Boss DD-20 VS. Line6 Dl4? Your take

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gpro34, Mar 24, 2006.

1. gpro34

gpro34 Member

?Just wanted to know what your take is on these pedals, which is more versatile? which has the better sounds? can any be run in stereo??

2. oxtone

oxtone Member

I use a DD-20 in stereo with my stereo Boogie rig (Studio Pre/Simul 2:90), and it sounds very good, especially with the rotary sound. I like the fact that you can select between four "patches", and using the external Boss FS-5U makes real-time tap - tempo a snap. The DD-20 is also very clean and transparent, and I've never had any problems with it - it is built very well. The "Tape" and "Analog" delay sounds are also very good.

I also use a Tone Core Echo Park, and it sounds good, too. It's a good, compact delay when space is an issue. Johnny A uses one on his board.

I've never used the DL4, but I know alot of guys who love 'em. But, they seem to be prone to breaking down, per many HC reviews I've read.

There also is alot of love for the T-Rex Replica. Great sounds, but expensive. Ka ching...

3. murch33

murch33 Active Member

I own both a DD-20 and a DL-4, but the DL-4 is for sale. The DD-20 just sounds better to my ears, and I don't have to fight with it at all to dial in the sounds I want. It seems like the DL-4 is always trying to overpower my volume, so I'm always adjusting the mix knob.

I've never had any problems with the DL-4 breaking down, but it does feel flimsier than the DD-20. I'm just extra cautious when I use it.

4. KennyM

KennyM Supporting Member

More versatile, probably the DL-4. Versatile enough and the better sounding of the two, definitely the DD-20. I have both, but have never cared for the tone of my guitar whenever I use the DL-4.

Kenny M.

5. TooManyToys

TooManyToys Guest

Hey guys. Long time lurker, first time poster here.

Having owned both the DL-4 and the DD-20, I personally opt for the DD-20 for two main reasons:

(1) The DL-4 had a noticeable volume drop when engaged. I found out after I returned it that L6 says disengaging True Bypass can remedy this, but I didn't try it.

(2) The DD-20 has a "manual mode" that the DL-4 doesn't. With the DL-4, you make your choices and have to live with them (at least during a gig). I like that I can adjust the DD-20 on the fly. It also has a memory bank as well.

Another reason to consider is that I've heard the DL-4's are a bit unrealible over time. Boss Pedals, while perhaps a bit generic compared to more "boutique" pedals, are industry workhorses. The DD-20 is no exception.

Having said this, the DL-4 certainly seems to be a more popular choice; everyone from Phil Keaggy to Eric Johnson has used one, but I have to trust myself. I prefer the DD-20 for the above reasons.

Of course, you could just whip out that Visa and buy them both :)

6. yellowecho

yellowecho Member

basically, i've found that the DL-4 is a better looper and better for more special effect delays.
    the DD20, on the other hand, better sounding traditional delays.

With that said, I sold my DL-4 because I tend to prefer more analog sounds, and it just didnt do it for me.

7. g-nem

g-nem Member

The manual mode on the DD20 is a lifesaver- on the DL4 if you edit a patch and then turn it off and back on you lose your edits.

Very glad I traded my DL4 in for a DD20.

8. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

+1 to the DD-20! I love mine and it's a reliable workhorse.

I too have heard major issues with the reliability of the DL-4, including HC reviews and from members of this forum. One member said his friend, who is a dealer, stopped selling DL-4's due to the amount of returns he kept getting.

9. donnyrocker

donnyrocker Member

I find the DL4 to be far more musical than the DD20. I own the DL4, but returned the DD20 when it wasn't significantly superior. I find if one knows what all the knobs do on the DL4, one can very quickly make changes on the fly.

I use the expression pedal A LOT! so this adds quite a range to the settings I have (whatever their names are: multi-tap; slap; sweep┬Śmaybe...). I like to do the Brian May multipart, madrigal harmonies and on the multi-tap (or whatever) I can sweep from a broad delay to a "Rock On" type of longish slap-back with the expression pedal, STILL able to tap-tempo if I need to. The Slap back is set to sweep with the expression pedal from a rockabilly vibe to an '80s Big Deep delay. The Sweep gives me that spooky Jim White, Jeff Buckley phasery delay thang. DD20 can't offer the musical flexibility, particularly using the expression pedal, that the DL4 does.

