• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Boss DD-500 vs Korg SDD-3000?

mentoneman

So verified that indeed the box was set to sde-3000 and after deeper diving noticed it has very powerful eq controls. My first impression is that the eqs work better filtering the repeats then they do boosting the input but i’m only scratching the surface.
The wacky filter pattern shimmer stuff is cool but I have an H9 and that is high level further out than i’ll ever need!
Next experiments will be Chase Tone secret preamp into dd-500, and a/b with DD-2.

So verified that indeed the box was set to sde-3000 and after deeper diving noticed it has very powerful eq controls. My first impression is that the eqs work better filtering the repeats then they do boosting the input but i’m only scratching the surface.
The wacky filter pattern shimmer stuff is cool but I have an H9 and that is high level further out than i’ll ever need!
Next experiments will be Chase Tone secret preamp into dd-500, and a/b with DD-2.
The DD-500 gets very close to the DD-2 in sound, though it's not a 100%. Feel is a little different IMHO. I preferred the SDE-3000 setting in the DD-500, by far. I tried the Secret Preamp into a Strymon DIG in a WDW setup, got some cool results. The Secret Preamp gave the DIG a much needed 3D feel, and warmth, even in the 12-bit setting on the DIG. Overall, however, I prefer my Secret Preamp in front of an amp, last in chain. I found that the EQ shift in an FX Loop or WDW setup was too dramatic, the Secret Preamp neutered the low end in that setup. I am curious about your findings with the DD-500. Keep us posted!

Last edited:

lefort_1

Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt
Platinum Supporting Member
I feel like people are saying "SDE-3000" sometimes when they mean "SDD-3000". Or maybe they're not?

:huh
I could be wrong (NEVER HAPPENS, lol) but I believe a number of them are referring to the echo 'device type' in the DD-500's "Vintagte Digital" grouping.... it uses "SDE-3000" instead of SDD-3000, probably to get around a trademark infringement, or some such.

From the DD-500 Manual online at Boss. (sorry, it was in a nice table format, but cut-n-paste screws that up) :
- from https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/DD-500_e02_W.pdf

MODE: VINTAGE DIGITAL
Parameter Explanation
TYPE Selects the type of unit that is being modeled.
FILTER Turns the high-cut filter on/off when TYPE is set to “SDE-3000.”
TIMEx2 Specifies whether the sampling frequency is halved and the delay time doubled when TYPE is set to “SDE-2000” or “SDE-3000.”
DELAY PHASE Specifies the phase of the delay sound when TYPE is set to “SDE-2000” or “SDE-3000.”
Selecting INV inverts the phase.
FEEDBACK PHASE Specifies the phase of the delay sound feedback when TYPE is set to “SDE-2000” or “SDE-3000.”
Selecting INV inverts the phase.

mentoneman

I feel like people are saying "SDE-3000" sometimes when they mean "SDD-3000". Or maybe they're not?

:huh
Yes-kinda

The post is dd-500 pedal v sdd 3000 pedal.

There is an sdd 3000 rack delay unit, that the sdd 3000 pedal was originally trying to reproduce.

The dd-500 has an sde-2000, sde-3000, and dd-2 emulation in it’s vintage catagory of delay types.
But the original question is still valid; can the dd-500 sound like the sdd-3000 pedal?

I am familiar with the sdd3000 pedal, the sde3000 rack delay, and own a sde1000 delay.

Never owned or played through the sdd3000 rack unit, but heard one in person someone was playing. They are all in the same family and have obvious similarities in build, sound and tone.

Shnobel did an a/b of the sdd pedal v rack eons ago:

mentoneman

The DD-500 gets very close to the DD-2 in sound, though it's not a 100%. Feel is a little different IMHO. I preferred the SDE-3000 setting in the DD-500, by far. I tried the Secret Preamp into a Strymon DIG in a WDW setup, got some cool results. The Secret Preamp gave the DIG a much needed 3D feel, and warmth, even in the 12-bit setting on the DIG. Overall, however, I prefer my Secret Preamp in front of an amp, last in chain. I found that the EQ shift in an FX Loop or WDW setup was too dramatic, the Secret Preamp neutered the low end in that setup. I am curious about your findings with the DD-500. Keep us posted!
Initial vibe is while the secret>dd-500 is ok, it’s not the same as the rack input preamp magic of the sde’s nor the sdd pedal input preamp feel/tone interaction.
The secret was just basically making the sound louder with a eq boost in the freqs based on the voice switch.

