or 'repeats' from one model to the next with many people still in the camp that the older pedals were the best.

I guess the only thing we don't know is how long the TC Toneprint pedals are going to last, I'm betting they are a hell of a lot more complex inside than a nice dependable BOSS unit from the 80s!

sbr

I have a DD-2 and whilst it is probably one of the best as far as digital delays go, IMO it's a bit of a one trick pony. The FB give you the option of having very nice quality digital delay, as well as tape, analog, chorused, modulated etc, and of course the toneprints. The good thing is that these extra features aren't just gimmicks, they are all spot on in quality.

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member
I've never had a DD2, but I sold my DD7 for a new FB and couldn't be happier. The FB sounds better overall and has more useable delay types for me. Also the Toneprint thing is amazing. I can actually set my FB for a good lofi setting and turn the type knob to four other settings and get useable delays without any tweaking of tthe other knobs.

KTT

The dd2 doesn't even compare,the flashback is like nothing you ever heard in a pedal up until now,a great ambient transparent sound

PhilC

Silver Supporting Member
I have both. I still prefer the DD-2 over everything I've ever tried for just a straight 2-3 repeat for ambience type delay. But, that's all it does. It does that great which is why guys like Cornish use one as the basis of their modded delays. The flashback does a lot of other things the DD-2 doesn't. It's straight digital delay is cleaner and doesn't sit behind the dry sound like the DD-2, but it still sounds great.

I love that the manufacturers like strymon, TC etc. have caught on to the importance of keeping analog analog and are just mixing the digital into the analog.

champion ruby

Thanks guys, I wonder if anyone is going to chip in with a "Don't get rid of the DD-2!"
Don't get rid of the DD-2! One trick pony but definitely worth keeping. I don't use it for guitars much, but for stuff like keys, vocals and many other instruments it is too awesome.

OOG

DD-2's chip sounds exceptional
The only pedal delay that I've ever liked as much as my DD-2's
is my Timeline

For me
sound trumps features every time

If the TC sounds as good to you
Buy it

dani3l

I now haven both. The DD-2 has a very unique character that I have not been able to replicate with the FB. But the FB can go beyond and produce many kinds of delays.

Resonate01

DD-2 does that one thing very well.

But the Flashback can do multiple things very well. Also TC is known for their 2290 setting, which is present on the Flashback.

Analog, Tape, Digital, Modulation, Reverse, Tone Print options, different subdivisions, strum tempo, true bypass, stereo ins and outs, built in looper, etc etc etc.

Also might I add it sounds GREAT!

So much value crammed into a small box.

ant_riv

Silver Supporting Member
Nothing new to add, but I have both, as well as the mini-FB.

The DD-2 is excellent for what it is and does.

The FB is incredibly versatile and sounds very good.

The mini is a combo of the two, to my ears, and uses a smaller footprint. Kind of a "one-trick" but sounds very good.

Can't go wrong with any of them! I always have two on my pedalboard. One for slap back and one for more ambience.

Trending Topics