Boss Dd-20

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ccoker, Oct 30, 2005.

1. ccoker

ccoker Supporting Member

(xpost from the pedal forum)

I have in the past owned a bunch of rack units, a LOT of them

I use the DD20 in my series loop (rivera, set at +4db) and it's totally transparant
    I used to use bradshaw line mixers in rack setups to have a true parallel wet/dry mix so the dry tone didn't suffer.. but the DD20 is transparant..

like the others said, it's a great unit, 4 presets (plenty for me, short slapback, 350ms med delay, longer delay and for fun a 4 second reverse for doing freaky stuff, and the manual mode adds a 5th preset

I am using 2 remote pedals, the factory controller jack for preset switching and I wired in a jack for on/off (stereo, tip/ring)

with the analog or tape settings and the highend rolloff I get very wam delays and I am very happy with it
    I also like how the echos trail off when you turn it off or switch presets rather than just a hard stop

2. oxtone

oxtone Member

ccoker,

+1 on the DD-20! I bought one when they first came out, after seeing it at the NAMM Show. Mine has worked great. I especially like the "Modulation" patch - I use it for a huge, stereo Rotary sound. Sounds fantastic in my Boogie Studio Pre/Simul 2:90 stereo guitar rig. Mine is also very transparent, and quiet. A great Delay from Boss/Roland.

3. ABKB

ABKB Member

+2 I also did a product review on this thing about 2, 3 months ago. Love mine. Got it after my DL4 died and have been very happy with it.

4. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

Just got one also, and while I think it's really a cool pedal, I would not call it transparent . . .at least not in my application. It seems to reduce some of the spectrum in the upper mids-highs and make it get a little (just a little ) harsh. That said, appart from the exploding battery mine came with I like it well enough to keep it on my board (although I will be getting a looper to bypas it when not in use).

5. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

does it self oscillate?

6. MikeB

MikeB Guest

I've had one for several months, and I've only come across a couple of minor issues which aren't showstoppers. The first is that the short delay on the dual delay only goes up to 100ms, which is only an issue if you're playing "Where The Streets Have No Name". The second is a bit of glitching on the reverse delay, even with the signal 100% wet - you will get a bit of the forward sound in, which can throw you off. I've noticed this on other Boss delays (such as the one in the ME-50). It's a very nice pedal though, and I'll definitely give a +1 on the Modulation delay, nice way to get an Edge-y sound without rack gear.

7. planetal

planetal Member

+1 (at least)

I've been gigging every weekend with this pedal since it came out. I use a few different amps for gigs (a couple of Riveras, a THD Flexi and sometimes a Mesa Maverick ). This unit works well with all those amps and has always functioned flawlessly.

Al

8. BSHARP

BSHARP Member

+1 For the DD-20. Sold my DL4 after about a year. Had an echoplex for years, but when it died I decided to move on. Very satisfied with the DD-20

9. 1968

1968 Member

Another one for the DD-20.. Does everthing I need in a delay pedal.. Analog setting is great.. Loop function is damn handy.