The internal eq/gain in the dd-500 is definitely more effective and surgical that the secret in that use.

the dd-2 v dd-500’s dd-2 emulation?
Read dd-2 is purer and clearer sounding but the 500 has better flexibility and overall pretty nice job getting close to dd-2. As a player you feel it in stethoscope mode but the audience wouldn’t know and at stage volume inperceivable.

embrionic

just a hunch, and not as an owner of the DD-500, but I would guess Boss is referring to the older Roland units (80's) when referring to "SDE-anything", not the Korg SDD-3000. Those Roland delays where quite good as well. AFIK, only the Korg SDD-3000 had something magical about the preamp to bring line-level signals up to instrument level, and this is largely what the 3000 became popular for, even though the 2000 (and IIRC the 1000 as well) also had a preamp to accommodate guitar level signal.

critter74

Silver Supporting Member
I could be wrong (NEVER HAPPENS, lol) but I believe a number of them are referring to the echo 'device type' in the DD-500's "Vintagte Digital" grouping.... it uses "SDE-3000" instead of SDD-3000, probably to get around a trademark infringement, or some such.

From the DD-500 Manual online at Boss. (sorry, it was in a nice table format, but cut-n-paste screws that up) :
- from https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/DD-500_e02_W.pdf
Yes-kinda

The post is dd-500 pedal v sdd 3000 pedal.

There is an sdd 3000 rack delay unit, that the sdd 3000 pedal was originally trying to reproduce.

The dd-500 has an sde-2000, sde-3000, and dd-2 emulation in it’s vintage catagory of delay types.
But the original question is still valid; can the dd-500 sound like the sdd-3000 pedal?

I am familiar with the sdd3000 pedal, the sde3000 rack delay, and own a sde1000 delay.

Never owned or played through the sdd3000 rack unit, but heard one in person someone was playing. They are all in the same family and have obvious similarities in build, sound and tone.

Shnobel did an a/b of the sdd pedal v rack eons ago:

No the aren’t trying to get around anything. Korg had the SDD Series (1000, 1200, 2000, 3000) and Roland had the SDE series (1000, 2000, 2500, 3000, 330). The Ro,and rack units and add-2 shared the same large processing chip hence why they are in the same category in the DD-500.

The Roland SDE and Korg SDD were both popular single unit rack delay units in the 80’s.

mentoneman

What do you think ?

I picked up a DD-500 and MD-500 about a month ago. Did the update on the DD-500 to 2.1. So far I'm really happy with the sound and control.
So far it’s impressive. Feel and sound is great focusing on the vintage mode only. They did manage to capture much of the sde rack and dd-2 pedal vibe in this thing!
Haven’t checked if it is updated or not (got it used).
Is there a way without hooking into a computer?

I use my SDD as my primary reverb. Kosmic setting works great for this.

I’ve tried to replace the SDD for years, mostly because of its well known shortcomings, but by the time I replaced the reverb, delay and preamp functionality, what’s the point? And, frankly, I don’t like most reverbs or delays as much as the gigantic Korg.

The DD500 is a great pedal, but the Korg is the only pedal besides my tuner that never leaves the rig.

mentoneman

I’ve tried to replace the SDD for years, mostly because of its well known shortcomings, but by the time I replaced the reverb, delay and preamp functionality, what’s the point? And, frankly, I don’t like most reverbs or delays as much as the gigantic Korg.

The DD500 is a great pedal, but the Korg is the only pedal besides my tuner that never leaves the rig.
I had my friend’s korg sdd3k pedal for a few months on my board and it’s great for sure.
Mostly great overall except:
1) a bit big and heavy on my board 2) slightly noisier than other delays i was using
3) the input gain broke up in a slightly harsher way than i was expecting

Had the demo guy at NAMM walk through the preamp with me in 2015

MIM#1

Same thing with the Korg Delay Lab, great reverb that when dialed in I prefer to the mono WET or RV-6 that I own.
Finally just gave in to the fact that I need to make room for this rather large box, it's not going anywhere!

