Boss DD-20 Tone suckage ?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dankayaker, Nov 23, 2005.

1. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

Looking for a new delay and this one seems to do alot. I'm worried though that being the only non-true-bypass unit on my board it make leak some of that "magic" out of my rig . . . . . . . .any users out there ? I know other Boss pedals I've used negatively effected the tone when not engaged . . .that's why I'm asking.

thanks

2. CBeeper

CBeeper Supporting Member

I didn't notice too much of a dirrerence with it. Sometimes a little buffer is a good thing.:D

3. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Doesn't bother me either...but I wouldn't want more than on Boss on the board without a looper. One of these days I may try a looper on it to see if it makes much difference.
    Greg

4. dankayaker

thanks guys . . . . .if you've tried the Line 6 EchoPark which do you think is a better pedal ?

5. JohnLutz

JohnLutz Supporting Member

I tried both. Kept the BOSS.

The Line 6 is cooler and more fun. I got the noise problem though.

Had a Guyatone tube delay and a DLS Echo Tap they both sounded a lot bigger than either Line 6 or BOSS.

I have a Memory Lane on order.

John

6. dankayaker

I've had the EchoTap . . loved it but just want a Delay that has some of the multidelay type effects rather than straight-forward delay.

7. CBeeper

CBeeper Supporting Member

Danka,
    Email me if you would..........

8. ABKB

ABKB Member

I got my DD-20 after my DL4 died, had the DL4 set to be TB, and when I put on the DD-20, didnt notice any difference at all. The DL4 was fine sounding, but after my experince with L6, I wont buy anything of thiers so dont know about the Echo park

9. uberschall

uberschall Supporting Member

Just the other day I A/B'd with & without DD20 in my effects loop at stage volume. Guitar straight into amp. I tried it with the output on both +4 & -10 on the DD20 and noticed the same slight tone suckage with each setting. Didn't hear any noise, but the tone suck bugged me enough to get me thinking about other pedals.

Overall, except for not being able to go to any preset with just one tap, like the DL4, and the true bypass, I like the DD20 better. If you tap in a new tempo, turn the delay off, then turn it back on, you'll still have your new tempo, as long as you haven't changed presets. Couldn't do that on my DL4.

Get an external tap switch- I ordered a TINY custom one off eBay and now I have 5 presets + tap taking up less width than 3 presets + tap on DL4.

10. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

there is a slight tonesuck, but it's nothing to tear your hair out over. the dd-20 is in my signal chain, not fx loop, and the change is minor. I have no qualms with keeping it in my signal, it's an excellent pedal.

11. oxtone

oxtone Member

I use the DD-20 in the Loop, and there is absolutely NO TONE SUCKAGE, whatsoever. It's extremely clean and quiet.

I also use the L6 Echo Park in the loop. There is a slight volume boost when I engage it, but I like that about it now. No noise problems with it, at all. It has it's own cool vibe.

12. ccoker

ccoker Supporting Member

I have one in the loop of my rivera and have it set to +4, I hear no difference in or out, now in front of the amp, I would expect some difference..