BOSS DD-20 vs Line 6 DL4

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mike wtf, Sep 19, 2006.

1. mike wtf

mike wtf Member

Hey Guys,
    I'm in the market for something to loop riffs for playing multiple guitar parts ontop of one another. I'm hearing from some to go with the DD-20 and some to go with the DL4. I've fooled around with the DL-4, it's a cool pedal, but have yet to mess around with the DD-20.

Will the DD-20 allow me to loop riffs over one another? essentially that's what i'm looking for, but I really don't know much about it. I know that the DL-4 can do this, but I hear from alot of people that they're junk, and a part of me wants to write off line 6 alltogether for the sole purpose that their amps are trash.

Let me know what you guys think! Thanks.

2. mike wtf

mike wtf Member

Also, if there's any good loopers that don't cost an arm and a leg please suggest them!

3. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

4. johnmfer

johnmfer Member

I have a DD-20 but have not used a DL-4. You can loop over loops. The problem is the same button is shared for effect on/off, sample, and loop overlay. Set the pedal to SOS mode, tap the on/off button once and you start recording. Tap it again, it stops recording and repeats the loop indefinitely. Press and hold down the same button with your foot to add to the loop. However, if you screw up and let go of the button too quickly, the loop shuts off and is gone forever. I think the DL-4 has seperate buttons to prevent this.

I like the DD-20 because it does all my delay stuff. If you're really just looking for a looper, check out the boss RC-20XL Loop Station. http://bossus.com/index.asp?pg=1&tmp=137

5. rickkane32

rickkane32 Member

I have owned both and prefer the DD-20. I even have two DD-20 pedals on my board linked via a common tap tempo. I usually reserve one for loops and the other for my main delays. On occasion I will runt hem both for some very cool "Edge" delay type sounds. The DL4 looper is easier to use and loop over. The DD-20 is much easier to program and see your settings though. Get a DD-20 and RC-20 and you will be in heaven.

Rick

6. inscho

inscho Senior Member

IMO the dd20 has better delays, but the dl4 has a far superior looper.

7. mike wtf

mike wtf Member

Thanks guys, i've been thinking about it and researching all morning and i'm seriously considering getting an RC-20. Seems like it'll help with both writing several guitar parts and remembering riffs which Is really what I need. Perhaps i'll get a DD-20 soon after, but for now i'm going to check out the loop station, then I need to save up a cool 800 for my roadcase so that my gear will survive a full us tour this winter!

8. Simon Moon

Simon Moon Member

I've been looking into loopers lately. I'm getting an Akai Headrush to tide me over until the new Boomerang comes out. I will admit that the new Boss looper looks like a winner. The Headrush wins in the short term because it's relatively cheap, well at least mine is. It's $100 through craigslist. 23 seconds of loop time should be enough for me to start out with. Though it may not be enough for your needs.

9. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

THere is a new Boomerang coming out dec/jan... it's going to be great!
    6 loops, true stereo, about half the size of old boomerang... $450-500 (estimate from Boomerang, heavy emphasis on "estimate")...

10. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

I love my DL4, but I don't use loops, etc I think it does sound pretty good, and for the record I used to use an Echoplex.
    I just need a few different timed delays anf thought the DD20 would be smaller. I just had a BYOC built so we'll see if that gets me there.

11. giggedy

giggedy Member

dd-20, I love mine

12. radcliff

radcliff Member

Bill Frisell is a loop master, and he's been using a DL4 for many years. Same with Oz Noy and John Scofield. Althought, I think Sco also has a Boomerang and RC20.