1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

BOSS DD-5 vs. DD-6

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Qman87, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Qman87

Qman87 Member

Anyone tried both of these? I guess they don't make the DD-5 anymore but they're not too hard to track down. A lot of people have a problem with the tap tempo on the DD-6.

2. Dave Yeats

Dave Yeats Member

The tap tempo is why I found a DD5 and an external boss switch for the tap. I use the tap a lot, and I didn't like having the tap feature integrated with the pedal.

3. willyredeemed

willyredeemed Member

had a dd-6...sold it for a dd-5 b/c the tap function became a hassle. good idea at first, but then it is much easier to have a dedicated tap tempo pedal than to hold down for 2 secs.

4. $uperpuma

$uperpuma Member

I really hope Boss takes note. The dd-5 is just more practical for the live player.

5. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Unless you don't use tap tempo.
    I use the DD-6 delay for 2 main things - ambientish delay (around 700ms) with the hi-cut mod, and warp for 'self oscillation' type stuff. I'm not doing any Edge type stuff. And if I want to do the May type stuff, I just turn the effect level knob up while on my 'ambient' setting.

6. Qman87

Qman87 Member

I've had no experience with these yet so I dunno if this is true but I hear that the DD-5 has a very limited effectiveness and the sound it creates isn't all that great. Has anyone found the DD-6 to have better sound quality in terms of diversity?

7. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Completely the opposite. IMHO, the DD-5 is the absolute best pedal digital delay of all time.

8. j_m_s

j_m_s Member

Guitar Josh, spot on.

That tap tempo thingy on the dd6 just bugs me.

Id rather have external tap tempo. Easier for live use.

9. musickbox

musickbox Supporting Member

They sound pretty much the same. You should read analogman's small article on the Boss dds. I have a DD5 for it's simplicity and easy to use. Yes it is way easier to use live than most delays. Having said that, I don't think it's worth the price they are going for. I got mine awhile ago for 50 bucks and sold it, then bought it back for the same price. Been using that and a DE7 for almost a year now.

10. benjisaynomore

benjisaynomore Member

+1 mine's in the mail. What's a reasonable price for a tap tempo on one of these? I have a guy in town who makes custom ones for $20.

11. jonathansuhr

jonathansuhr Member

Boss discontinued the DD5 because the DD20 has all the capabilities of the DD5 + sumthin sumthin in a bigger footprint.

12. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

And here it is from Analogman's site:

"I dont think there is much difference between the DD-5 and DD-6, people seem to like the DD5 but maybe it's because you can't buy it anymore... The DD6 has better quality capacitors in it so it should sound better. The high cut mod sounds a little better in the DD6 than the DD5. The DD5 external tap tempo switch is easier to use, but the DD6 has longer delay time and does not need the KILL switch... tradeoffs which should let you decide which would be best for you. People seem to like the DD2 and DD3 a lot too, they were the 1st digital delay offered in pedal form so it's an old school sort of tone. The DD2 and older DD3 pedals used an awesome chip from the high end Roland rack delay units, they sound excellent- so good that Pete Cornish uses them in his mega dollar custom units. Here is a picture of the old style board, showing the huge chip. The current DD3 uses a newer delay chip, smaller square version, and may not sound QUITE as good as the older ones. The older ones had a large chip inside with 2 rows of legs, it goes all the way across the circuit board! The newer ones have a newfangled square delay chip with surface mounted legs on all four sides.

The DD2 and 3 use an analog COMPANDER chip just like an analog delay, to keep the noise low. That may be one reason why they sound more like an analog delay. The HIGH CUT mod on these is REALLY cool but does not allow more than several repeats. If you don't need the longer delay time, infinite repeats, stereo, or tap tempo, the DD3 is probably your best bet. And we now sell them new with the high cut mod at a lower price than the DD-6. The DD3 does not have trailing delays (when you turn it off, echoes stop). DD6 does have trailing delays, the delays continue to fade out when you turn off the pedal."

13. willyredeemed

willyredeemed Member

dd-5 is most practical if you're looking for tap temp.

14. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Mike's just wrong on this one. It's because it sounds better. Look at this evidence in the thread alone, we can't all be wrong.

15. guildchild

guildchild Member

maybe it's because it was one of the first pedals i owned, but the dd-5 seems to sound better to me. again, maybe it's just because i'm used to it. dd-5's tap tempo is essential for me. y the tap pedal into dd-5 and dd-20, solo over comfortably numb for 3 1/2 hours and call me in the morning...

16. musickbox

musickbox Supporting Member

Notice Mike doesn't say the DD6 sounds better, just says it should sound better. It's kind of a lot of these boutique pedals. They might have all the "right" parts, but some pedals that have cheaper parts sound better for whatever reason. I believe you are splitting hairs when it comes to the dd5-dd6 comparison. Again, I like the dd5 overall and it would be my pick. To each his own.