So far it’s impressive. Feel and sound is great focusing on the vintage mode only. They did manage to capture much of the sde rack and dd-2 pedal vibe in this thing!
Haven’t checked if it is updated or not (got it used).
Is there a way without hooking into a computer?
The manual shows how to check what version. No computer needed and very easy. To update you need a computer. Very easy to do. Took only a few minutes. I did mine last weekend to the new version 2.1 from 1.1. Highly recommend doing the update. It expanded the possibilities, more EQ options, adds several patches and added 5 algorithms.... among other things. It was a substantial update.

1. Hold down the [ EXIT ] button , and connect a plug to the INPUT A/MONO jack. Then it will turn on.
    * Press and hold the [ EXIT ] button until "DD-500" appears on the display.
  2. The display indicates the current system version.
  3. Disconnect the plug from the INPUT A/MONO jack.
* Don't perform the update if the product is already up-to-date.

I haven't done a side by side comparison with any of my vintage analog or digital delay units.
The sound and feel is excellent. The amount of control is extensive. Beyond what I have seen in any other delay pedal.

Last edited:

mentoneman

The manual shows how to check what version. No computer needed and very easy. To update you need a computer. Very easy to do. Took only a few minutes. I did mine last weekend to the new version 2.1 from 1.1. Highly recommend doing the update. It expanded the possibilities, more EQ options, adds several patches and added 5 algorithms.... among other things. It was a substantial update.

1. Hold down the [ EXIT ] button , and connect a plug to the INPUT A/MONO jack. Then it will turn on.
    * Press and hold the [ EXIT ] button until "DD-500" appears on the display.
  2. The display indicates the current system version.
  3. Disconnect the plug from the INPUT A/MONO jack.
* Don't perform the update if the product is already up-to-date.

I haven't done a side by side comparison with any of my vintage analog or digital delay units.
The sound and feel is excellent. The amount of control is extensive. Beyond what I have seen in any other delay pedal.
Thanks to your encouragement, I did the instructions you laid out and verified it was updated to 2.1 already:) Really nice sounds in it--very clear and full with loads of parameter control in a rack-y kinda way.
Kinda interested in a tremolo patch i stumbled on.

I dread hooking it into my computer because I have Roland-Boss-Yamaha-Korg-Lexicon-Eventide manual/menu PTSD! but I survived a recent bout with my Katana so I may have to deep dive again to organize and audition patches.o_O Prayers appreciated:D

I haven't tried any of these yet. Should ballpark the sounds of pretty much any delay with all the parameters.

mentoneman

I haven't tried any of these yet. Should ballpark the sounds of pretty much any delay with all the parameters.
So many parameters...o_O
But you’re right-should be able to dial in anything! This guy did a nice quick demo of the range of this box:

It goes way beyond what I thought it would when I bought it. I wish the manual was more detailed. I'm basically taking apart the presets to figure out how to do many things. Because it isn't covered in the manual.
I really like the Tera Echo. Analog, Tape and Vintage Digital fits my taste also. Actually I found things in all the modes and algorithms I like. I just need to spend enough time with it to get a full understanding of range. I picked up the MD-500 at the same time so learning both of them.

I'm look at the Axe Fx III and Neural DSP Quad Cortex..... I pretty much stick with analog. But the digital stuff is is getting pretty good.

mentoneman

Just took the dd-500 space echo preset for a long spin between two amps in stereo. Learned a lot more about the box.
Definitely not as magic as my real space echo felt and sounded even with the secret preamp out front, but nice.

As far as tape sounds go I think for now I favor my nux tape core for roland space echo wooly multi head sounds and flashback for longer echoplex atmospheres.
I wish hughes and kettner made an upgraded smaller replex with the same feel and sound of the tube/preamp hardware of that box which i loved, with more of the flashback and boss dd-500 algos and flexibility.

Trending Topics