1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

BOSS DD-20 Delay question..

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Traps, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Traps

Traps Member

Hey folks, this might be a dumb question, but here goes:

Can the DD-20 be set up for various delays? I.e can I use several different delay types? Like the line6 green delay pedal - in a live situation can use one delay type for solos, and another one for clean parts? Can I switch between several delay types, during live performances?

Man, I hope I asked that clearly....

thanks in advance.

2. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

you have five patches on the dd20. four saved and one 'open'. five diff delays if you like. . . . or just five settings with one delay type. i use analog, tape, longer tape, modulated delay, leslie setting . . . . . hope that helps.

3. Traps

Traps Member

ok understood - but can you only use one patch at a time? I'd like to be able to switch between the patches... thanks... I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer....

4. orogeny

one patch at a time, and you have to switch THROUGH the patches. can't go backwards, only forwards. can't go directly from first to last. . . must go through. . . . you get the idea.

5. cestlamort

cestlamort Member

Or, depending on how you set it up, you can have it switch back and forth between two settings.

manual

page 12 describes it.

6. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Member

I say just buy one. They are GREAT delay pedals. I have tried tons and the dd20 (actually dd2,dd3,dd6) are as good or better than anything else out there. IMHO of course.

7. Chthullu

Chthullu Member

That is how i set mine, and it works great (pedal mode 3)

8. valen

valen Member

leslie setting ? Can you elaborate ?

9. orogeny

wow. learn something every day.

10. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

It's a wide, deep modulated delay with a very short delay time. Sounds pretty good, but more like an over-the-top chorus than a real leslie.

11. tedisdead

tedisdead Member

I keep my "manual" setting on SOS, and use the 4 presets for different delays. Since you can't keep an SOS preset, it's like having a looper pedal as well, kind of.

12. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Fast Chorus/Leslie sim

Modulated delay mode
    delay time 3-15ms
    depth 75-100%
    Rate 75-100%
    FX level 2:00-max
    Feedback none-9:00

13. valen

valen Member

Gonna try this tonight. Thanks !

14. musicbymicah

musicbymicah Member

I own one. It's very versatile and useful for the price. I'm not convinced that it's the best-sounding for the price...

15. hamfist

hamfist Member

For the money, I'm convinced the DD-20 is the most versatile, best "value-for-money" for your average gigging guitarist.
    The Nova Delay had so much promise, but they messed up the patch switching, making it too much of a tapdance. DD-20 still has a "one stomp" instant change between patches.

16. thetangmang

thetangmang Member

I didn't even know it could do leslie sounds! This pedal was definitely the best bang-for-the-buck pedals for me.

17. thetangmang

thetangmang Member

Oh, one thing I found useful was that you can record an SOS loop (without any overdubs) and use the first preset delay so that you can have a loop and delay at the same time. It can't do two simultaneous delays though. If it can, someone please enlighten me.

18. tedisdead

tedisdead Member

I was using a DD6, and decided to go with more options. I did a TON of research into the DL4 and DD20, and the DD20 won out. I based my choice on reliability, ease of use, sounds (of course) and price.
    The only drawback I found is that you can't "real time" manipulate the DD20s controls for cool effects. If that's a must for you, get the DL4, but I'm living alright without it.
    Neither will run on a factory pedalboard without a wall wart. FYI.

Cheers.

19. musicbymicah

musicbymicah Member

Not one time in 3 years of ownership have I had to use a wall wart. I've used a Power Pad II the whole time. you can even run it on AA's.

20. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

I reallly like my DD20.

I use it to toggle between the manual and saved preset. I just bend over and move it to the preset needed for the song.