Boss DD-500 Questions, Tips, Tricks, and Solutions

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Guitar1969, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Guitar1969

Guitar1969 Member

No guide or help....... :(

2. olejason

olejason Supporting Member

What do you need to know? Install drivers from Boss then run Roald's program. Here is some additional information he passed along to me about sysex editing on the DD-500:

You'll need to calculate a checksum to finalise your message, there is no clue how to calculate this in the Implementation Chart, but I found how to do it in another Roland device manual:
    1. You'll need to sum all the numbers of the address and parameter-value.
    2. the sum of step 1 % 128
    3. 128 - the result of 2 is the checksum.

e.g. if the hex message you want to send is: (address:) 30 00 10 0A (value:) 30 - [set the pitch in shimmer-mode to +24 semitones]
    1. the sum of all these numbers is 48 + 0 + 16 + 10 + 48 = 122
    2. 122 % 128 = 122
    3. 128 - 122 = 6
    so the checksum is 0x06

The complete message is F0 41 10 00 00 00 1A 12 30 00 10 0A 30 06 F7
    F0 = start of a SysEx message
    41 = Manufacturer ID (Roland)
    10 = device id
    00 00 00 1A = Model ID
    12 = Send values (If I'm correct, 13 is receive values)
    30 00 = first part of address: temporary patch (found on page 4)
    10 = second part of address: edit the delay patch (found on top of page 5 of chart under paragraph 1-4)
    0A = third part of address: Shimmer Pitch (found on page 24 of chart under paragraph 2-6)
    30 = value (range from 0 - 48 in decimal, so 0x00 to 0x30 in hex)
    06 = checksum
    F7 = close the SysEx message

So after all it's a puzzle to find the right message for the right parameter, but if you invest some time in it you'll be able to understand it quite fast.
    I hope this 'manual' will gave a bit of information of how the mapping of parameter changes is done.

3. XmoZxWF

XmoZxWF Member

I feel like I'm overlooking something obvious but is there a mode that is equivalent to the "Manual" preset on the DD-20. i.e., where the sound is controlled strictly by the position of the manual knobs?

OccTone likes this.
  4. ThinPaperWings

ThinPaperWings Member

I don't think there is. One issue is that many parameters are only menu accessible, they don't have knobs. So it would be pointless in some respects to have a manual setting given that. (That's how I would see the rationale).

5. XmoZxWF

XmoZxWF Member

I can see that, but really in that case I wish they had simply ditched the knobs and went with a much larger screen.

6. mamm7215

mamm7215 Member

When I used it the parameter changes in the editor change in the DD500 real time. They just don't save, you have to write them manually on the DD500.

7. traktop

traktop Member

Downloaded the editor and it looks pretty cool with all the parameters in just one screen. Will try it soon.
    Can´t receive anything from the dd-500, right?
    Different question: Have all dd500 menu parameters a related midi CC or just the main ones?
    I´m a boss es-8 user and would like to fine tune some dd-500 value presets via es-8 "per preset" CCs, so I don´t need to store new modified presets of the same kind on the dd-500 for each different song.
    Cheers, Gilberto.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  8. hugbot

hugbot Member

Got my DD500 today. Heres a minus the bear style stutter patch:

Mode: digital
    Level: 0
    Note: 8ths or quarter notes, whichever you prefer.
    Assign:
    ASSIGN 1 SW: on
    SRC: CTL1 PDL (or whatever)
    MODE: Moment
    TRIG: EFFECT LEVEL
    MIN: 0
    MAX: 100
    ASSIGN 2 SW: on
    SRC: CTL1 PDL (or whatever)
    MODE: Moment
    TRIG: FEEDBACK
    MIN: 0
    MAX: 100

Gregmon79 and LordByron like this.
  9. olejason

olejason Supporting Member

Only the parameters outlined in the manual can be altered via CC. It is mainly the things accessible by the physical knobs as well as on/off for each patch and bank up/down. I had mine hooked up to the computer and wrote a program to cycle through every CC and didn't find any undocumented commands.

10. hugbot

hugbot Member

I'm enjoying this so far but...the analog and tape sounds aren't quite there for me. The tape lacks some of the compression of the RE20 that let it sit in a sweet spot at the edge of feedback around 2-3 o clock on the dial. The analog conversely needs the option to dial some of its grittiness out.

What it really needs to be perfect IMO is some kind of internal "grit" parameter like the timeline or the catalinbread belle epochs "rec level". Something that can make the tape preamp more compressed and bouncy.

Stratburst70 likes this.
  11. traktop

traktop Member

Thanks.
    It was mainly the modulation rate parameter what was missing for me.

12. traktop

traktop Member

I find the feedback decay kind of annoying in general.

dickjonesify likes this.
  13. Norrin Radd 1966

Norrin Radd 1966 Member

Hey guys -

Complete novice here with a new DD 500. How do I make an analog delay greater than 300ms?

Any help much appreciated. Thanks!

14. Kylote

Kylote Member

I think you change it from quarter notes but not 100% sure. I haven't tweaked mine much, but there is a preset with analog over 300ms. I think I just start from there. It isn't 1B... I think it is maybe 14A or B... something like that. Someone else can probably give you a better answer ;)

15. ThinPaperWings

ThinPaperWings Member

You need to set the number of delay chips to 4 instead of one or two in the parameters menu.

I would think someone with the power cosmic would not have trouble figuring that out. :D

16. Norrin Radd 1966

Norrin Radd 1966 Member

LMFAO! D'oh! So ludicrously simple and easy when you put it like that! ;)

But just for kicks, let's pretend I don't know how to enter the parameters menu - where would I access that?

Never mind! I actually figured it out on my own. Know how? By RTFM! Oy....:oops:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  17. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

Good call on adding volume control for the loop, but no MIDI CC or external control over it? **** you Boss, with all due respect.

MetalGuitard likes this.
  18. Caramello Koala

Caramello Koala Member

Can anyone get their DD500 to self oscillate? I cannot for the life of me get it to with the feedback cranked. I've tried it in analog mode at all settings and even tape with one head and no luck.

Only way I can get it to oscillate successfully is to crank the feedback and assign the tap to 'warp' and it'll sort of oscillate when I hold it down, but stop as soon as I let it go, and I miss out on tap tempo in doing this. I'm wondering if my unit is faulty as I could easily get my DD7 to freak out when I had one.

tremolo3 likes this.
  19. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

Mine does on every mode, I just checked. But 2 weird things are happening:

It won't self oscillate if I crank the feedback on some of the stock presets.
    Every time I crank the feedback knob on the rest of the presets (the ones I made mostly) and I change of bank, I get a weird but really quick glitch on the display haha.

20. Mr. Limbic

Mr. Limbic Member

^^^ you can set the delay EQ setting to create patches that don't oscillate, hence some of the stock presets won't do it. If you go to the end of the pedal banks with the presets marked as "basic delay" then switch to any of the modes they almost all should oscillate I believe