• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Boss DD-500 vs Korg SDD-3000?

guitarman92

hey guys, was wondering if anyone has compared these two directly? I know that shnobel has compared them but that was before the update, and I like read i people’s thoughts better than one demo.

I only use the sdd-3000 setting on my Korg. But I know the dd500 is a lot easier to use and doesn’t have nearly as many quirks.

Thanks guys

I have the Korg on my big board (SDD mode only for me too, and I use it in conjunction with an Echolution 2 and Strymon Timeline) and the DD-500 on my small board. I use both with MIDI. If I only had to have one delay, I might go with the DD-500. The Korg definitely has more mojo, and the great preamp, but the volume drop issue is annoying, and after having had the thing for years, I still don't understand how to set up dual functionality very well. Also could not get the Sysex bulk dump to work. The DD-500 is way easier to use, has the nice editor, and great boost/cut functionality (you need v2 firmware to do the boost). The Vintage Digital/SDE algorithm(s) get in the same ballpark as the SDD-3000, and there's good sounding stuff in other algorithms as well, like Tera Echo, Tape, Dual (a LOT of options here, especially with v2).

Last edited:

soundxplorer

Silver Supporting Member
I came here with this question, and I'm still not sure myself. I just got an MD-500 for modulation and it is outstanding. I am very impressed with that pedal, so that made me think, maybe the other 500 series pedals are the "be all end all" solutions and I should try them.

But I really, really can't imagine giving up the SDD-3000 pedal I've used for so long. It has the perfect preamp and SDD sound, it's exactly how I want my delay to sound. Has anyone replicated that with their DD-500?

I keep listening to this demo (old) and I still hear a bit more magic in the SDD.

jibreel

The DD 500 may be my desert island pedal, it is that good. However, while the EQ settings must be tweeked to get the best sound tonally, of all my higher end pedals, it does lack some tonal " mojo " which is probably an inherent issue.

But I really, really can't imagine giving up the SDD-3000 pedal I've used for so long. It has the perfect preamp and SDD sound, it's exactly how I want my delay to sound. Has anyone replicated that with their DD-500?

I keep listening to this demo (old) and I still hear a bit more magic in the SDD.
The preamp is the thing. There is just no way to replicate the preamp sound of the SDD in the Boss, the DD-500 is not meant to do that. The Boss doesn't have any kind of preamp emulation; it does have a preamp of necessity, as all delays do, but it is pretty neutral and only boosts or cuts volume and does tremolo (with an assign). Whatever the Vintage Digital algos are doing, they are doing to the delay line only and not the dry signal.

I do think Vintage Digital does a good job of the crisp, clanging, companded/expanded 80s delay thing, but you need to add a dedicated preamp with color if you want...a preamp with color. You could pair the DD-500 with an SDD preamp pedal, like the Psionic Audio Triad (if you can find one - not sure if they're still made), but they're not cheap.

Buck Woodson

Silver Supporting Member
One thing I rarely see mentioned about the Korg SDD-3000 is how good and powerful the modulation is, it's among the very best I've experienced amongst pedals. I have to wonder how the DD-500 modulation compares?

mentoneman

my flashback x4 power connector has been weirding out so i jumped on a used dd-500 today after spending some time with it. great tones along the classic boss encyclopedia of delays. will be very interested in testing the looping quality. (hurray. i forsee yet another mind-numbing boss textbook style online instruction manual in my near future....)

by contrast the korg pedal which i have used strikes me as immediately more toneful with all that attention they put into the preamp, great modulation that harkens back to the rack, but noisier as you pile on the dirt and way less flexible.

after sending the korg back to my friend's pedalboard, i picked up a less hyped roland sde-1000 rack delay and that $100 tokyo fossil schooled the korg pedal at it's own game.

earwax

One thing I rarely see mentioned about the Korg SDD-3000 is how good and powerful the modulation is, it's among the very best I've experienced amongst pedals. I have to wonder how the DD-500 modulation compares?
I found the modulation to be better on the DD20 than the DD500. For me the 500 falls short of the 3000’s mod.

These days I am mainly using a carbon copy and DIG.

The mod on the SDD-3000 is fine - there is just no way to separate the tonal mojo of the unit from the preamp. And the DD-500 doesn't have that preamp. I like the DD-500 modulation and I get a sense that it is different from algorithm to algorithm. The Tera-Echo mod is different from the Tape mod, for instance. Some are heavier than others. I'd probably say the Korg's mod (only use SDD mode, btw) is a little more shimmery and rich, and probably a bit more 80s sounding, in a good way.

Regarding what we can control - you can patch the DD-500s mods to assign, so the rate and or depths change with input level. It's time-consuming to set up and sometimes difficult to really get the sound you want - it can make things more dynamic than the standard mod tho. On the Korg, you have control over waveform - you are probably not going to use square much, but being able to choose (continuously) between triangle, sine, random and envelope is nice. (FWIW the Pigtronix Echolution 2 let's you choose waveforms OR have superimposed LFOs that integrate multiple waveforms. The Meris Polymoon has triangle waveform only, but about 12 different stepped pairings of speed and depth that do standard stuff all the way up to pitch-shifting craziness.)

after sending the korg back to my friend's pedalboard, i picked up a less hyped roland sde-1000 rack delay and that $100 tokyo fossil schooled the korg pedal at it's own game.
I've heard by people whose opinions on these things I greatly respect that the SDEs were the best delays Roland/Boss ever made. The old racks really do sound fantastic. I have a Korg SDD-2000 rack (no preamp) that sounds wonderful, but you are dealing with maintenance concerns with stuff that old. (Certainly the vintage Rolands are cheaper than the vintage Korgs, Lexicons, Eventides & TCs) Never compared it to my SDD-3000 pedal side by side but probably should.

