Boss DD-3 (long chip) worth it?

Sun Creature

Supporting Member
In the way of delay I currently have an SIB Echodrive (red), Boss DM2-W, Tech21 Boost DLA-tt V2, and a Catalinbread Belle Epoch.

I use two delay pedals on my board. Usually the DM-2W for short delays and the Echodrive for longer.

I listened to a few demos of the DD-2 and DD-3 and was very impressed with the sound. Clear but with some analog flavor on the repeats.

I will probably do the DD-3 MiJ version as it is easier to find. Did Boss use the long chip in only the MiJ version or did they use it in the MiT version as well?

derekeugene

Silver Supporting Member
From what I've seen, only early MIJ DD3s have the long chip. It seems like there are later MIJ DD3 without the long chip as well. Tough part is that I don't think anyone knows when exactly the switch happened. You'll pay a little more to get one that definitely has a long chip, or you can gamble on an MIJ where the seller doesn't specify.

It's definitely worth trying out. Even recent DD3s are killer delays for the $$, I imagine the long chip would sound fantastic.

renoman_89502

Just went down this road.....check out the Boss DSD-2 or DSD -3 . It is the same long chip as DD2 and DD3, same delay pedal with an added sampler option, sounds exactly the same as DD2 and DD3 ...best of all the are WAAAY cheaper for some reason then DD2 and DD3
One boss best kept secrets

Sun Creature

Supporting Member
Yeah, I just saw about the DSD pedals as well and have the chance to get a DSD-2 for a bro price. I think I might end up doing that.

renoman_89502

Honestly I think the DSD-3 I have sounds better then the DD-2 that I have ...not sure why if its the same circuit

Kylef

I have a DD-2 and a DSD-3 and they do sound identical.

I also have an Echodrive blue and red, and DD-3 and DD-7. They all have their uses, but my Echodrive blue and DD-2 is my favourite combination.

Ivo

The DD-2 and the other similar long chip versions are fantastic delays. Clear with some soft character is an apt description. I still prefer erm....digital sounding digital delays for when I want the brighter, percussive thing, but the DD-2 is well loved for a good reason.

Trending Topics