Boss DD-2

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by lv, Dec 28, 2005.

1. lv

lv Supporting Member

Picked up a couple of these on eBay (they are the donor pedal used for Pete Cornish's Tape Echo Simulator), and even in stock form, this is a great sounding delay. Clean sounding, but not clinical, nice and warm. For about $110, can't beat it. I actually like the tones better than some of the very expensive boutique stuff out there.

2. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

according to analogman's website, the dd-2s and earlier dd-3s used a certain chip that isn't used in the newer delays, giving them a different sound (now there's a song and dance that just never seems to get old!). Most say it's superior.

Enjoy your purchase!

3. paulydangerous

paulydangerous Member

That's the only delay I use..I've owned a bunch and I always seem to go back to the DD-2..

4. sandman

sandman Member

What do you mean by early DD-3?

Mine is Japanese but I can't tell no difference to my friends Taiwanise model.

5. Dave LaP

Dave LaP Member

Lou, it sounds like you're starting to look for gear that's got high bang for the buck. Smart. I really think that it's possible to put a rig or pedalboard together that will equal high end boutique for MUCH less.

6. kevin hart

kevin hart Supporting Member

the dd-2 and early dd-3's used the same chip as roland's sde-3000 rack delay unit which is/was very popular. larry carlton still uses his sde-3000.
    i replaced my line 6 dl-4, after it failed in the middle of a gig, with a used dd-2 & it sounds great to me.

7. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

Interesting. I have an old DD-3 that my friend gave to me in 1993 and it was fairly old at the time. I've always thought that it sounded pretty warm for a digital delay and I didn't have the complaints that I hear some folks around here with. Maybe mine's one of these old ones.

8. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

well phil, only one way to find out. Buy a boss dd-3 for ***** and giggles and a/b them!

9. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

I have an article on my site that describes the various DD-3 versions, which might help you identify yours. Here's a link: www.stinkfoot.se/andreas/diy/articles/DD3.htm

I have yet to take a pic of the latest version's insides, but will get it done the next time I have one on the bench.

/Andreas

10. lv

lv Supporting Member

If it sounds good, it is good. I was just thinking that you can get a good 75%-85% of the tones of the higher priced stuff for much less money. Though a Cornish board is probably still in my future :)

11. theelectic

theelectic Guest

FYI the A/D and D/A is the same in the DD-2 and newer DD-3. All the chip is responsible for is housekeeping, like stuffing the digital information into the RAM chips, controlling delay time, etc.

12. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

The Boss PS-2 is still my favorite delay... Anybody use those boxes here?

13. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey people,

I have an old, beat up Boss DD-2 delay pedal that I bought in '89. It's missing the blue label on the back of the pedal, but it's one of the most warm sounding delays I've ever heard. That's what Pete Cornish uses in Dave Gilmour's guitar rig. You can't go wrong with the DD-2. You can still find them cheap on E-bay.

Guitar George

14. sandman

sandman Member

nice article.

My DD-3 is the early one - same as DD-2!

15. Ned

Ned Member

my DD-3 is the original version also! and i bought it years ago on ebay not even looking or aware of the old version...good luck i suppose :)

16. Frethog

Frethog Member

I've had a DD-2 since they were new. Not bad sounding, but the switch is cheap and if it goes...good luck getting it replaced. Roland is not well known for speedy service. I had to replace it once before and it took months for the shop to receive the part. Now it's starting to act up again. I keep it on a looper so I don't have to step on it as much. Good delay for the $$. Not that trusty.

17. Frethog

Frethog Member

Well, I guess 2 switches in 22 years isn't so bad...

18. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey frethog,

I own the Boss DD-2 myself and have no problems with mine. Check out Small Bear Electronics (www.smallbearelectronics.com) for the Boss on/off switch. They have them in stock and you can probably replace it yourself.

Guitar George

19. jkr

jkr Supporting Member

I have two (2) DD-3s with the older DD-2 chip and yes, there is a difference between that older chip and the new ones. I a/b'd new and older ones quite a bit to make sure that the difference was apparent. The old chips sounds awesome for a pedal delay. If you have a newer, have Analogman to his hi-cut mod and you'll have even more flexibility. After my rackmount chandler, the DD-3 with the old chip is the delay I turn to.

20. Frethog

Frethog Member

jkr: so you don't recommend the Analogman hi-cut mod for the DD-2 or older DD-3's?