Boss DD-3 mods? anyone had theirs done?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Chuck Snider, May 19, 2006.

1. Chuck Snider

Chuck Snider Supporting Member

I have a early DD3 delay and was thinking of haveing it modded by analogman to get the repeats a bit darker.. has anyone here done this?.. Do you like it?.......

2. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I haven't heard a modded one but man I love my DD-3 just the way it is, I wouldn't think of modding mine.

3. Shredcow

Shredcow Member

its just a high cut mod... you can choose to have it with a toggle switch to select how much hi cut you want.

I choose to have a 3-way mod done by a local pedal mod guru here in Singapore... so its normal mode, hi cut 1 and hi cut 2.

Here's a little solo guitar playing with the delay on... don't bother with the poor playing please. :p Its a DD-3 with hi cut on...
    http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=8390D7B536C201DD

4. gregovertone

gregovertone Member

id love to see a boss DD7.

a DD3 w/ hi cut toggle and tap tempo.

i think it would own the delay market.

5. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

Ditto.

A

6. ASATClassic

ASATClassic Member

You're describing the Analogman mod for the DD-6

7. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey folks,

I've had Analogman install his high cut mod on my old MIJ Boss DD-2 digital delay with the large delay chip. It's a three position toggle switch that's installed on the upper left corner of the pedal. Left position is dark sounding, middle position is the stock digital sound, and the right position is darker sounding. Very cool sounds that makes the delay warm sounding. You will have to increase the effect level when it's switched in the left or right position. I got mine done in exchange for my Ibanez FL-9 pedal trade because Mike is a cool guy. Great mod that can be done on the reissue DD-3. Check it out here:
    http://www.analogman.com/dd5.htm

Guitar George

8. gregovertone

gregovertone Member

i understand that.

im talking new production delay, no mods.

i dont want to have to score a $120 delay with features i dont want (reverse, etc)......then send it off for another $50+ mod.....

by that point in time, you've priced yourself into some other killer delays.

imho.

9. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

I did the mod myself to reduce the highs just a bit. I don't want it real dark, cause I've got a real analog AD-900. It does sound a bit better, it already sounded good in my opinion. Bear in mind that it doesn't affect the first repeat, but since the other repeats progressively get darker, it does make for a smoother sound.

All the mod is is a capacitor soldered to the level control (can't remember which one I used, I used the lowest one recommended on the DIY mod I used. But the mod that these guy's do with the switch simply switches in a couple of different cap values.

If your not DIY savvy, I'd recommend this one of the mods out there (keeley,analogman...)

10. Chuck Snider

Chuck Snider Supporting Member

Yo,
    is there a link to the DIY mod?.... that would be cool...

11. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

or you can just by a Jacques prisoner.

12. Tinman

Tinman Member

I have an Analogman-modded DD-3. Great sounding delay. Longer delays sound great, but slap-back echo sounds ultra great.

13. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

I bought the DIY mods package from Brian at indyguitarist.com

http://www.indyguitarist.com/

In the middle of the page there is a link to buy a mod book. You can buy the actual book or you can order the downloadable version. Everytime it's updated, you get the update for free. It's really a good deal. He offers promotions some times for $25. I think that's what I payed. You can learn how to do the same type of mods that Keeley, Analogman do. Now I'm not saying exactly, but the same type. These guy's are still a great route to go. (I have a Keeley RAT that I love!!) But if you have soldering skills and some patience for research and ordering parts (best way is Smallbear) it's a lot of fun.

Pedals I've modded with this book:
    Boss SD-1 (now sounds a lot like a Fulldrive)
    Boss DS-1 (better quality tone)
    Boss DD-3 Delay
    Boss CH-1 Chorus
    Boss GE-7 (higher quality tone)
    Tonebone Classic (just to make it louder)
    Voodoo Lab Micro Vibe
    I think that's all... but it's worth it.

14. Blues Lyne

Blues Lyne Member

15. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

BIG Thumbs Up for my AM modded DD3.
    Its nice to have the stock digital repeats, as they are better for some things, and have a longer delay time that digital gives you, but the warmth and darkness of analog.