Boss DD-2

lv

Silver Supporting Member
Picked up a couple of these on eBay (they are the donor pedal used for Pete Cornish's Tape Echo Simulator), and even in stock form, this is a great sounding delay. Clean sounding, but not clinical, nice and warm. For about $110, can't beat it. I actually like the tones better than some of the very expensive boutique stuff out there.

Moe45673

according to analogman's website, the dd-2s and earlier dd-3s used a certain chip that isn't used in the newer delays, giving them a different sound (now there's a song and dance that just never seems to get old!). Most say it's superior.

Enjoy your purchase!

sandman

What do you mean by early DD-3?

Mine is Japanese but I can't tell no difference to my friends Taiwanise model.

Dave LaP

Lou, it sounds like you're starting to look for gear that's got high bang for the buck. Smart. I really think that it's possible to put a rig or pedalboard together that will equal high end boutique for MUCH less.

kevin hart

Silver Supporting Member
the dd-2 and early dd-3's used the same chip as roland's sde-3000 rack delay unit which is/was very popular. larry carlton still uses his sde-3000.
i replaced my line 6 dl-4, after it failed in the middle of a gig, with a used dd-2 & it sounds great to me.

Phil M

Silver Supporting Member
kevin hart said:
the dd-2 and early dd-3's used the same chip as roland's sde-3000 rack delay unit which is/was very popular. larry carlton still uses his sde-3000.
i replaced my line 6 dl-4, after it failed in the middle of a gig, with a used dd-2 & it sounds great to me.
Interesting. I have an old DD-3 that my friend gave to me in 1993 and it was fairly old at the time. I've always thought that it sounded pretty warm for a digital delay and I didn't have the complaints that I hear some folks around here with. Maybe mine's one of these old ones.

Moe45673

well phil, only one way to find out. Buy a boss dd-3 for ***** and giggles and a/b them!

lv

Silver Supporting Member
Dave LaP said:
Lou, it sounds like you're starting to look for gear that's got high bang for the buck. Smart. I really think that it's possible to put a rig or pedalboard together that will equal high end boutique for MUCH less.
If it sounds good, it is good. I was just thinking that you can get a good 75%-85% of the tones of the higher priced stuff for much less money. Though a Cornish board is probably still in my future :)

T

theelectic

Moe45673 said:
according to analogman's website, the dd-2s and earlier dd-3s used a certain chip that isn't used in the newer delays, giving them a different sound (now there's a song and dance that just never seems to get old!). Most say it's superior.

Enjoy your purchase!
FYI the A/D and D/A is the same in the DD-2 and newer DD-3. All the chip is responsible for is housekeeping, like stuffing the digital information into the RAM chips, controlling delay time, etc.

Hamer95USA

Hey people,

I have an old, beat up Boss DD-2 delay pedal that I bought in '89. It's missing the blue label on the back of the pedal, but it's one of the most warm sounding delays I've ever heard. That's what Pete Cornish uses in Dave Gilmour's guitar rig. You can't go wrong with the DD-2. You can still find them cheap on E-bay.

Guitar George

Ned

my DD-3 is the original version also! and i bought it years ago on ebay not even looking or aware of the old version...good luck i suppose :)

Frethog

I've had a DD-2 since they were new. Not bad sounding, but the switch is cheap and if it goes...good luck getting it replaced. Roland is not well known for speedy service. I had to replace it once before and it took months for the shop to receive the part. Now it's starting to act up again. I keep it on a looper so I don't have to step on it as much. Good delay for the $$. Not that trusty.

Hamer95USA

Frethog said:
I've had a DD-2 since they were new. Not bad sounding, but the switch is cheap and if it goes...good luck getting it replaced. Roland is not well known for speedy service. I had to replace it once before and it took months for the shop to receive the part. Now it's starting to act up again. I keep it on a looper so I don't have to step on it as much. Good delay for the $$. Not that trusty.
Hey frethog,

I own the Boss DD-2 myself and have no problems with mine. Check out Small Bear Electronics (www.smallbearelectronics.com) for the Boss on/off switch. They have them in stock and you can probably replace it yourself.

Guitar George

jkr

Gold Supporting Member
I have two (2) DD-3s with the older DD-2 chip and yes, there is a difference between that older chip and the new ones. I a/b'd new and older ones quite a bit to make sure that the difference was apparent. The old chips sounds awesome for a pedal delay. If you have a newer, have Analogman to his hi-cut mod and you'll have even more flexibility. After my rackmount chandler, the DD-3 with the old chip is the delay I turn to.

Trending Topics