Boss DD-500 Questions, Tips, Tricks, and Solutions

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Guitar1969, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Guitar1969

Guitar1969 Member

I thought it was time to start a dedicated thread to this new unit now that players are finally getting their hands on it (But not me - still waiting).

I also could no longer stand looking at that mislabelled DD-500 Title.

Lets use this thread for posting detailed features, workflows etc. Maybe the mods can redirect some of the other threads out there.

Update March 28, 2018:
    @MaxBoogie was kind enough to update the Google doc of presets. Here is his post info and link to the new spreadsheet:

Quoted from his post:

Here's the spreadsheet I created... I have multiple tabs with the original v1 patches and move matrix, plus the new V2.01 patches and move matrix, as well as a list of JUST the additional patches now included with v2.01.

NOTE: There is now only room for 2 copies of every patch, instead of 3 like in the first firmware. My move matrix is designed to put "safe" copies of the original patches into locations 40-85 organized by delay type. My OCD prevents me from splitting the A/B locations into different delay types, so I've just added some bare "INIT" patches in those "B" locations where they are needed.

My theory on usage is to use the first 40 locations (80 patches) for live/working patches arranged any way you like that works for you. The next 45 locations (90 patches) are where the factory presets live (again, organized by type), and the last 14 locations (28 patches) are for experimenting.

EDIT: Updated the sheet to fix a few slight errors... AND Made this accessible for viewing... New to Google Docs... sorry.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...xoJORpT3pTGjoQXwq7Z7JZA7nk/edit#gid=743435669

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  2. Guitar1969

Guitar1969 Member

From Mr. Analog:

Here are the steps to reassign the TAP/CTL that button to tap tempo on any preset.
    1) Press the EDIT button
    2) Press the button. "CONTROL" is now highlighted on the screen.
    3) Press the EDIT button. "TAP/CTL" is now highlighted on the screen.
    4) Use the TIME/VALUE knob to select "TAP".
    5) Press the EXIT button to return to the top screen

This is covered on page 8 of your manual. You can assign any of the following functions to the TAP/CTL button: Tap, Hold, Warp, Twist, Moment, Roll 1/2, Roll 1/4, Roll 1/8, Fade In, Fade Out and Assign. Given the impressive number of options, it's understandable that Boss would try to show some of them off in the factory presets.

Crowder likes this.
  3. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

There is someone on reverb.com offering a mod for an extra external port.

4. celticelk

celticelk Member

This is, I think, the fourth time I've asked this question in DD-500-related threads, so maybe I'll finally get an answer:

Is there a latching option for the Infinite Hold feature? The Boss website description makes it sound as though you need to hold down the TAP/CTR switch to keep the hold going. Are there different options for external footswitches, or MIDI, to control this feature?

Honch likes this.
  5. goodhonk

goodhonk Member

any advice on making it sound less sterile?

Tootone likes this.
  6. Guitar1969

Guitar1969 Member

What particular Delay are you referring to - We would assume the Digital Delay setting should be considered "Sterile", or clear, depending how you look at it.

Silver Hand likes this.
  7. DSGE

DSGE Member

Just a disclaimer for the mod. I don't want "extra external port" to be misinterpreted.

The mod is essentially an extension of the Tap/Control footswitch. In order for it to work as intended, you have to make sure tap is enabled for your presets. Otherwise tapping on your external pedal will trigger whatever function is assigned to the TAP/CTL footswitch.

dpark39 likes this.
  8. Guitar1969

Guitar1969 Member

So you can't really assign a different function to the internal tap/cntrl swtch - The external footswitch duplicates whatever the internal is set to do?

9. Enusire

Enusire Member

now we have at least 3 DD500 threads and one DD550 thread were people are discussing the exactly same things. :rolleyes:

JackStraw12 and iahawk36 like this.
  10. mdmack

mdmack Member

You can essentially have 3 tap/control switches assigned to their own parameter without any mod to the pedal. You can set the onboard switch to tap/conrol any function, then you have a TRS jack on the back that can be split for addition of 2 momentary control switches or 1 TRS expression switch/pedal.

To try and make it even more clear, in the menu you can set a different function for "onboard control switch" "control 1 (tip of the TRS)" and "control 2 (Ring of the TRS" . So you could leave the onboard switch as "TAP" set control 1 as "WARP" and set control 2 as "HOLD"

11. Guitar1969

Guitar1969 Member

Yeah, hoping this will become the technical, How to side of it, once things settle down. There is just too much clutter in the other thread.

topo morto likes this.
  12. bass_econo

bass_econo Member

When did you get yours?

jackrockerman and goodhonk like this.
  13. DSGE

DSGE Member

To elaborate on mdmack's comment as it relates to my mod:
    The mod is intended for people with some type of external multi-tap pedal or controller. The only way to do it on the stock pedal is to use the exp/ctl jack, which renders it useless for other parameters since most external tap pedals are only TS connections. The mod makes the "internal control" parameter optionally external. You basically gain the ability to make all 3 assignable parameters externally controlled. Whether or not you use it for tap tempo is really up to you. Hopefully that makes sense.

14. Prince

Prince Supporting Member

Bookmarking for when I get mine in 3 weeks

15. mdmack

mdmack Member

I have been meaning to check this for you and I just keep forgetting. I will try to remember to check tonight and report back.

celticelk likes this.
  16. goodhonk

goodhonk Member

i don't have one, i've just seen them described as sterile on some of the more reputable forums.

17. baklavaa

baklavaa Member

Just got mine today! I will try to answer the questions in the above thread this evening, though it might not be till friday. Using it live tonight at band practice :)

haven't figured out how to turn both patches on at the same time, so as soon as someone figures it out post it!

I will say that switching control functions on the control switch for each patch is super intuitive, I had no trouble figuring it out. it sounds good though guys, it sounds really good...

18. baklavaa

baklavaa Member

The Hi fi digital delay sounds pretty sterile. but the vintage digital delay sounds fantastic (IMO) from the few minutes I got to spend tweaking it over lunch

LordByron likes this.
  19. mdmack

mdmack Member

@baklavaa you have to go into the system settings to get to the A&B patches to work together. Also to any of you who think the delays are sounding sterile, turn the mod rate and time up or go mess with the high and low damp settings within each patch. Vintage delay with the high damp rolled all the way off is incredible sounding. it makes each trail get darker so the first repeat is very rhythmic and every repeat after just gets soupier so it almost has that DMM wall of sound behind it.

20. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

I'm still confused. I thought you could be able to do that with a FS5* FS into the stock exp/ctl jack or to assign either function to the 3rd footswitch in the pedal.

I'll be using MIDI for all that so I'm not worried, but it just doesn't make sense from what I saw in the videos. I need to read the ****ing manual.