There is a signal drop off. I have sent mine off to see if Mr Keeley can make it right for me.

(FWIW: the Echo Park was a disaster for me, though I swear by my Verbzilla!)

10. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

+1

I still think both are good,
    but,
    I agree that the L6 is buggy...

I hear Keeley has got a nice mod for it to take care of the volume drops ect...

11. david henman

david henman Member

...i sold my dl4 and bought the boss dd20. i find the boss easier to work with, but i have to confess that the dl4, especially the delay w/mod, was more musical.

i plant to buy a verbzilla this month.

-dh

12. radcliff

radcliff Member

love my DL4

has a way better looper, and i like that my setting revert back to their saved versions, it makes tweaking easy, if i need slightly less delay level, i can crank just the one knob and save the new version, or dump it, on the fly

also love the filter/sweep echo, and the backwards effect

13. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

To keep the facts straight, this all applies to the DD-20 as well

14. ZJD

ZJD Senior Member

[FONT=&quot]Doesn’t the DD-20 have a longer recording time for the looping function than the DL-4? How is it easier to loop with the DL-4 than the DD-20? [/FONT]

15. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

A few people say that they would loose what sound mods they did on the DL-4. All you do is hold the button down until the associated light flashes and that stores the setting. I also loved the ability to reverse the loop and add to it, also the octive options with the loop, it was cool. I still have mine, just the transformer was giving me headaches noise wise on my board, so I hastily took it off. I just run my sweet DD-3 for subtle delay tones now...also got a Verbzilla for some reverbs.

16. radcliff

radcliff Member

the DL4 allows you to build to your loop, as its looping
    does the DD20 allow that?

17. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

you mean overdub? The DD-20 allows that.

18. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

My DL4 caused hum on my pedalboard, so i took it off. I tried the Tonecore, but it hissed like crazy.

I'm thinking about the Boss unit pretty hard, but will probably find a TC 2290 instead, and just forget about pedals.

19. JohnLutz

JohnLutz Supporting Member

Just picked up a Keeley DL-4. I've had two other plain DL-4s in the past as well as the DD-20. I really wanted to like the DL-4 because I like the sweep delay and the layout that lets you easily switch between settings plus do tap tempo. I sold the first two because compared to the DD-20, they sucked tone and produced noise.

So... how does the Keeley compare? The fundamentals are there now. It doesn't suck tone and it's quiet. You can dial in nice clear tones or darker "analog" sounds. With this mod, you can decide between the Boss and Line 6 based on features rather than just basic tone.

John

20. olectric

olectric Supporting Member

I've had the same DL4 for six years, and it's done extremely well for me. I just bought another one as a back up because I've heard that they break down, and I'm just guarding against my luck running out with the first one. I've played a friend's DL4 that has the Keeley mod, and it is killer. I need to get that mod!

I haven't played the Boss, but I can see how the fidelity of the sounds is probably a little higher right out of the box. However, the DL4's features just outweigh that extra bit o' clarity or whatever for me. I use my DL4 with an expression pedal, and that just adds an incredible amount of versatility. I use it to change the volume of the delays on my analog w/ mod setting, the amount of repeats (from one to self-oscillation) on the auto swell setting, and the volume of the delay on my reverse setting. All of these settings are saved with the exp. pedal. Plus, if I unplug the exp. pedal, the settings revert to what I had saved for each of those three patches before I plugged the exp. pedal in.

Regarding the sampler features: Can the Boss switch to half speed or reverse (or both) at the tap of a button? Can you start and stop the recording time to whatever you want with the Boss? From what I understand of the Boss, you have to watch the blinking lights to know when the loop will start over; it won't let you select the end point of the loop by stepping on it. Also, does the Boss have a "play once" button that can be used to "stutter" the beginning of your loop? I don't think that it does any of these things the Line6 does, but again, I haven't played one, so correct me if I'm wrong.