BOSS DD-20 vs. TC Elec. Nova Delay

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by revjinx, Jun 11, 2008.

1. revjinx

revjinx Member

I've been browsing all the forums for quite a while, but never been too active....so, this is actually my first thread post, woo hoo!!!

Been considering switching from my DD-20 to the Nova Delay for a few weeks now, and think I've found a good deal on the Nova. Any thoughts on if it's a good switch or not?
    Thanks for the help.

2. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Not for me. I much prefer the warmth and organic sound of the DD-20. Nova = hi-fi, studio quality tone. Depends on what you like and your intended use. Same goes for the TimeFactor. I returned both in favor of the DD-20.

3. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

I have a dd-20 and I haven't tried the TC.

i'm really happy with my delay sounds right now. I also use it to do a double tracking effect.

4. meterman

meterman Member

DD-20 user here, haven't tried many others but I like the sounds and features of the BOSS especially for half to one third the price of some of the other units out there....now for pure sweet analog I have an early AD900 but for gigs and a utility delay the DD-20 has more features than I'll probalby ever use plus good tone....

5. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I'd be wary. I have a Nova delay and it is pretty nice. Has some really nice features and at least one TERRIBLE one (that you cannot see any settings on your presets...really a stupid call).

You need 12 volts, comes with wall-wart. Takes a little time to learn. But mainly, I have seen mine act "glitchy" and heard of way too many folks getting faulty ones, or ones that stopped working right, or at all, and getting sent another faulty one, etc.

Too many stories, such that though I like mine, I don't trust it. I have seen it too lose preset, and get stuck where I had to power down and up again.

6. kevinsaari

kevinsaari Member

How do you propose it show your settings when recalling presets? Motorized knobs?

7. radcliff

radcliff Member

this topic has been beaten to death

use the search function, and dont be surprised if most users that COULD chime in on this topic don't

8. Cthross

Cthross Member

Completely happy with the DD-20. Tried the Memory Man w/Hazarai, and it paled in comparison to the DD-20. I would like to try the Carbon Copy though.

9. fishlog

fishlog Member

Ok 2 things-

1)Radcliff - way to make someone feel welcome about their first thread.

2) I'll talk about my gear as many times as someone asks because whats the sense in coming here if you don't want to talk about gear.

That being said Stay with the DD-20 or do exactly the opposite of what Cthross said I though tthe Stereo Memory man w/Hazarai was better than the DD-20 in many ways, Sound on sound recording from any setting, More presets, more landscapish sounds, more user friendly, And did not sound as digital as the DD-20.

10. revjinx

revjinx Member

You're too kind, thanks for the help. Would it really have been that hard to just not post anything at all, rather than be a jerk? I thought this was a "community" to help other musicians out.

11. radcliff

radcliff Member

I'm trying to get you to use the search function, because I know that this thread is a poor display of the "Nova vs. DD20" horse

Maybe I care about how you spend your delay money more than others do? Yep
    Because I know you will gain the most value from this debate by looking through the threads that were created when the Nova came out - when huge fans of the Nova, like myself, were willing to type out exactly why.

If you search out the threads that have covered the same topic with twice as many posts, you will find a MUCH better comparison.

Please no name calling, and welcome:)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  12. Flying Panda

Flying Panda Member

I've never played a DD20, but man, do I love my Nova. It's given me ZERO problems in the six months I've had it, and I love the way it sounds. My other delay is the good ol' Ibanez AD9, and between it, nice guitars and a good tube amp, my tone is plenty warm & organic, so I like the "hi-fi" feeling the Nova brings. I also like the slightly smaller size and the soft footswitches. Plus, I got a good deal as well, and it was cheaper than a DD20. In the end, they're both very, very good units...so good luck deciding!

13. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

No, not Motorized faders...I'm not being that unreasonable, there are several ways. Off the top of my head, a dedicated LED that lit up when you turned the knob and found the parameter for that preset. Like "delay time"...your knob for that could be anywhere, you slowly turn it and the LED lights up when you hit the point where the preset is. They could even force you (or not) to hit that point in order to change it. Either way, you could align it all up and see where everything is set. The parameters ARE in memory anyway (that's why it is called a preset...).

OR a push button on the unit to DISPLAY them one by one numerically.

There are lots of ways. None of them involve motorized faders.

AS for the search suggestions. I have at times pointed out that I or someone wrote some very good info, so try a search too, but in general I absolutely agree....the goal here isn't to discuss things once and no more. For one thing, the Nova only came out last year. TIME has gone by. Meaning people have gotten over the honeymoon phase. OR initial problems may have been worked out, OR some more people that owned a DD-20 have bought and so can give NEW input on the comparisons.

So it makes sense to either revive a thread, or start a new one.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  14. JRC4558Dude

JRC4558Dude Member

Very happy with my Nova delay. Haven't tried the DD20, but I'm generally not a great fan of BOSS delays. The Nova is nice because you get a lot of useful features in a relatively small enclosure, and at a reasonable price. For me, the dynamic delay function is worth the price alone. As well, the Nova's buffer is very good and restores a lot of my high end (that i lose from running through a long signal chain.) I've also had no problems with reliability. Good luck with your decision and welcome to the forum. :)

15. Andre357

Andre357 Member

I would at least consider the Eventide Time factor as well....it really leaves both the DD20 and the Nova in the dust....most organic and natural sounding of the three ( when tweaked properly )....and it gives not only fantastic delay sounds, but really good reverb and vintage sounding, warm lush chorus sounds as well....

16. John Price

John Price Supporting Member

I agree!

17. Chadley

Chadley Member

I personally give a slight edge to the Nova but I don't think you can go wrong with either delay. They do sound different so buy one of each from somewhere you can return them, try them out and then pick the one you want.

18. gtrnstuff

gtrnstuff Member

I have both. Both change your tone a bit even bypassed. Both are very flexible. Both need their own dedicated power supply, IME.
    Both have reverse delay, tone control.
    DD-20:
    Bigger, heavier.
    UI is pretty friendly.
    Modulation is more "tape-like".
    No compound subdivisions, i.e. dot 8th+quarter.
    Adjusting tempo is precise with dual purpose knob.
    No dynamic ducking.

NOVA:
    Smaller, lighter.
    UI has a higher learning curve.
    Modulation always sounds like TC chorus.
    Useful compound subdivisions, but no 8th note. 8th note has to be quarter with tempo doubled.
    Adjusting tempo is hit and miss, with knob that controls scroll speed only.
    Dynamic ducking available.

19. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I have the Nova and like it for many reasons. Tap tempo (though you can get external tap pedal for Boss), wider variety of sounds, subdivision feature is cool and easy to use. I am fine with the sound, though I tend to operate mine more on the analogue side.

I have found it plays best when in an effects loops. YMMV

20. revjinx

revjinx Member

Thanks StompBoxBlues...that was kinda my intention. I actually did use the search feature, but still know that there are more people out there that are trying a new pedal every single day....and figured there had to be more input. And I was correct, cause I've seen some folks post on here already with new input from what I've already seen in other threads. Thanks for all the help so far everyone, and keep it coming.