MichiganEsquire

Silver Supporting Member
The mod on the SDD-3000 is fine - there is just no way to separate the tonal mojo of the unit from the preamp. And the DD-500 doesn't have that preamp. I like the DD-500 modulation and I get a sense that it is different from algorithm to algorithm. The Tera-Echo mod is different from the Tape mod, for instance. Some are heavier than others. I'd probably say the Korg's mod (only use SDD mode, btw) is a little more shimmery and rich, and probably a bit more 80s sounding, in a good way.

Regarding what we can control - you can patch the DD-500s mods to assign, so the rate and or depths change with input level. It's time-consuming to set up and sometimes difficult to really get the sound you want - it can make things more dynamic than the standard mod tho. On the Korg, you have control over waveform - you are probably not going to use square much, but being able to choose (continuously) between triangle, sine, random and envelope is nice. (FWIW the Pigtronix Echolution 2 let's you choose waveforms OR have superimposed LFOs that integrate multiple waveforms. The Meris Polymoon has triangle waveform only, but about 12 different stepped pairings of speed and depth that do standard stuff all the way up to pitch-shifting craziness.)

I've heard by people whose opinions on these things I greatly respect that the SDEs were the best delays Roland/Boss ever made. The old racks really do sound fantastic. I have a Korg SDD-2000 rack (no preamp) that sounds wonderful, but you are dealing with maintenance concerns with stuff that old. (Certainly the vintage Rolands are cheaper than the vintage Korgs, Lexicons, Eventides & TCs) Never compared it to my SDD-3000 pedal side by side but probably should.
The SDE 3000 is arguably the best digital delay ever made. It's up there with the 2290 and PCM 42 in terms of quality of tone, although with less flexibility. I'd personally rank them as: (1) PCM 42; (2) SDE 3000; (3) TC 2290; (4) SDD 12000; and (5) SDD-3000 (I don't care about the preamp in my setup).

mentoneman

I’ve played through a few rigs where the dual sde-3000 was the centerpiece stereo delay effect and feel familiar with what that unit does. The pedal input gain doesn’t seem to behave identically to the rack. Still cool but different. Kinda more square/harsh when pushed to clipping versus smoother rack pre.

i was honestly shocked by the lowly sde-1000 capturing most of the magic of big brother. But the input does run hotter and clip easily in normal rack use. Good news is even when the LEDS are in the red it still has a little headroom until bad clipping happens. i struggled with that a bit.

I’ve played through a few rigs where the dual sde-3000 was the centerpiece stereo delay effect and feel familiar with what that unit does. The pedal input gain doesn’t seem to behave identically to the rack. Still cool but different. Kinda more square/harsh when pushed to clipping versus smoother rack pre.

i was honestly shocked by the lowly sde-1000 capturing most of the magic of big brother. But the input does run hotter and clip easily in normal rack use. Good news is even when the LEDS are in the red it still has a little headroom until bad clipping happens. i struggled with that a bit.
You're losing me a bit with the red...are you saying the Korg SDD-3000 pedal input gain does not behave identically to the SDE rack input? Or that the Korg rack gain is different from the Korg pedal gain? (Not sure if were saying you had stereo SDD-3000 racks or Roland SDE-3000 racks, actually. It's so easy to get them confused - SDE vs SDD.)

mentoneman

You're losing me a bit with the red...are you saying the Korg SDD-3000 pedal input gain does not behave identically to the SDE rack input? Or that the Korg rack gain is different from the Korg pedal gain? (Not sure if were saying you had stereo SDD-3000 racks or Roland SDE-3000 racks, actually. It's so easy to get them confused - SDE vs SDD.)
The pedal preamp doesn’t sound/feel like the sde-3000 i’ve used or the sde-1000 i own.
Any delay pedals I’ve ever owned or played either sounded confined where it goes from almost there to harsh clip, or felt a bit diminished due to too much headroom. I’ve always attributed that to input headroom/operating voltage and design space and cost limits.

For example I’ve never been a fan of old boss analog delays-too dark and funky- but this old desktop box did what those pedal tried to do with better core tone and feel:

having owned a roland space echo and tc 2290 it’s hard to live up to those! H&K Replex and Damage Control Timeline were 2 of the better pedal delays I’ve owned for input control and feel.

mentoneman

Happy to report the initial run through of the dd-500 was pretty fun. the looper sounds great, and the vintage setting which i assume is the sde 3000 was one of the better delay sounds i found in the box so far.

as a side note, i recently messed with the sde 3000 preset in my katana 100 amp and it sounded great too!

Are they perfect recreations? Maybe not but i hear the resemblance and they are nice and warm in their own right.

Happy to report the initial run through of the dd-500 was pretty fun. the looper sounds great, and the vintage setting which i assume is the sde 3000 was one of the better delay sounds i found in the box so far.

as a side note, i recently messed with the sde 3000 preset in my katana 100 amp and it sounded great too!

Are they perfect recreations? Maybe not but i hear the resemblance and they are nice and warm in their own right.
You are able to select between SDE-2000, SDE-3000 or DD-2 submodes within the Vintage Digital menu. Different options with filtering, feedback phase are available depending on the model.

Trending Topics